Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Saw this lineup on Twitter. 

Hall-Eichel-VO

Skinner-Staal-Cozens (My concern is he’s not ready for Top 6 Role)

Thompson-Eakin-Reinhart ( This is similar to Tuch-Eakin-Pacioretty line which Eakin had his most success with) 

Rieder/Zemgus-Lazar-Okposo 

I’d definitely switch out Cozens for Reinhart on the 2nd line

• Like (+1) 1

While I'm surprised Hall chose here for his one year (say, 1x$6.5M at Colorado) instead of chasing a championship. That's not to say we can't win a championship, I just think there are better contenders out there next year...

What doesn't surprise me is the shrewdness of a one-year deal this season from both sides. Hall can boost his numbers and decide if he wants to be in the Sabres' future. The one-year deal means he can walk, and also means the Sabres don't have to protect him and can instead protect a younger core player and let Seattle choose from bottom six players. Or give them a pick or two to take Okposo.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Andrew Amerk said:

What a difference cap space can make. 

I would have been OK with Eichel with Larry, and another pair of #4 actual NHL centres with NHL-calibre wingers.  That is a trivial ask and GMJB could not even do that.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I gather a Veloute Mushroom Sauce is the best for crow.  Looks like asparagus, multi-coloured carrots, small multi-coloured potatoes, and parsnips are good sides.  Add a pears and apples with a Waldorf-like salad, except that I substitute balsamic vinaigrette for mayonnaise.  White wine, semi-dry.

Who else is joining us?

I’m in

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Saw this lineup on Twitter. 

Hall-Eichel-VO

Skinner-Staal-Cozens (My concern is he’s not ready for Top 6 Role)

Thompson-Eakin-Reinhart ( This is similar to Tuch-Eakin-Pacioretty line which Eakin had his most success with) 

Rieder/Zemgus-Lazar-Okposo 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't see any circumstance in which Reinhart is not on one of the top two lines. 

So, a few weeks ago, if someone had told us that the Sabres had added Taylor Hall and Eric Staal to their top 6, AND that Cozens was such a force of nature in training camp that he forced his way in and Reino to 3RW, I think 97% of us would have been insanely psyched for opening night. 

And, as long as we're entertaining the idea, it's worth noting that Reino is an RFA, and the Sabres just gave Montour, also an RFA, a contract that walked him to UFA.  A 2-year contract would similarly walk Reino to UFA.  If they gave him that contract, the Sabres might find themselves, next offseason, in the position of choosing between a fat extension for Hall and a fat extension for Reino.  That would be an interesting subplot, and would probably motivate both guys throughout the season, and would lend extra weight to the question of which one plays with Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1

SabreSpace insider @john wawrow:  https://apnews.com/article/edmonton-oilers-nhl-edmonton-taylor-hall-hockey-169763225eec3e3839a6bf603db4e068

The deal came together after the Sabres made landing Hall their top priority in free agency, with second-year coach Ralph Krueger playing an integral role.

Krueger was an assistant in Edmonton during Hall’s rookie season, and then spent the 2012-13 lockout shortened year as the Oilers coach. In Hall’s one season playing under Krueger, he had 16 goals and 34 assists for 50 points in 45 games.

“I think the way that Ralph had built a relationship with Taylor previously, absolutely played a big role in this,” Adams said. “I know they spent quite a bit of time over the last few days talking. That to me is what’s critical in this, that we got to a place on both sides that there was a comfort level and we all wanted the same thing.”

• Thanks (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So, a few weeks ago, if someone had told us that the Sabres had added Taylor Hall and Eric Staal to their top 6, AND that Cozens was such a force of nature in training camp that he forced his way in and Reino to 3RW, I think 97% of us would have been insanely psyched for opening night. 

And, as long as we're entertaining the idea, it's worth noting that Reino is an RFA, and the Sabres just gave Montour, also an RFA, a contract that walked him to UFA.  A 2-year contract would similarly walk Reino to UFA.  If they gave him that contract, the Sabres might find themselves, next offseason, in the position of choosing between a fat extension for Hall and a fat extension for Reino.  That would be an interesting subplot, and would probably motivate both guys throughout the season, and would lend extra weight to the question of which one plays with Eichel.

The biggest advantage would be having a defensively responsible winger who drives play with Eakin and Thompson. That helps Eakin’s  Biggest Deficiency and would maximize His Usage 

2 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

I like it though I think they intend on giving Tage an everyday role

I do, too. But I've got him 13th based on what others bring to the table. He has to beat out Cozens. Cozens can't play in the AHL and Tage's salary and term might prevent him getting plucked off waivers if he needs more development.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Whether or not Olofsson or Reinhart are here will depend on what they get in arbitration will it not? I'd figure if they are given more than Sabres feel is right they'll try to move one or either of them. 

True. With this signing all cards are still on the table. It's finally one of those good-problem-to-have problems. The good news is that Kubalik was under 4. And Reinhart is probably in the 6-7 range with arbitration, so they're all still manageable unless the owners want an internal cap. 

These moves give players a chance to develop properly.

Cozens on the wing then moves to center

Mittlestadt to Rochester

Quinn gets returned to the OHL for another year of seasoning, rather then the temptation to bring him up to the NHL now. 
He’s AHL Eligible during the 2021-22 Season though as he will be 20 prior to Dec 31, 2021. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The biggest advantage would be having a defensively responsible winger who drives play with Eakin and Thompson. That helps Eakin’s  Biggest Deficiency and would maximize His Usage 

Could that be Reider?

Guy is supposed to be good defensively, and averaged 14 goals and 30 points over a four-year stretch with the Coyotes.

Then he went to Edmonton two years ago and the bottom fell out.

Eakin is getting a lot of flak for his charts, but both he and Reider have the potential to be buy-low guys coming off bad years, when you look a little into their past.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.