Matt Irwin Signs with Sabres 700k One Year

Brawndo

Just now, LabattBlue said:

I don’t know what GAR is, but I don’t like the words “worst defender” associated with a guy we signed a few hours into FA. 

Games above replacement

Basically how many games would you win with him in the line up vs a randoM plug from the AHL

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LabattBlue said:

I don’t know what GAR is, but I don’t like the words “worst defender” associated with a guy we signed a few hours into FA. 

Goals above replacement

It measures the total amount of goals a player adds to his team relative to a replacement level player, and tries to do so by taking everything a player does into account.

5 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Analytics show him being among the worst defenders in the league in GAR.

I've been in Nashville almost two decades. I have preds tickets. My eyes tell me Matt facing Irwin is among the worst defenders in the league. I'd rather the kids got the playing time in Rochester instead of Irwin. 

Edited by Hank

7 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

its goals

This is the chart of the 30th WORST defenders in the league with Irwin being the 16th worst for GAR

ea80f4be_20ba_48cf_b86f_f1857242bbc7.png

Ummm...someone smart help me out please. I don't know anything about Trouba but i thought he was a decent player? This chart says he sucks. Or is similar to those charts that Pi uses that says Vesey is better than Echel? 

Edited by Hank

9 minutes ago, Hank said:

Ummm...someone smart help me out please. I don't know anything about Trouba but i thought he was a decent player? This chart says he sucks. Or is similar to those charts that Pi uses that says Vesey is better than Echel? 

Well the chart is just for that particular statistic of GAR, which it just happens thats where Trouba falls on it.

Last season with the Rangers he had a bit of a down year. He struggled with defending zone entries & while used on the PK he wasn't that good. He was dead last for short handed GAR on the team.

If u want to read more specifically on him, this article here has a thorough breakdown of his past year.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/09/12/jacob-trouba-bounce-back-candidate-new-york-rangers/

Edited by In The Buff

1 minute ago, In The Buff said:

Well the chart is just for that particular statistic of GAR, which it just happens thats where Trouba falls on it.

Last season with the Rangers he had a bit of a down year. He struggled with defending zone entries & while used on the PK he wasn't that good. He was dead last for short handed GAR on the team.

If u want to read more specifically on him, this article here has a thorough breakdown of his past year.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/09/12/jacob-trouba-bounce-back-candidate-new-york-rangers/

Thank you. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's like people were actually expecting the Sabres to fix their problems on the first day of free agency.

I still have hope that they might sign a 3C or a 2W, but I was never counting on it. And there are still plenty of players unsigned.

Their best avenue still remains the salary dump trade. Vegas, Tampa and Arizona and many more are all going to have to be making moves.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's like people were actually expecting the Sabres to fix their problems on the first day of free agency.

I still have hope that they might sign a 3C or a 2W, but I was never counting on it. And there are still plenty of players unsigned.

Their best avenue still remains the salary dump trade. Vegas, Tampa and Arizona and many more are all going to have to be making moves.

Im just disappointed with this specific signing. I've watched plenty of Irwin in Nashville,  I don't wish to see him on the Sabres. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don't want this dude teaching Samuelsson anything

Pretty sure Irwin is one of those self-made Matt Ellis types.

I think he can teach him to be a good pro and a good teammate and I hope that's what his job is supposed to be.

Teaching him hockey? Yeah, I get you.

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pretty sure Irwin is one of those self-made Matt Ellis types.

I think he can teach him to be a good pro and a good teammate and I hope that's what his job is supposed to be.

Teaching him hockey? Yeah, I get you.

Ya that's kinda what I was getting at. Don't know the guy, I'm sure he's a cool dude.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.