Should the Sabres Claim Tyler Johnson from Waivers?

nfreeman

Should the Sabres Claim 30-year-old Tyler Johnson from Waivers and take his 4 years x $5MM contract?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do ya want him?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Two of the four years are actually $3.75 but I agree, a little too much for a guy that has struggled lately.

in cash but the cap is the issue. They have to pay Jokiharju and Dahlin next offseason and I don't think it will be cheap. 

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Nobody offer sheeted kucherov when he got the small deal but now they all want to weaken them?

I think its because with the current cap crunch and no increase, teams don't have as much cap room to just take the bad contract so they want a sweetner if they are going to do a favour for them. plus theres the whole "don't want to be viewed as a bad guy' trying to steal someone with an offer sheet (which is also going to involve giving up picks after the player agrees to sign a deal with you)

I always find it interesting that an unwritten rule exists between organizations not to offer sheet players. In effect, this action controls player contract amounts. In any other industry, this would be called collusion and would be illegal. Given that this mechanism was formally agreed upon in the constructs of the CBA, how can it be that the NHLPA turns a blind eye to this practice?

I would even suspect that decoys are orchestrated by organizations every once in a while to keep this from being illegal. The Aho offer sheet last year was a joke and easily matched. 

7 hours ago, Curt said:

The answer would be because you want Tyler Johnson on your hockey team.

You are “helping them out” by taking a pretty good hockey player from them.

Yup, in my opinion you should NEVER turn down a deal with the primary reason being "to not help a rival". Sure, maybe you do. But if you truly do believe you are improving your team, you are still improving relative to the other 29 teams. If you pass up the opportunity, you spare yourself the risk of potentially a net-loss to that one team you traded with, but your net-result vs the other 29 is worse off than it could have been if you didn't balk. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The Buffalo Sabres do not need Tyler Johnson.

This touches on such a key point. Passing up a free (by asset cost, obviously) TJ on waivers makes my skin crawl - he'd absolutely positively benefit our roster. The gal we have to pass up on a player that good relative to what we have means Adams bringing in an inferior player (at least by value) than TJ is straight-up an unacceptable result, now. A gamble that needs to pay off, like others have said. 

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It was an ill-executed Kovalchuk reference.

Disagree

Edited by Thorny

It was a crap shoot.  But the pressure is clearly on Johnson now to be more accepting of a potential trade or he's going to be playing in the AHL (if they even play).  Sure the Lightning don't want to keep his cap hit on the books but I bet Johnson gives in.

So, now the question is.. what does Tampa have to give up to move him?  Where would he agree to go?

Tampa was always going to be in this position.. and they still have not signed Cirelli, Cernak, and Sergachev.. 3 players that aren't all going to fit under what appears to be about $4M in cap space.

Point and Killorn are the only decent level salaries that are freely movable... everyone else has control.  It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.