Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

After hearing Adams say they like what Irwin brings am starting to expect the RHD that goes out the door to do so as part of the package to upgrade the goaltending.

Kinda hope we upgrade better than Irwin on LD but a nice G upgrade is more important. 

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Could that be Reider?

Guy is supposed to be good defensively, and averaged 14 goals and 30 points over a four-year stretch with the Coyotes.

Then he went to Edmonton two years ago and the bottom fell out.

Eakin is getting a lot of flak for his charts, but both he and Reider have the potential to be buy-low guys coming off bad years, when you look a little into their past.

If Rieder plays with Eakin and Thompson, where does that leave Cozens, Girgs and Lazar? Don't really like that. 

I most likely see Rieder as built for a role with the Lazar Girgensons and Okposos of world, or 13th forward, cause if he's in the lineup and he's not, I don't see anyone else on the roster aside from Eakin as someone I'd wanna play with those mentioned guys. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Tweet of the night

Hopefully, this time, they learned from their mistake and if he doesn't re-sign by the deadline they move him out for a boatload of future assets.So if he is happy and re-signs we win now and if not we win later. It's a win signing either way. 

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How does this rank under most surprising moves ever made by the franchise?

Given the climate before it happened I'd say for me it's most surprising ever. 

Taylor Hall has only topped 30 goals once in his career.

He has scored 20 six times and paced for at least 20 every year his season was cut short by injury, lockout or pandemic.

His best season was 93 points, his worst 53 (prorated).

He has averaged about 27 goals and 70 points a season over 82 games for his career and has 4 seasons out of 10 of more than a point a game.

Edited by dudacek

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hopefully, this time, they learned from their mistake and if he doesn't re-sign by the deadline they move him out for a boatload of future assets.So if he is happy and re-signs we win now and if not we win later. It's a win signing either way. 

Given the climate before it happened I'd say for me it's most surprising ever. 

It is surprising. But if you think about it, it's time for us to accept some of the things that go along with having a bonafide, not just superstar, but MVP level centre - people know about Jack Eichel now, last season was his coming out party. He's "I'm going to sign with this team" worthy. 

Edited by Thorny

This is great news. Decent contract too!

I wouldn’t play him with Eichel. Hall likes to drive a line. Happened with McDavid and it just looked clunky.

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

Hall - Staal - Olofson (or Cozens)

A moment to dream: Casey has spent the last 10 months remembering how to play hockey and started watching videos of Arnold Schwarzenegger on YouTube. He became intrigued what those metal poles were he saw Arny lifting. Upon enquiry with friends and family he learnt about a building called ‘Jim’ where we could go and get strong. Casey formed a close relationship with Jim and has bulked up.

Cozens - Mitts - Thompson as a sheltered third line - an echo of the Roy / Vanek / Afinogenov line

Edited by Trettioåtta
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

It is. From what I understood, part of the JNot plan was to shed space to eventually get where the Sabres were this offseason. 

Now KA is enjoying the fruits of his patience and labor. 

BS.  There was enough cap space each of the past two off seasons to add a C.  To imply that Botterill had his hands tied is just not true.

Not to mention that money in/ money out trades can be made.  You know, like trading Johansson for Staal, where the Sabres actually gained cap space in the deal.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

He has scored 20 six times and paced for at least 20 every year his season was cut short by injury, lockout or pandemic.

He has averaged about 27 goals and 70 points a season over 82 games for his career and has 4 seasons out of 10 of more than a point a game.

I wonder if Eichel is the best center he's ever played with. 

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

He might be thinking that playing on Eichel’s wing for a team that often has to make up a goal differential gives him a decent shot at a 30-goal season and a monster next contract.

40 minutes ago, Skibum said:

I'll take it, but it seems odd that the biggest prize in free agency would take a 1 year deal for 8 mil. I would have thought a guy with Taylor Hall's resume would do better for himself than that. 

I sure like the one year deal from the Sabres point of view. Sure, Hall probably would be nice long term, but I like the financial freedom going forward. If he does real well, maybe we lock him up longer, if not he walks with no strings attached. 

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

My wife recently read that carrots were not a standard orange until the House of Orange (royal family of the Netherlands) developed and promoted orange carrots and it caught on.

And William of Orange came to England and assumed the throne when James II was turning England into a Catholic country, this was the Glorious Revolution, and Orange has been the color of Protestants in that long standing war between Catholics and Protestants 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ross Rhea said:

Hmmmm........nice signing, now package Thompson, Mittlestadt and someone else for a good goalie.

Package the parts that you think you have  little value and give it to someone in exchange for something with value? 👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I love the signing and the term. I hope(with a small upgrade in goal and on LD) that this gets the Sabres into the playoffs. 

That being said, I hope the plan isn’t to attempt to sign him to a long term deal.  We would be just like the Leafs with too much tied up in 3 forwards...except our situation would be worse in that two of the players would soon be on the wrong side of 30. 

We will see.

In the meantime, fingers crossed that there is a 20-21 season, and the Sabres can get the stink of 10 years of losing, out of the locker room. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.