Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, MidwestSabresFan said:

Last time we heard that, we were duped by Leino... ugh. Let's not get into that disaster. 

Living 4hrs south of Minnie and 2 from their AHL affiliate, it shocked some people in the the Wild fanbase. 

It was kind of a shock and delight they pulled it off. 

Here's to the rise of the Sabres. 🤞🤞🤞

Welcome and please keep posting!

3 minutes ago, MidwestSabresFan said:

Last time we heard that, we were duped by Leino... ugh. Let's not get into that disaster. 

Living 4hrs south of Minnie and 2 from their AHL affiliate, it shocked some people in the the Wild fanbase. 

Welcome!

1 minute ago, MidwestSabresFan said:

Leino was a knee jerk reaction when they blinked on making a run at Brad Richards. He was never considered a top free agent on the market, more like a consolation prize. Hall is the real deal.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think there is a very low likelihood of this happening this coming season, BUT if he is stuck in Rochester all year, and the Sabres are good, and he gets to see what a good team looks like, and how hard he has to work and how much he has to deliver to be part of a good team, it might be the best possible thing for him in the long term.

Well, barring a slew of injuries, the only way we see Mittelstadt in a Sabres uni is if he can beat out at least 2 guys that are currently ahead of him on the depth chart.  Here's to hoping we see him this year, but not expecting it.  He'll finally be getting developed the right way.

Just now, Chevyvanmiller said:

Leino was a knee jerk reaction when they blinked on making a run at Brad Richards. He was never considered a top free agent on the market, more like a consolation prize. Hall is the real deal.

Oh, there were some praising the signing. I asked how one good season was worth the money they shoved at him for the length. That was a disaster. 

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

And Eichel!!

The story is far from written.  I think it's 75% likely that they bring in a goalie.

Separately:  Holy freaking mackerel!!

I think they are done signing forwards.  But there is going to be a real goalie upgrade, also in a low-risk, sensible deal, and maybe, but maybe not, a LHD-RHD adjustment.

Hall-Eichel-Reino

Skinner-Staal-VO

TT-Eakin-Cozens

Zemgus-Lazar/Reider-KO

Maybe TP found the right guys to run the Sabres. 

This deal had a huge Eichel component in it.  KA and the Sabres needed to prove to Jack that they were and are serious about winning.  Getting Hall is a great start. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Welcome!

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Welcome and please keep posting!

Thanks guys. I've posted a while back, but the system must have been reset. 

I'm a WNYer transplanted to Iowa. 

Glad there's something to talk about again, lol. Let's hope this trend continues!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

After hearing Adams say they like what Irwin brings am starting to expect the RHD that goes out the door to do so as part of the package to upgrade the goaltending.

I was thinking the same thing.  It's very possible, but I'd guess that it's not an absolute requirement in the Sabres' perspective -- I think they will continue to be flexible.  E.g. if they trade for Fleury they might rather include Hutton in the deal than Monty or Miller, or Vegas might prefer it, and then do a separate transaction involving the D (or not if the right one doesn't present itself).

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I was thinking the same thing.  It's very possible, but I'd guess that it's not an absolute requirement in the Sabres' perspective -- I think they will continue to be flexible.  E.g. if they trade for Fleury they might rather include Hutton in the deal than Monty or Miller, or Vegas might prefer it, and then do a separate transaction involving the D (or not if the right one doesn't present itself).

i will be honest. if i remember correctly, risto gave grief last year saying he wanted out publicly. i say trade risto for fleury just to get him out of here. although, i suspect risto makes too much

7 minutes ago, MidwestSabresFan said:

Oh, there were some praising the signing. I asked how one good season was worth the money they shoved at him for the length. That was a disaster. 

There was.  But that year Richards was the huge prize & everybody else was the consolation prize.

PS - welcome.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

There was.  But that year Richards was the huge prize & everybody else was the consolation prize.

PS - welcome.

Thanks!

I was one of the ones shaking their head... 

I'm glad that I heard both sides were optimistic to a long term deal if things work out. Just hope that's not KA towing the company line of positivity. 

33 minutes ago, Chevyvanmiller said:

The Sabres signed arguably the top free agent on the market. Will the anomalies of 2020 never cease?

What a great piece of news to end the weekend on.

It's not as much an anomaly as we'd expect. We've made some serious payouts in recent years. In 2016, Okposo was the top UFA after Stamkos stayed with the Lightning. And earlier, Moulson was one of the top wingers available. Skinner would've probably been the 2nd overall payout after Panarin last year.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MidwestSabresFan said:

Thanks!

I was one of the ones shaking their head... 

I'm glad that I heard both sides were optimistic to a long term deal if things work out. Just hope that's not KA towing the company line of positivity. 

Hall had really good things to say about Krueger when he was hired.  Have to believe the possibility to play for Krueger again alongside Eichel getting fed outlet passes from Dahlin has him thinking this MAY be a long term thing.

PS - like the avatar.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hall had really good things to say about Krueger when he was hired.  Have to believe the possibility to play for Krueger again alongside Eichel getting fed outlet passes from Dahlin has him thinking this MAY be a long term thing.

PS - like the avatar.

Oh, yeah.  That's the good stuff right there.

• Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm dishing up some myself, come on over!

I gather a Veloute Mushroom Sauce is the best for crow.  Looks like asparagus, multi-coloured carrots, small multi-coloured potatoes, and parsnips are good sides.  Add a pears and apples with a Waldorf-like salad, except that I substitute balsamic vinaigrette for mayonnaise.  White wine, semi-dry.

Who else is joining us?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

PS - like the avatar.

I would have thought RK would have a little at least a little to do with him signing. Sounded like the Edm was trending upward before organizational changes were made and RK was booted. Looks like it worked. 

The avatar was a wish I had for a new 3rd jersey after they went BACK to the blue and gold to combine the black and red era with the current. I still have the B&R 3rd Jersey, and not giving it up. Lol. 

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Looking at the bigger picture and KA addressed our center problem and penalty killing, while adding an elite winger to the top 6 which should also pay dividends on the power play.  We just need another goalie.  Can't complain honestly.  Oh and JBot was a really bad GM. 

There is a part of me that wonders if the Pegulas put too much trust in the NHL Ol' Boyz Grapevine -- both TM and JB were very highly regarded when the Sabres hired them.  Indeed, there are people in NHL media who put no blame on JB for the Sabres the last three years; it's almost as if they take PA's criticism of the Pegulas' meddling to an extreme.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

There is a part of me that wonders if the Pegulas put too much trust in the NHL Ol' Boyz Grapevine -- both TM and JB were very highly regarded when the Sabres hired them.  Indeed, there are people in NHL media who put no blame on JB for the Sabres the last three years; it's almost as if they take PA's criticism of the Pegulas' meddling to an extreme.

Agreed.  JBot should never be near a FO again.  Just brutal. 

1 hour ago, miles said:

the stealing of staal alone is more than jbot

Meh. We gave up a solid 3rd liner for Staal. 

JNot gave up Pu for Skinner. I get the Botts hatred, but come on. Everyone is giving Adams credit for a signing that seems like he had almost nothing to do with. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Saw this lineup on Twitter. 

Hall-Eichel-VO

Skinner-Staal-Cozens (My concern is he’s not ready for Top 6 Role)

Thompson-Eakin-Reinhart ( This is similar to Tuch-Eakin-Pacioretty line which Eakin had his most success with) 

Rieder/Zemgus-Lazar-Okposo 

I don't see any circumstance in which Reinhart is not on one of the top two lines. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.