Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Let's stand back and assess the roster. The top two lines however they end up being constituted are staffed with players who meet the standard of players who genuinely fit those roles. Because of the acquisitions of Hall and Staal it will push players to lower lines where they are better suited. The defensive corps without question has enough quality players to put together a genuine first and second pairing unit. Dahlin, Joki, Risto, Montour and stretching it a bit McCabe. There is enough talent within the group to spread to the third and lower pairing to make this unit a solid to good unit. There will probably be some player shuffling becomes of some overlapping attributes but in general this is a solid to good unit. 

The big question mark that is widely recognized is the goaltending. If Ullmark continues his upward trajectory as he did last season then he should be a solid goaltender. The big question mark and a bigger issue in a season with a compressed schedule is Hutton. Are his eye issues resolved? I don't know. Can he return to form and become an adequate backup? I'm not sure. Marty Biron has often stated that as long as Hutton is not over-used he is not troubled having him as a backup.  

It shouldn't be forgotten that the Sabres brought in some mid-tier players who should help to upgrade the PK, a major deficiency last year. With the added talent, the internal improvement and tightening of play on the PK and goaltending this is a very competitive to good team. 

Minor quibble: Staal didn't push anybody down the food chain.  He upgraded the former misplaced 2C Johansson.

Hall absolutely makes the top 6 an above average unit.

As such, the team finally can follow the tried & true NHL blueprint of the post-lockout era.  2 strong scoring lines, a defensive/2 way line, & a young/cheap line.

Expecting, much to Hank's & our chagrin, that with Irwin's addition that they believe they have the top 6 set & as soon as a trade for a goalie happens we'll know which 6 that will be.

Once we see the goalie trade we'll know whether Ullmark is 1A or 1B & whether Hutton is retained as insurance in a compressed year or whether they think Johansson can be good enough in a pinch.  Also, really am hoping that the new goalie is a huge part of improving the PK.  Don't care how good Hall, Eakin, Reider, &/or Irwin are on the PK; if they can't pressure the puck for fear of letting a pass get through that they know Hutton can't stop in transition then the PK will suffer again.  If they can trust the goalies, all 3 PK F pairings & both PK D pairings automatically improve even w/out the apparent talent upgrades.

• Like (+1) 1

i said it last year, i thought the sabres would surprise a lot of people. and they did, for a little while until the wheels fell off. 

i will say it again this year, i think the sabres can make the playoffs this year. i also feel if they can get 1 solid defenseman (big in size) and a top line goalie, they will have a chance to do something special. they definitely need someone who can play big. i know tage thompson is big, but i dont know if he is tough. seeing how tampa tossed them around last year, makes me really believe it

i am really looking forward for this season

Edited by miles
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, miles said:

i said it last year, i thought the sabres would surprise a lot of people. and they did, for a little while until the wheels fell off. 

i will say it again this year, i think the sabres can make the playoffs this year. i also feel if they can get 1 solid defenseman (big in size) and a top line goalie, they will have a chance to do something special

i am really looking forward for this season

Expecting the D addition is out of reach at this point, but do expect at minimum an upgrade of Hutton.  That combined with major upgrades to the top 6 should net out positively the standing pat/ slight downgrades to the bottom 6 & the D.

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Don't know, man.  If he's not willing to go through a table for this team how much heart can he really have? 😛

The 'go Bills' was a nice touch.

2 minutes ago, miles said:

what does smash into a fold up table mean? is that like wwf wrestling stuff?

It's a reference to the Bills Mafia & tailgating at the Home of Tailgating.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Thankfully I was way too old when this became a thing.  Because if it had become a thing when I was young, I know I would have done it.

Luke: How did we get past that tailgate? I thought we were drunk.

Ben: The Concept Of the Table can have a strong influence over the weak-minded.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.