Should the Sabres Claim Tyler Johnson from Waivers?

nfreeman

Should the Sabres Claim 30-year-old Tyler Johnson from Waivers and take his 4 years x $5MM contract?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do ya want him?

• Yes
    • No

OK, so Johnson, a longtime productive C, just turned 30 and has 4 years left on his contract at $5MM per year.  He's 5'8", 183 lbs and his #s have been in decline for the past few years -- from 50 pts to 47 to 31 pts in 65 games this year, and, in ice time, from 18:49 to 17 to 15:57 to 14:33 this year.

HOWEVER, he would unquestionably represent a major upgrade for the Sabres at 2C/3C or 2LW/3LW, would provide scoring depth and lineup flexibility, would cost zero assets to acquire and would probably be a pretty good player for at least 2 years.

It's also worth noting that the Sabres need to make this decision ASAP, because once he clears waivers, his NTC reactivates.

I'm pretty interested. 

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

OK, so Johnson, a longtime productive C, just turned 30 and has 4 years left on his contract at $5MM per year.  He's 5'8", 183 lbs and his #s have been in decline for the past few years -- from 50 pts to 47 to 31 pts in 65 games this year, and, in ice time, from 18:49 to 17 to 15:57 to 14:33 this year.

HOWEVER, he would unquestionably represent a major upgrade for the Sabres at 2C/3C or 2LW/3LW, would provide scoring depth and lineup flexibility, would cost zero assets to acquire and would probably be a pretty good player for at least 2 years.

It's also worth noting that the Sabres need to make this decision ASAP, because once he clears waivers, his NTC reactivates.

I'm pretty interested. 

And didn't think Tyler was very good (relatively speaking) in the playoffs and I don't really like his contract considering his age.

But he would be an upgrade on Kahun and Johansson (people seem to forget about him) in a similar role, at the cost of no assets.

I also wonder if a waiver claim is squandering an opportunity to get a sweetener. And I'd honestly like to see someone squeeze Tampa more, even if it's not us.

I guess I'm not against the move, but I really hope Adams has better cards to play first.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

And didn't think Tyler was very good (relatively speaking) in the playoffs and I don't really like his contract considering his age.

But he would be an upgrade on Kahun and Johansson (people seem to forget about him) in a similar role, at the cost of no assets.

I also wonder if a waiver claim is squandering an opportunity to get a sweetener. And I'd honestly like to see someone squeeze Tampa more, even if it's not us.

I guess I'm not against the move, but I really hope Adams has better cards to play first.

He is already on waivers, i don't think a team can trade someone they just put on waivers. If a claim is put in on him, he is gone, they can't see who makes a claim then take him off.

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't - our one area of improvement so far is Staal over Johansson, in my view. He was basically the second scoring line C, the most from what I remember. He's the "2C" we needed to upgrade.

If we brought in Johnson, for C, I'd be comparing his value more so to Larsson, myself. We have to pick someone to represent our Cs last year even though several shuffled around, kinda just say Eichel - Johansson - Larsson - Lazar/Casey. We've upgraded Johansson to Staal, and downgraded Larsson to Mittelstadt currently. 

So a Johnson add would be better than our current (Mittelstadt), but I'm not sure about the net result of the Johnson Larsson comparison this year to last, so if we want to ensure adequate replacement there I agree I hope Adams is looking elsewhere first. 

Edited by Thorny

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

He is already on waivers, i don't think a team can trade someone they just put on waivers. If a claim is put in on him, he is gone, they can't see who makes a claim then take him off.

What I mean is if he clears waivers the Lightning will likely put him back on the trade market with a sweetener, like the Rangers did with Marc Staal.

Or, even better, they shop a better player.

38 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Actually they can. Teams put guys on waivers all the time to gauge interest and then recall him. In this case, however, I don’t think Tampa does that. They need to clear the space.

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Actually they can. Teams put guys on waivers all the time to gauge interest and then recall him. In this case, however, I don’t think Tampa does that. They need to clear the space.

I stand corrected on this, I thought it was only baseball in between the july & august trade deadline that allow you to rescind a claim or work out a trade

1 minute ago, OhMyDahlin said:

It's stupid to do them the favor of claiming him...any team that claims him is not very smart.

You tell them you'll take him for a 7th round draft pick, but they need to throw you a 3rd round pick in return.

Something along those lines, what choice does Tampa have?

Only counterpoint here is:  what if Buffalo wants him, but isn’t one of the teams he would accept a trade to?  Then claiming him from waivers would be the only way to get him, no?

2 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

It's stupid to do them the favor of claiming him...any team that claims him is not very smart.

You tell them you'll take him for a 7th round draft pick, but they need to throw you a 3rd round pick in return.

Something along those lines, what choice does Tampa have?

When they sober up from their Cup celebrations they have been having they laugh at you and come up with another way to get themselves some more cap space.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Only counterpoint here is:  what if Buffalo wants him, but isn’t one of the teams he would accept a trade to?  Then claiming him from waivers would be the only way to get him, no?

Yeah, they would have to find a way to get him to waive it.

I'd just hate to see them do such a huge favor for a division rival and not get compensated for it.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

When they sober up from their Cup celebrations they have been having they laugh at you and come up with another way to get themselves some more cap space.

Then they're going to be stuck with him, it's as simple as that.

Unless Yzerman does them that favor.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

This is an interesting question. 

How is he leadership-wise? Is it worth taking him for $5mil and sticking him on the 3rd line to help teach Cozens and Tage?

The thing that’s interesting to me is that while his cap number is $5M, his salaries are $3.75/$5.5/3.75/4.75 but i think it’s still a pass.

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The thing that’s interesting to me is that while his cap number is $5M, his salaries are $3.75/$5.5/3.75/4.75 but i think it’s still a pass.

I don’t think he’s someone the brass would be considering, but I’m curious how he is as a person, and if he would be effective in teaching Tage and Cozens for one season, then we poke and prod him over to Seattle next year (he’s from that area, isn’t he?).

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's a no-brainer add if the other option is nothing at all. So if they pass on him, they must have a better addition in mind. 

They certainly would have a better addition in mind.  The $5MM Q is can Adams make that addition.

But at 4 years left & his age, not a huge fan of signing Johnson.

• Like (+1) 2

I actually really like Tyler Johnson and if we can get him with a sweetener I'd do it.  I think he is still a 50 pt player in the right lineup.  We saw how Miller's number rebounded when he got off the loaded TB squad and into a better PT situation.  Here Johnson would get a real opportunity to be a top 6 forward again.  On Staal's wing, I'd think he'd but up 20 goals and 30 assists next season.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.