Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

CURRENT (not future potential) value of Thompson AND Mitts ... would garner an aging borderline NHL backup goalie. No better than a Hutton level. It would be nice to think they would get us a “starting level” of goalie. But current value ... no way.

It is clearly why I originally stated Mitts, Tage and someone else. Reino? Risto? Montour? IDK, but my original comment was more than just Mitts and Tage.

Just now, Ross Rhea said:

It is clearly why I originally stated Mitts, Tage and someone else. Reino? Risto? Montour? IDK, but my original comment was more than just Mitts and Tage.

So you detailed the less valuable parts of the deal and then waved your hand at the valuable part? Haha

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Interesting the Sabres didn't offer term

Cap hits...

Eichel(6 years) 10m
Skinner((7 years) 9m
Sam(x years) 6-7m?
KO(3 years) 6m
Dahlin(x years) 6-9m?
VO(x years) 4m?

I think the Sabres would have to be very very careful before offering Hall a multi-year deal, and ending up in Cap Hell like the Leafs are currently.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Minor quibble: Staal didn't push anybody down the food chain.  He upgraded the former misplaced 2C Johansson.

Hall absolutely makes the top 6 an above average unit.

As such, the team finally can follow the tried & true NHL blueprint of the post-lockout era.  2 strong scoring lines, a defensive/2 way line, & a young/cheap line.

Expecting, much to Hank's & our chagrin, that with Irwin's addition that they believe they have the top 6 set & as soon as a trade for a goalie happens we'll know which 6 that will be.

Once we see the goalie trade we'll know whether Ullmark is 1A or 1B & whether Hutton is retained as insurance in a compressed year or whether they think Johansson can be good enough in a pinch.  Also, really am hoping that the new goalie is a huge part of improving the PK.  Don't care how good Hall, Eakin, Reider, &/or Irwin are on the PK; if they can't pressure the puck for fear of letting a pass get through that they know Hutton can't stop in transition then the PK will suffer again.  If they can trust the goalies, all 3 PK F pairings & both PK D pairings automatically improve even w/out the apparent talent upgrades.

We are for the most part in accord. And we are in accord on the PK issue and the goaltending factor in its diminution. There is no doubt that with the addition of Staal and Hall the roster has been upgraded. And if you add in the fact that last year we had a lot of young players (Dahlin, Joki, Tage etc)  on this roster whose trajectory is still upward. It is expected that with the internal improvement it should be an elevating factor.

I won't say that last year's roster was a playoff roster because as you well know it was an incomplete roster. Simply too many holes. On the other hand with a little more attention to detail like the PK it was a fringe playoff caliber team not far away from qualifying for the playoffs. And another uplifting factor is that many of the players will be more familiar with Krueger's philosophy/system of responsible full rink play. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have no hot take either way, but however the Hall situation turns out, it's going to be fun finding out. (Unless he's Leino Reincarnage, which I highly doubt.) There's nothing to not like about the Sabres adding a top offensive talent. Mainly there's hope, and we know what ole Andy D. (not Delmore) said about hope.

(Meant to type Reincarnate above, but the typo is too good to fix.)

• Like (+1) 3

Watching the interview it is apparent this is thoughtful man who knows exactly what he wants and is making a well-thought out and informed decision on his future.  This makes the signing that much better to me. 

At first I thought this was a 1 year lets-take-advantage-of-open-cap-space-before-we-open-the-wallet-for-Dahlin&Joker-next-year signing for us and Taylor was just looking for a payday before he left for greener pastures next year.  This really does seem like a tryout for both sides and I can't be happier.  

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

This is great news. Decent contract too!

I wouldn’t play him with Eichel. Hall likes to drive a line. Happened with McDavid and it just looked clunky.

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

Hall - Staal - Olofson (or Cozens)

A moment to dream: Casey has spent the last 10 months remembering how to play hockey and started watching videos of Arnold Schwarzenegger on YouTube. He became intrigued what those metal poles were he saw Arny lifting. Upon enquiry with friends and family he learnt about a building called ‘Jim’ where we could go and get strong. Casey formed a close relationship with Jim and has bulked up.

Cozens - Mitts - Thompson as a sheltered third line - an echo of the Roy / Vanek / Afinogenov line

I, too, could also see it end up being that Hall works better with Staal (and Reinhart), but there's a couple things that'll make this different from 15-16, IMO. One is that, McDavid only played 45 games that season. I'm not sure they ever had a massive sample size to go on. McDavid is also a different type of fast than Jack. McDavid is almost always moving at 50 miles an hour. Jack is exceptionally fast, but he frequently slows down play to his liking at any time he wants, analyzing and using his power and length to keep space. May reduce some of that clunk you saw. Jack and Taylor can be lightning quick together when they want in a way no one else has been with Jack, but I don't think they'll go full speed in the way McDavid would constantly demand. 

Another thing that makes me think Eichel and Hall would be a better fit than McDavid and Hall is that Jack is a right shot. Him and Taylor would be passing to each other both on their forehand which makes things a tad smoother when charging at full go. 

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I wonder if Eichel is the best center he's ever played with. 

Assuredly is. There is a sizeable gap between current JE and 15-16 McDavid. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

What a great letter from Taylor about the signing.  Also, he works out with Skinner in the summer.  

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/fans/letter-from-taylor-hall?fbclid=IwAR1K5gYAgQ1318nXpyEKpcA6GcYjeZT6GKSBnuyh5HtIszg7kWruZEhIyzE

Jesus, after reading that, I want an 82 game season to start tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Which is why Olofsson should be in the top 6.  Let Cozens get acclimated on a 3rd scoring line & bump him up when he's ready.  Having 7 or 8 forwards that belong in the top 6 is how good teams make things happen.  And if Cozens can earn a top 6 role out of camp, great.  But he needs to earn it & heck, even Seguin spent ome time on the 4th line learning the ropes.

We want Cozens to become Schiefele, basically. With a better two-way game. I think he can get there. His development path, from the same draft position, is one I could see arising, just like you highlight there ^

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Olofsson prefers his off side. If I can put him on the 3rd line and mismatch all while keeping him fresh for the PP, I probably do it. 

I think Thompson is most likely for the 2 rw role to start. 

If Cozens isn't in the top 6, and he isn't at C, he is going to be the third line RW.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I have no hot take either way, but however the Hall situation turns out, it's going to be fun finding out. (Unless he's Leino Reincarnage, which I highly doubt.) There's nothing to not like about the Sabres adding a top offensive talent. Mainly there's hope, and we know what ole Andy D. (not Delmore) said about hope.

(Meant to type Reincarnate above, but the typo is too good to fix.)

Not only that but it was a CRITICAL signing for the overall health and morale of the organization.  You’ve got the fanbase and the star player on the verge of giving up, and so this couldn’t have happened at a better time regardless of the outcome - it sends the exact right message to key stakeholders.  This has been the darkest time I can remember in franchise history and that’s saying a lot considering a previous owner went bankrupt and to jail.  Signing Hall gives everything a needed shot of adrenaline.  The importance of this signing cannot be overstated.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Which is why IMHO the top line should be Hall - Eichel - Olofsson.  Having those 2 plus Dahlin to feed him 1 timers, he could have a huge year.

Reinhart can do the boardwork on the 2nd line.

It's going to be a ridiculous top line with that set up, I actually cannot wait. 

I'd throw Reinhart up there in moments of dire need - Hall - Eichel - Reinhart is, for my money the best line in hockey, if we are getting the best of Taylor Hall. Highlighting the type of player, the line might as well read:

MVP - MVP - Einhorn

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, carpandean said:

I remember that… He took a skate blade to the head when someone tried jumping over his head with his helmet off… If I’m not mistaken it was during a pregame skate… Correct me if I’m wrong. I remember something along those lines. I didn’t think it was a puck that struck him. Or maybe it was both puck and skate.

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Judging by last season, no. 

I was at the game that he started in Arizona.  He was terrible.  He looked nervous and uncomfortable - he looked like a minor leaguer who was in over his head.  Perhaps he will overcome the rookie jitters and became a decent NHL player, but based on what I saw, I wouldn't count on it.

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

I was at the game that he started in Arizona.  He was terrible.  He looked nervous and uncomfortable - he looked like a minor leaguer who was in over his head.  Perhaps he will overcome the rookie jitters and became a decent NHL player, but based on what I saw, I wouldn't count on it.

This was about Jonas Johansson and in response to a question whether he could be relied on as a backup when called up....

6 hours ago, Weave said:

If Hall gets close to 70 points that second line was smoking hot.  Gimmesome

What's great is, in a down year, split between two teams, without a C close to Jack, Hall put up a 66 point pace. So, he was already "close to 70", at a true 1st line level, as a BASE, without those factors listed that I see huge potential gain in. I could see him exploding. 

- - - 

I don't believe in speaking things into existence so I'll say it - this is the first time since we've had Jack that, heaven forbid he misses some time with an injury, I've felt we legitimately have a dude who can step up his game for a stretch to carry us through. He's already done it. 

This includes the years we had ROR.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.