Cody Eakin Signs with Buffalo

Brawndo

57 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I guess Eakin and Reider will join Zemgus and someone else up front on the PK.

Gotta hope in a few things: last year we got the wrong Flame PK'er and instead it was all Rieder who was the good killer; that Eakin is an upgrade on the PK from Angry Larry; and also that Eichel/Olofsson or Eichel/Skinner get a lot of final 30-second shifts to close out the PK and transition it into a quick retaliatory opportunity.

2 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Cozens is likely not beginning at center. Eakin will be 3C and Lazar 4C.

I think that's it exactly. 

I actually like Eakins as a player and think he brings a good attitude and does in fact make us "tougher to play against" but his best days are behind him and he isn't any sort of upgrade on larsson. Probably a downgrade. might help the PK though. 

7 minutes ago, kas23 said:

This reminds me of the tank years. 

Nah. This isn't a tank team or tank offseason. This is a tank lineup:

Moulson - Larsson - Ennis
Foligno - Grigorenko - Gionta
Deslauriers - Varone - Kaleta
Hodgson - Ellis - Dalpe

Bogosian - Strachan
Ristolainen - Meszaros
Ruhwedel - Zadorov

Lindback, Hackett

(Edit: That's 4/10/2015, the lineup used to clinch #1 or #2 overall in the McEichel sweepstakes)

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Hodgson - Ellis - Dalpe

Bogosian - Strachan
Ristolainen - Meszaros
Ruhwedel - Zadorov

Lindback, Hackett

Where’s Chris Stewart and Torey Mitchell?

Wasnt Corey Conacher on the team too, when he wore John Scott’s helmet in the penalty box? 

666FEBF1-D760-4101-8EF3-1A5F24344908.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Hodgson - Ellis - Dalpe

Bogosian - Strachan
Ristolainen - Meszaros
Ruhwedel - Zadorov

Lindback, Hackett

(Edit: That's 4/10/2015, the lineup used to clinch #1 or #2 overall in the McEichel sweepstakes)

Jesus ***** christ.  Remember when Hodgson was being paid 1C money to play 4W minutes and Phil Varone wasn't on th 4th line?  Let's never post that again. 

15 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Hodgson - Ellis - Dalpe

Bogosian - Strachan
Ristolainen - Meszaros
Ruhwedel - Zadorov

Lindback, Hackett

Should have saved the barf gif for this. Yikes. 

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Been pretty quiet on the draft and FA signings.  None of this makes sense to me.  I’ve lost hope for another season already.  We’re still arranging deck chairs and Jack is squarely in his prime now.

I'm the eternal optimist... these may be RFK's moves in that he told KA what he needs and KA is getting it for him.  With the right chemistry (and the players he wants), maybe RFK can work wonders.

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm the eternal optimist... these may be RFK's moves in that he told KA what he needs and KA is getting it for him.  With the right chemistry (and the players he wants), maybe RFK can work wonders.

I agree with this. But it isn't the Swiss National team taking on some juggernauts in 3-week stints. It's a slog of a season where the better teams rise to the top (look no further than our 2 recent hot starts followed by nothing). The GM puts a team on the ice that needs to last an entire season, and playoffs. The coach's wonders only count so much.

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I agree with this. But it isn't the Swiss National team taking on some juggernauts in 3-week stints. It's a slog of a season where the better teams rise to the top (look no further than our 2 recent hot starts followed by nothing). The GM puts a team on the ice that needs to last an entire season, and playoffs. The coach's wonders only count so much.

Yeah but the Sabres and RFK have a very high tech espresso machine. Do the rival clubs?

Maybe that will be the difference to invigorate the newly acquired talent we are seeing. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He NEEDS sub-replacement level players?

What, is he auditioning for his next job as the Man Above's Left Hand Man?

No, no, don't bring me any more 2nd liners or a goalie.  As a matter of fact, instead of fixing Hutton's vision issues, let's stick a red hot poker in his dominant eye and name him the starter!

(Hopefully tomorrow we find out Toffoli is a Sabre on a good deal & then all is much better.)

Edited by Taro T
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yeah, this is the downside  😞

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No, no, don't bring me any more 2nd liners or a goalie.  As a matter of fact, instead of fixing Hutton's vision issues, let's stick a red hot poker in his dominant eye and name him the starter!

(Hopefully tomorrow we find out Toffoli is a Sabre on a good deal & then all is much better.)

That is my other thought:  Don't worry about the moves now, worry about the team the Sabres is in October.  Or January.  Or whenever the next season starts.

I don't think any of the trade rumors about Jack will come to fruition.... this year.  But this season is pivotal.  If the Sabres suck again, he's gonna want out.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Maybe they should think outside (or in this case, inside) the box and offer Tyler his own cereal brand. 

Toffoli Toast Crunch. Maybe that will get him to put pen to paper. If anything, it’ll probably taste better than Kick Save Krunch did. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Hodgson - Ellis - Dalpe

Bogosian - Strachan
Ristolainen - Meszaros
Ruhwedel - Zadorov

Lindback, Hackett

I’m not talking about our line up. I just remember GMTM pulling these guys off the street to cobble together something to put on the ice. Players like Matt D’Agostini. I don’t really see a big difference between those slumming days and these players we are signing now. I’m at the point where I’d be happier if we just didn’t sign anyone and rolled with last year’s roster plus Staal. 

OK, so let's pull ourselves together here.

Eakin appears to be the plan at 3C and to be Larsson's replacement, although probably not between Zemgus and KO.  It appears that the Sabres chose to bring back Zemgus and not to bring back Larsson, and that they prefer Eakin to Larsson. 

Eakin will turn 30 towards the end of next season.  He's 6'0", 183 lbs.  Next year will be his 9th full NHL season.  He played 14:39 per game this past season for Vegas before getting traded to Winnipeg at the deadline and 15:23 per game for a good Vegas team the previous season, in which he put up 22 goals at 41 pts.

He's played 3C/4C for playoff teams the last 3 seasons and 4 of the last 5, averaging 16:39 of ice time per game in the playoffs for his career.  He's a decent skater (about the same level as Larsson), has a good wrist shot, has had seasons with 22 goals, 19, 16 and 16, kills penalties and is pretty decent at faceoffs.

Having him ensures that the Sabres do not have to play Cozens at 3C and do not have to have Mitts anywhere near an NHL roster.  It also gives the Sabres a decent chance at getting some offense out of that 3rd line, with Eakin centering some combination of TT, Cozens, Kahun (if he returns), VO (if Toffoli or another good winger is brought in above VO in the rotation) or some other FNG.

I think KA wants the 3rd line to contribute offense and for Zemgus-Lazar-KO to play fewer ES minutes, and a less important role, than Zemgus-Larsson-KO played last year.  I also think it's a pretty solid plan and has a pretty decent chance of working to the Sabres' advantage.

They still need a goalie and another good forward though.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.