Sabres sign D Brandon Davidson, 1 year $700k

IKnowPhysics

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Is this supposed to belittle the addition? In my opinion, the checking line C is the most important piece remaining with the possible exception of goalie. The most crucial forward add we still need. 

I would have loved for them to fill in the biggest piece of the puzzle remaining, yes. Wennberg would have been a swell add. Not complaining, but you asked for players we wanted.

Saying it again - The Larsson hole represents our 2 most used C last year. Staal is going to shift the balance of usage a bit I'd imagine, but without bringing in a C to help account for the tough defensive minutes Larsson ate up, the 2C upgrade is largely mitigated. 

All year we talked about adding a 2C, that was WITH the Larsson hole filled. We need to fill it with a C this off-season. It's Mittelstadt right now. 

Agree on the necessity of filling that role.  I was just trying to show that many (majority) of the good FAs are still unsigned after day 1.  That the best F addition made today was a 3C is kinda telling in that regard.

Just a note, but Wennberg probably ended up in Florida in large part due to Bill Zito just being hired there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The brief reactions I've seen elsewhere to this guy is that he's a well-respected, character tweener.

Basically, it seems like we signed 3 Curtis Lazars today.

Not exactly.  Lazar was only 24 when we got him and had been a former 1st rd pick.  Rieder is the closest, but at 27 his best NHL days look behind him already.  Irwin (32) and Davidson (29) are former AAAA players who should never see the NHL again except in emergency situations.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.