Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Based on the WGR interview with RK, it seems pretty clear that Hall will be playing with Jack, and pretty likely that VO and Cozens will play RW.  RK stressed the flexibility and multitude of options they have, but I think he's thinking:

Hall-Eichel-VO

Skinner-Staal-Reino

Reider/TT-Eakin-Cozens

Zemgus-Lazar-KO

Think so too, good stuff. Get Rieder into that 13th forward spot. 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Expecting the D addition is out of reach at this point, but do expect at minimum an upgrade of Hutton.  That combined with major upgrades to the top 6 should net out positively the standing pat/ slight downgrades to the bottom 6 & the D.

Is this because of the Cap? Are you thinking the only space we have for a goalie is money in/money out now, meaning we probably have one more bullet to fire (RHD)?

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Eh they jump through tables, so what

This is just a great sentence to see, read, and have been typed. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Based on the WGR interview with RK, it seems pretty clear that Hall will be playing with Jack, and pretty likely that VO and Cozens will play RW.  RK stressed the flexibility and multitude of options they have, but I think he's thinking:

Hall-Eichel-VO

Skinner-Staal-Reino

Reider/TT-Eakin-Cozens

Zemgus-Lazar-KO

Is Eakin really the "experienced" center we want Cozens learning from?

Just now, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Is Eakin really the "experienced" center we want Cozens learning from?

He may need to be on 2RW. 

There is zero chance is h-e-double hockey sticks that the day after Hall I'm not loading up my top 6 in proposals though, it's too fun, so I like to imagine Cozens and Thompson being good-to-go to the extent, in a sheltered 3rd line role, maybe THEY are the ones rejuvenating Eakin. From Eakin maybe they learn about the more "being a pro" side. Maybe his effort level. It's admittedly more of a best-case-scenario lineup but, I like laying it out that way at this point in time. 

27 minutes ago, Peter said:

After listening to Taylor Hall during the press conference and reading his letter and watching his video, I could not be more impressed with the guy or excited for this upcoming season.

Agreed. He comes across very well in the interview and gives proper full answers to questions. Even makes it clear (albeit implicitly) he thinks its Eichel's team and he is there to support that

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Agreed. He comes across very well in the interview and gives proper full answers to questions. Even makes it clear (albeit implicitly) he thinks its Eichel's team and he is there to support that

Indeed.

Everything about the press conference reflected really well on Taylor.

He clearly is very bright and thoughtful in the way he went about this and also in responding to the questions.

Taylor expertly dealt with some of the negative Nancies in the media (who seemed like they were trying to look like they were being held hostage or were homeless and could not be bothered to shave etc.) who asked questions that pushed their narratives.  A few questions were like - why would you ever come to Buffalo - yes, I am exaggerating but still).

Taylor clearly did his homework on the team, Buffalo, the Bills, and the Pegulas.

What you mentioned also impressed me. Taylor went out of his way to say Jack is the best player on the team.  Taylor was the first pick in the draft and did not have to go out of his way to say that about Jack. To me, that shows that Taylor is a team first guy and he will not let whatever ego he has get in the way of that.  I also think that he will fit in very well with the team, fans, and city.  It also helps that his parents can drive to Buffalo to watch games if they can.

I am very excited and hopeful that this is not a one year and done deal.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I remember that… He took a skate blade to the head when someone tried jumping over his head with his helmet off… If I’m not mistaken it was during a pregame skate… Correct me if I’m wrong. I remember something along those lines. I didn’t think it was a puck that struck him. Or maybe it was both puck and skate.

Good memory.  You are correct (note: video is actually linked in the text above the pic in my post.)

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Is this because of the Cap? Are you thinking the only space we have for a goalie is money in/money out now, meaning we probably have one more bullet to fire (RHD)?

This is just a great sentence to see, read, and have been typed. 

Because of the cap & because Adams spoke quite highly of Irwin.  (And it didn't seem to be just 'hey we signed this guy, of course he's good' hyperbole.  Davidson never got mentioned.)  So much so, that my guess is he's pencilled into the top 6 and that an RHD will go away to bring back a goalie.

Maybe the cap isn't too tight but, after RFA's are signed they'll have ~$6MM left & they'll have about $3 or so going out the door from the D-man going away for the goalie but unless the team they trade with takes Hutton back then they're back to ~$6MM left and need to try to save ~$3MM for Dahlin & other ELC bonuses.  $3MM to cover extra guys up due to injuries is ~ what other teams shoot for as well, so they wouldn't want to go too far into that to bring in a better D than Irwin.  My 2 cents.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Because of the cap & because Adams spoke quite highly of Irwin.  (And it didn't seem to be just 'hey we signed this guy, of course he's good' hyperbole.  Davidson never got mentioned.)  So much so, that my guess is he's pencilled into the top 6 and that an RHD will go away to bring back a goalie.

Maybe the cap isn't too tight but, after RFA's are signed they'll have ~$6MM left & they'll have about $3 or so going out the door from the D-man going away for the goalie but unless the team they trade with takes Hutton back then they're back to ~$6MM left and need to try to save ~$3MM for Dahlin & other ELC bonuses.  $3MM to cover extra guys up due to injuries is ~ what other teams shoot for as well, so they wouldn't want to go too far into that to bring in a better D than Irwin.  My 2 cents.

Oh ok, I was actually under the impression there was zero space sans removing a RHD. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Well, according to GA they're already $2MM above cap, but pretty sure that's not the case.  😉

Twitter Chad had 13 mil in space before Reino, Ullmark and Olofsson. I was thinking those 3 made the 13 - and that's spending to the cap, I think. Thus necessitating a trade to upgrade in net. 

You are the cap (among other things) guru around here though so tell me what to think cap wise and I'll think it. 

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Twitter Chad had 13 mil in space before Reino, Ullmark and Olofsson. I was thinking those 3 made the 13 - and that's spending to the cap, I think. Thus necessitating a trade to upgrade in net. 

You are the cap (among other things) guru around here though so tell me what to think cap wise and I'll think it. 

Haven't looked close at it AT ALL this off-season so don't hold me there on that yet.  Sorry.  The 4 QO's total ~7MM and Pilut's won't get signed, so yeah, the real $'s will probably leave them $2MM rather than $6MM below the cap. (Reinhart ~$6MM, Olofsson ~$3MM, Ullmark ~$2MM.)  (Had been hearing the $6MM remaining & thought it was prediction for after they're signed not just after the QO's.)  So, yeah, not expecting another D brought in if goaltending is upgraded.

Would be surprised to see Kahun back either after signing Hall.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I like this take 

So...do we think in the 1st tweet he meant to say "was fantastic" instead of "wasn't fantastic?"  Otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

Interesting the Sabres didn't offer term

Wow.  So he was ready for a long-term deal and the Sabres got him to take a 1-year deal?

That is some great salesmanship by KA, RK and TP/KP.

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So...do we think in the 1st tweet he meant to say "was fantastic" instead of "wasn't fantastic?"  Otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

Wow.  So he was ready for a long-term deal and the Sabres got him to take a 1-year deal?

It's potentially a savvy move by both parties:

1. KA and RK get to tryout an elite talent to see if there's a good fit and production worthy of a Jeff Skinner+ contract in price and term.  They also get some time to finagle the Sabres cap situation and the upcoming RFAs (Dahlin).  If things work out, they make a hefty, but worthwhile, contract extension offer.
  2. TH gets to tryout the Sabres org.  He takes some injury risk on a one year, but in a weird, flat salary cap year with lots of uncertainty, he buys one year of slightly reduced contract ($8M instead of $9M+) in order to play next to Jack and put his stats off the rails.  If successful, he goes UFA in a better economic climate and better stats and gets a monster deal in price and term, easily gaining back his slightly reduced price.  If the Sabres fall flat, he wields his NMC to chose which playoff team to go to.  Bonus: he gets to play for a coach he says he likes.
Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So, a few weeks ago, if someone had told us that the Sabres had added Taylor Hall and Eric Staal to their top 6, AND that Cozens was such a force of nature in training camp that he forced his way in and Reino to 3RW, I think 97% of us would have been insanely psyched for opening night. 

And, as long as we're entertaining the idea, it's worth noting that Reino is an RFA, and the Sabres just gave Montour, also an RFA, a contract that walked him to UFA.  A 2-year contract would similarly walk Reino to UFA.  If they gave him that contract, the Sabres might find themselves, next offseason, in the position of choosing between a fat extension for Hall and a fat extension for Reino.  That would be an interesting subplot, and would probably motivate both guys throughout the season, and would lend extra weight to the question of which one plays with Eichel.

Or been given a psych eval in an insane asylum for even entertaining the thought of landing him. 😉

I'm still black and blue from pinching myself...finally had to admit to myself that it wasn't just a dream. 

I wish we were closer to opening night. Let's shore up the goaltending and get after it. GO SABRES!!!

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Has to be. Wish twitter had an edit feature

27 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Pure awesomeness 

2AC87D4B-C32C-496B-BEBD-9C0CD0E6CE17.jpeg

Beautiful, honestly. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.