Cody Eakin Signs with Buffalo

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We said that last year too. 

20 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Yeah but last year we had JNott and all those 22 scouts who didn’t know junk. 

This is a NEW regime! Kyven and his 2 new guys know what the deal is. 

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Close.  We said "there's got to be a trade coming now that the FIVE RHD's (to go with the 3 LHD, not to mention fringe guys like Nelson & Gilmore are around & all) are under contract, no?" D'oh!

Funny, and very depressing.

But no worries, I have my Cody Eakin bobble head order form to cheer me up.........

• Haha (+1) 1

@john wawrow you gotta press the front office on what roles they're expecting these players to play and what analytics they used to arrive at this being anything near ok.

Jason Nightingale is one of only two things right now:

1) Tearing his hair out.

2) A genius operating on a plane well beyond our understanding.

Because the only visible bright spot on Cody Eakin is his 50 games of playoff experience, and that's not analytical.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

OK, so let's pull ourselves together here.

Eakin appears to be the plan at 3C and to be Larsson's replacement, although probably not between Zemgus and KO.  It appears that the Sabres chose to bring back Zemgus and not to bring back Larsson, and that they prefer Eakin to Larsson. 

Eakin will turn 30 towards the end of next season.  He's 6'0", 183 lbs.  Next year will be his 9th full NHL season.  He played 14:39 per game this past season for Vegas before getting traded to Winnipeg at the deadline and 15:23 per game for a good Vegas team the previous season, in which he put up 22 goals at 41 pts.

He's played 3C/4C for playoff teams the last 3 seasons and 4 of the last 5, averaging 16:39 of ice time per game in the playoffs for his career.  He's a decent skater (about the same level as Larsson), has a good wrist shot, has had seasons with 22 goals, 19, 16 and 16, kills penalties and is pretty decent at faceoffs.

Having him ensures that the Sabres do not have to play Cozens at 3C and do not have to have Mitts anywhere near an NHL roster.  It also gives the Sabres a decent chance at getting some offense out of that 3rd line, with Eakin centering some combination of TT, Cozens, Kahun (if he returns), VO (if Toffoli or another good winger is brought in above VO in the rotation) or some other FNG.

I think KA wants the 3rd line to contribute offense and for Zemgus-Lazar-KO to play fewer ES minutes, and a less important role, than Zemgus-Larsson-KO played last year.  I also think it's a pretty solid plan and has a pretty decent chance of working to the Sabres' advantage.

They still need a goalie and another good forward though.

As of right now, Okposo is the 3RW, so we need a Tofolli type add to bump Cozens down to line 3 (and KO down to line 4), in order for Eakin to be between probably Thompson and Cozens. 

So yup, agree with the second bolded. 

I also agree with the premise that, with altered usage, we could hypothetically succeed without the solid defensive C I wanted, but we absolutely positively need a SOLID wing add, or we run the risk of maybe not even improving on last year at F. 

Staal > Johansson 

But Kahun > Rieder so, I'm not sure how much improvement we see at forward at all, without the wing add, and that's already counting Eakin to match Larsson. Agree on the goalie, and I think they need to find a way to convert Miller into a lefty as well. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

@john wawrow you gotta press the front office on what roles they're expecting these players to play and what analytics they used to arrive at this being anything near ok.

1) Tearing his hair out.

Because the only visible bright spot on Cody Eakin is his 50 games of playoff experience, and that's not analytical.

Either Adams is ignoring Nightingale, or Nightingale is a moron

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

1) Tearing his hair out.

I mean, the third option, to be thorough, is that Nighingale is just..not good at his job, right?

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Either Adams is ignoring Nightingale, or Nightingale is a moron

Beat me to it lol

Edited by Thorny

I’ve asked this before and never got a good answer: How faithfully do analytics follow a player?

We’ve often seen players go from 15-goal scorers to 25-goal scorers after trades; we consistently see players improve their Counting stats with experience, and decline with age.

How do analytical measurements travel? Once a bad Corsi always a bad Corsi?

I frequently see these charts hauled out at the time of trades, but never a year or two later.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Adams could be rearranging the deck chairs or maybe these signings are Terrys kind of people. Could have nothing at all to do with analytics. 

Agree - my post was suggesting it as an option to the others already listed. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

He’s good at doing his own oil changes, and is good at naming state capitals. 

He’s bad at making a good omelette, and remembering to change the filter for the furnace. 

In all fairness to him I have to imagine that most people are bad at remembering to change the filter in the furnace. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

As of right now, Okposo is the 3RW, so we need a Tofolli type add to bump Cozens down to line 3 (and KO down to line 4), in order for Eakin to be between probably Thompson and Cozens. 

So yup, agree with the second bolded. 

I also agree with the premise that, with altered usage, we could hypothetically succeed without the solid defensive C I wanted, but we absolutely positively need a SOLID wing add, or we run the risk of maybe not even improving on last year at F. 

Staal > Johansson 

But Kahun > Rieder so, I'm not sure how much improvement we see at forward at all, without the wing add, and that's already counting Eakin to match Larsson. Agree on the goalie, and I think they need to find a way to convert Miller into a lefty as well. 

But why is everyone suddenly putting Thompson at left wing even though he's a right wing? Did he play left in Rochester?

On 10/10/2020 at 1:47 PM, Thorny said:

His analytics are...very not pretty. Bottom of the league bad. They can't have factored into this decision.

He's another potential 4th liner /ideal 13th man. 

Exactly, I hate this signing.  Where are the supposed analytics that Adams was preaching.  It what it is, welcome to the new norm, the Sabres are a laughing stock.  We're the early 2000's Oilers.

On 10/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, Brawndo said:

Larsson, Verhaeghe, Cousins, Hinostroza = 4.635 million per year 

Zemgus and  Eakin = 4.45 million per year 

Asset Management at its finest 

Well said, we're run by an incompetent front office, and even more insipid owners, who have to have a say on most if not every decision.  

Two years ago Eakin had a career year in points at age 27 with an unsustainable 18% shoot percentage (22-19-41). If he gets third line minutes with Girgs and Okposo he could once again get to 35-40 points (if Okposo stays healthy) in 15 minutes/game. He's got a better offensive upside than did Angry Larry, who never broke 20 points in a season (although the season he mangled his wrist Larry was on pace for 25 points or so).

However, all the fancy stats show he's nowhere near as effective defensively, so the overall impact is likely a wash unless our 2nd line takes flight.

Cozens had better learn center at the NHL level quickly (even starting on the wing) because Staal is a one-year rental in my estimation and we don't have any depth to handle any injuries to the center spine (currently at Eichel - Staal - Eakin - Lazar/Asplund).

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

But why is everyone suddenly putting Thompson at left wing even though he's a right wing? Did he play left in Rochester?

I believe he's played a lot on the left in the past. As far as I know he can definitely play either the left or right side. 

7 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Two years ago Eakin had a career year in points at age 27 with an unsustainable 18% shoot percentage (22-19-41). If he gets third line minutes with Girgs and Okposo he could once again get to 35-40 points (if Okposo stays healthy) in 15 minutes/game. He's got a better offensive upside than did Angry Larry, who never broke 20 points in a season (although the season he mangled his wrist Larry was on pace for 25 points or so).

However, all the fancy stats show he's nowhere near as effective defensively, so the overall impact is likely a wash unless our 2nd line takes flight.

Cozens had better learn center at the NHL level quickly (even starting on the wing) because Staal is a one-year rental in my estimation and we don't have any depth to handle any injuries to the center spine (currently at Eichel - Staal - Eakin - Lazar/Asplund).

Agreed Eakin is not a top line guy, but Eakin has speed, is pretty good on the forecheck and brings some nasty... and has some scoring touch.  He is an opportunist.  If Rakru can coach him up on the D zone I am betting people will like him more.  Looks like the Sabres are looking for speed and power based one recent signings and picks.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.