Three Players File for Arbitration, Montour did not

Brawndo

So, Sabres were gonna walk away from any potential arbitration and told Montour as much. Montour didn't like the idea of risking being out there on the open market in this climate, so agreed to not elect for arbitration in return for a QO from the Sabres? And they'll now hammer out a deal? 

Just a guess 

Reinhart is gone. Don't see why he doesn't go ARB ARB UFA

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So, Sabres were gonna walk away from any potential arbitration and told Montour as much. Montour didn't like the idea of risking being out there on the open market in this climate, so agreed to not elect for arbitration in return for a QO from the Sabres? And they'll now hammer out a deal? 

Just a guess 

That would be a safe guess.  He'd get an award that's above the walkaway threshold & he knew the Sabres would likely walk from it leaving him late to the FA party in a tight money off-season. 

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That would be a safe guess.  He'd get an award that's above the walkaway threshold & he knew the Sabres would likely walk from it leaving him late to the FA party in a tight money off-season. 

Right, ok, so I wasn't out to lunch. 

I wonder if they'll just keep the 6 dmen we have then. I assume they'd play Montour on the left on his offside. 

Its that or they are gonna swap Miller for a lefty. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

Right, ok, so I wasn't out to lunch. 

I wonder if they'll just keep the 6 dmem we have then. I assume they'd play Montour on the left on his offside. 

Its that or they are gonna swap Miller for a lefty. 

Looks that way.  Still expecting 1 of the RHD moved for F help. But, maybe Miller does go for a LHD that is good on the PK.

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Just a guess 

I think that's an astute take on Montour. I also wonder if that "not qualified" rumour was something floated by the Sabres to plant that seed.

Of course, they could be on the verge of a contract or a trade already so there was no point.

It has to be unusual circumstances where a player doesn't file, because that's a great negotiation lever.

From the Sabres perspective, I'm not overly concerned with the arbitration awards of the other three being outside what they deserve.

I think there is a reasonable expectation they can settle with all three prior to the hearing.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think that's an astute take on Montour. I also wonder if that "not qualified" rumour was something floated by the Sabres to plant that seed.

Of course, they could be on the verge of a contract or a trade already so there was no point.

It has to be unusual circumstances where a player doesn't file, because that's a great negotiation lever.

From the Sabres perspective, I'm not overly concerned with the arbitration awards of the other three being outside what they deserve.

I think there is a reasonable expectation they can settle with all three prior to the hearing.

Great point, we can still settle with Sam pre ARB. I think we have to or my gut says he's gonzo. I think that's pretty likely too. 

He's such a durable player, if he's sitting one year from UFA next year and has a chance to elect for arbitration, why wouldn't he. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And a rare occasion am I proven right, and so soon! 😄

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Still time to get deals done.  Arbitration empowers the player, though, in the event they don't get done.

Doubt Reinhart, Olofsson, or Ullmark are going anywhere anytime soon.

Exactly. It’s just a necessary step. All three could just as well sign with the Sabres 15 mins before the actual arbitration date.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

The only award that will be high enough to walk away from would be Reinhart's. The other two we would be forced by league rules to sign. 

Reinhart's in the discussion of third or fourth best player on the team as long as he makes no more than $7.5 million a season I say you keep him. The kid had plenty of hockey in front of him at 24 and while he'll never be a full time top line guy he's a good second line guy that can also be part of the top PP. He's a healthy Tim Connolly.

4 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

You shouldn't be paying 7.5m for a second line winger.

Who's the first line right winger on this team?

The fallacy of a player not in the top 10 at their position not being a 1st line player seemingly never dies.  Is 22nd among players listed at RW not among the 30 highest point totals among players listed at RW?  Or 62nd among the 90 highest point totals among forwards?

Complain that Reinhart isn't Pastrnak, Kucherov, Kane, or Marner, but Reinhart is irrefutably a 1st line RW.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Who's the first line right winger on this team?

The fallacy of a player not in the top 10 at their position not being a 1st line player seemingly never dies.  Is 22nd among players listed at RW not among the 30 highest point totals among players listed at RW?  Or 62nd among the 90 highest point totals among forwards?

Complain that Reinhart isn't Pastrnak, Kucherov, Kane, or Marner, but Reinhart is irrefutably a 1st line RW.

For balanced scoring I prefer him on the 2nd line. Now if we do sign Taffoli than I move Sam up and Skinner down. As think Jack and Olafsson stay on top line and the other winger depends on the rest of the team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.