Brandon Montour signs new deal with Sabres 1 year 3.85 Million

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

1 year... just unfathomable stupidity. Nothing like making sure a guy reaches ufa status asap. 

Yup, he's now a trade deadline rental unless we're raking it. And if we are, he's still on the move because we'll be paying Dahlin. This is your tryout for a payday, Mr. Montour. Make the most of it, for our sake!

I suppose from the Sabres' perspective, Montour is an asset they don't want to lose for nothing, but don't like enough to give a longer-term deal at the price he would demand.  This way, they keep him during his contract year, when he'll presumably be playing his best, and they either get something for him at the deadline, keep him for a playoff run, or sign him to an extension if both parties are happy.

But trading him this offseason for a good forward seems pretty unlikely, although not impossible.  If someone needs to unload a $5MM or so forward and needs a defenseman, that team could take Montour in exchange and save a bit of cap space (or more than a bit if the Sabres keep some of Montour's cap hit).

Still, not a move to get excited about.

• Like (+1) 3

I am still holding out hope that there will be two changes to a blueline that sucked last year...and I'm not talking about Borgen becoming #7, or even worse, the two scrubs just signed make the team.   I was hoping for two of McCabe, Risto, Miller & Montour being moved out, and the blueline rebuilt.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Close.  We said "there's got to be a trade coming now that the FIVE RHD's (to go with the 3 LHD, not to mention fringe guys like Nelson & Gilmore are around & all) are under contract, no?" D'oh!

Risto + Mitts + our 1st in 2025 for Draisatl. And we throw in Samson to sweeten the pot. 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I am still holding out hope that there will be two changes to a blueline that sucked last year...and I'm not talking about Borgen becoming #7, or even worse, the two scrubs just signed make the team.   I was hoping for two of McCabe, Risto, Miller & Montour being moved out, and the blueline rebuilt.

Same boat.  Looking more like this is not happening.  If our D and goaltender is not upgraded I don’t think any other improvements in the forward ranks matters. 

Don’t mind the contract and I really like Montour when he is placed in a position to succeed , which he wasn’t last year.

However, for us to get good value on this contract next season, Miller or Risto need to go.

I had Montour getting $4 mill in my estimates.  This contract puts us at 58.5 with Reinhart, VO and Ullmark still to re-sign.  Without a trade, this roster will cost 72 mill.

As we discussed earlier that looks like a team with a low 70s budget as the media reported.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Doesn't that make him a UFA in waiting — effectively a rental?

More suspect asset management.

All depends on what happens with him. 

Montour is 26 now. He turns 27 next April.  He's a UFA next year.  He could go to arbitration and potentially get less money or just sign a 1 year deal and get $3.85M and be a UFA next year.. because he would be anyway.

The Sabres can still move him and with him locked in at $3.85M it might be easier than if he had been awarded more.  Both sides get something in this deal and Montour was going to be a UFA regardless after next season unless he signed on longer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.