Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

I love this this move.  Bringing in a Hart Trophy winner to the top 6.  

1 year is not the best deal though.  If we get “good” and he wants to stay the price only goes up.  Hey, I’ll take it.  

Staal and now Hall, this adds a lot.  

They just can't make the same mistake they did with Skinner and pay him based on a total he can't replicate (by self imposed line selection, I guess) 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is what I came up with:

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart 

Hall-Staal-Olofsson

Girgensons-Lazar-Okposo

Eakin-Cozens-Thompson

Rieder

This is just tremendous.  Two sexy looking lines, each with a legit MVP candidate level player, the pieces for a checking line that can be used defensively, and a line that is young and can be sheltered, but has nice offensive upside.

Just now, Thorny said:

Ya pretty much had the same. No way they don't at least try out the new guy with Jack, I mean come on, but could see it settling like that ^ too 

I go 

Skinner Eichel Olofsson

Hall Staal Reinhart

more balance, doesn't lose offensive potency and Eichel/Olof really clicked last year. 2000s night vs. CBJ, I was there, and Olofsson had just come back from injury. Eichel/Olof instantly connected and basically won that game just the two of them. Put a Taylor Hall who can pass with them, and holy moly.

Meanwhile, Reinhart is the experience two-way youth anchoring 2 former all-stars. They'll be just fine.

The bottom 6....is scary (bad).

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ya pretty much had the same. No way they don't at least try out the new guy with Jack, I mean come on, but could see it settling like that ^ too 

Thinking of all this minutes Jack plays, I think Hall could end up being his LW.  

Next add is a goalie. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Thorny said:

Yeah, Hall w/Eichel would certainly be lethal, but their skill sets overlap quite a bit.  Skinner-Staal-Olofsson looks like a line with too much shooting and not enough puck carrying/creating, but if they try it like that and it works, I won’t complain.

Just now, Gabrielor said:

I go 

Skinner Eichel Olofsson

Hall Staal Reinhart

more balance, doesn't lose offensive potency and Eichel/Olof really clicked last year. 2000s night vs. CBJ, I was there, and Olofsson had just come back from injury. Eichel/Olof instantly connected and basically won that game just the two of them. Put a Taylor Hall who can pass with them, and holy moly.

Meanwhile, Reinhart is the experience two-way youth anchoring 2 former all-stars. They'll be just fine.

The bottom 6....is scary (bad).

Ya you are right, I had Reinhart on line 2, too. 

Just now, Curt said:

Yeah, Hall w/Eichel would certainly be lethal, but their skill sets overlap quite a bit.  Skinner-Staal-Olofsson looks like a line with too much shooting and not enough puck carrying/creating, but if they try it like that and it works, I won’t complain.

Totally. It may not work. But every farmer and their mom knows we are gonna try it haha. 

So exciting 

56 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I think Larsson to Eakin is a massive downgrade 

Really?  Eakin had a down year but has a 40 point season recently.  Larsson never gets 20 points.  You can argue Larsson is the better defensive forward, I would argue he was one of the main penalty killers on a historically bad PK unit

• Like (+1) 3

i just wish the sabres had better goaltending. with what they have i see them not getting past the first round. 

hall makes the sabres much better. they now have 3 great players for the PP, and a PK 

Edited by miles

53 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well didn't expect to log on to this..........

I suppose the 1 year deal means he couldn't get what he wanted (here or wherever) and decided 1 year where he knows he will be a main piece with lots of ice time and hope for better economics next year was the best idea. 

Well my earlier plan was trade Reinhart add Hall so maybe.........no idea what happens next then. 

Rumor is he turned down a multi year contract with Montreal averaging around $8m per

5 minutes ago, Norcal said:

One year deal means we should get a motivated Hall or no? Playing for a payday.

I'd think so.

I'm old fashioned in that if we can just get our young core into a playoff series, I believe the benefits could do wonders. 

Maybe that's just obvious now considering Jack's frustration. 

If we get one great year from Hall, and we are a playoff team, I'm a happy man. Signing is a possibility, but not concerned about that now.

Edited by Thorny

51 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Hall likes the puck. Skinner has already learned how to work with Eichel and Reino.

I'd think this looks balanced:   Skinner-Eichel-Reino / Hall-Staal-Olofsson / Cozens-Eakin-Okposo / Girgs-Lazar-Rieder

I like it though I think they intend on giving Tage an everyday role

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

Really?  Eakin had a down year but has a 40 point season recently.  Larsson never gets 20 points.  You can argue Larsson is the better defensive forward, I would argue he was one of the main penalty killers on a historically bad PK unit

Eakin has more offensive skill than Larsson. He will probably be 3C if they start out with Cozens on wing.  

I would like to see us bring in a 3C and make a Eakin and Lazar fight it out.  Same with Girgs and Kyle and Tage.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I'd say Eakin to Larsson is a significant downgrade, but with a shuffled line deployment, and really, the now significant positive net F talent in vs net F talent out equation, I see it being something that we can definitely work around in a much easier, realistic way than yesterday. 

We went to bed saying they absolutely needed a solid wing add, and we damn well got it. Above and beyond on that front. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Would we move Miller and Mitty for a goalie?

Yep but we'd have to dispose of hutton somehow?

Miller, Mitts and Hutton

for Kuemper and Kessel or Schmaltz

Arizona has a mandate to trim $15m and this trade would trim 3.5 if kessel is included and 2.5 if schmaltz is

Now with the signing of Hall the excitement of the fan base has been stoked. However, because of the virus it is very likely that fans won't be allowed into the arena, or if so, only on a limited basis. It would be such a dramatic change from usually having a quiet arena turn into a lively and boisterous arena creating an exciting environment.  I just hope that this dangerous health situation soon changes so we can all go back to normal living. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Now with the signing of Hall the excitement of the fan base has been stoked. However, because of the virus it is very likely that fans won't be allowed into the arena, or if so, only on a limited basis. It would be such a dramatic change from usually having a quiet arena turn into a lively and boisterous arena creating an exciting environment.  I just hope that this dangerous health situation soon changes so we can all go back to normal living. 

To be fair no one went anyway.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'd say Eakin to Larsson is a significant downgrade,

I'm not sure this is true. I know the stats on Eakin don't say anything great and maybe it's just coincidence, like he had a good game when i was watching, but he's a player I remember being impressed with once or twice. I'm really not sure he's as awful as people think and might just be ok as 3rd or 4th line C. 

With Staal signed for one year and Hall for one year I guess if things do still go south we can move both of them for substantial picks prospects at the dealine so I can't see anything negative in this. Hall is definitely a merc. but he might just want to have a year like Skinner last year to max his price for the next contract. might have asked to be able to play with Eichel. This could be good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.