Should the Sabres Claim Tyler Johnson from Waivers?

nfreeman

Should the Sabres Claim 30-year-old Tyler Johnson from Waivers and take his 4 years x $5MM contract?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do ya want him?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

No, a NTC only prevents trades. You need a no movement clause to avoid waivers.

I may have misphrased that. He has a NTC but got put on waivers. Does the team picking him up require to honor the ntc?

Edited by steveoath
Speelung badlay

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also why would we help out tampa ? let them be stuck with his contract.   

The answer would be because you want Tyler Johnson on your hockey team.

You are “helping them out” by taking a pretty good hockey player from them.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

The answer would be because you want Tyler Johnson on your hockey team.

You are “helping them out” by taking a pretty good hockey player from them.

He is a center that mostly played RW, he is basically the crap on a stanley cup team they want to get rid of.

We need another middle six center.  The question is if we'd rather have Johnson than the other available options.

If we're feeling confident in out ability to get a different 2/3C, whether it be from free agency or trade, don't put in a claim. But we better actually land that other guy.

If we aren't close to acquiring anyone else, claim him.

Part of me does kinda want him to fall through unclaimed just to screw Tampa over, but that's not how we should be making our decision.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He is a center that mostly played RW, he is basically the crap on a stanley cup team they want to get rid of.

I know who he is.  They want to get rid of him because they can’t afford to pay all of their players.  He isn’t crap.

If you think he is crap, then I guess I understand why you would think it’s dumb to take him.

If you don’t think he is crap, then it could be Buffalo’s only chance to get Tyler Johnson.  He doesn’t need to accept a trade to Buffalo.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Also why would we help out tampa ? let them be stuck with his contract.   

I'm not concerned with whether or not I'm helping or hurting another team. I'm concerned with helping my team. Period. Frankly I don't care about other teams.

12 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm not concerned with whether or not I'm helping or hurting another team. I'm concerned with helping my team. Period. Frankly I don't care about other teams.

yeah I mean stuck with his contract, as in he isn't the player you want for your top 6.

Rather they play Quinn or cozens at 2RW then.  

Edited by Huckleberry

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

yeah I mean stuck with his contract, as in he isn't the player you want for your top 6.

Rather they play Quinn or cozens at 2RW then.  

Talking in general terms . Not specifically this player or that.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The Buffalo Sabres do not need Tyler Johnson.

There's a difference between need as in this player would make the team better and should as in should we do this and what will it stop us from doing. If my choice is claim Johnson or sign Toffoli, I sign Toffoli. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There's a difference between need as in this player would make the team better and should as in should we do this and what will it stop us from doing. If my choice is claim Johnson or sign Toffoli, I sign Toffoli. 

It was an ill-executed Kovalchuk reference.

• Like (+1) 1

The timing is a huge part of the question, and a major reason that I do not expect the Sabres to claim TJ.  As I posted in a different thread, I think their plan is to be patient and retain flexibility.  Committing to TJ by noon today would eliminate a big chunk of their budget and thus flexibility.

If the Sabres don't claim him, they are essentially banking on being able to do better over the next week or so than the addition of TJ and his contract.  There's a real risk that they won't be able to.

From TB's perspective, they might've had a better chance of someone claiming TJ if they had waited until today or tomorrow to waive him, as the musical chairs game is just getting started.

It's an interesting situation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

The timing is a huge part of the question, and a major reason that I do not expect the Sabres to claim TJ.  As I posted in a different thread, I think their plan is to be patient and retain flexibility.  Committing to TJ by noon today would eliminate a big chunk of their budget and thus flexibility.

If the Sabres don't claim him, they are essentially banking on being able to do better over the next week or so than the addition of TJ and his contract.  There's a real risk that they won't be able to.

From TB's perspective, they might've had a better chance of someone claiming TJ if they had waited until today or tomorrow to waive him, as the musical chairs game is just getting started.

It's an interesting situation.

Watching Europe descend into World War II was also interesting.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.