Zemgus Girgensons signs 3 Year 2.2 M AAV Deal With Sabres

Brawndo

1 minute ago, YouDigg said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. 

I don't think this is a bad move that makes us worse, but I also don't see how this does anything to improve our chronically losing team.

Zemgus is good at his role and I'm glad he re-signed. I don't buy into the idea that he is a reason the Sabres have been bad.

The bad thing about this will be seeing similar guys signing today for less. I suspect Adams misread the market on this one.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Zemgus is good at his role and I'm glad he re-signed. I don't buy into the idea that he is a reason the Sabres have been bad.

The bad thing about this will be seeing similar guys signing today for less. I suspect Adams misread the market on this one.

It’s also about trying something different. It doesn’t have to be anything negative against Zemgus.

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

It’s also about trying something different. It doesn’t have to be anything negative against Zemgus.

As a former player yeah you walk into the rink and see all the same faces you've lost with over the years and that's a tough mental hurdle when things aren't going well.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

That's about entertaining fans. I don't think it's relevant to building a good hockey team.

If you can create just as good of a hockey team and increase entertainment at the same time, which is what professional sports is, then there’s no reason not to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

As a former player yeah you walk into the rink and see all the same faces you've lost with over the years and that's a tough mental hurdle when things aren't going well.

If they don't trade away a single player, the Sabres are going to start the season with 7 players who have been on the team more than two years.

24 minutes ago, YouDigg said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. 

I don't think this is a bad move that makes us worse, but I also don't see how this does anything to improve our chronically losing team.

I have always liked Zemgus from Day 1, and his supporters will suggest the team's problems don't include his consistent, hard, play.

But there is also an argument to be made about shaking things up b/c all Zemgus has ever known is losing in a loser culture surrounded by other losers. 

He's not going to be a difference maker one way or the other so it doesn't really matter, but as you point out, keeping the same roster together and expecting different results is an exercise in madness....or perhaps one in cost containment.

Just now, SDS said:

If you can create just as good of a hockey team and increase entertainment at the same time, which is what professional sports is, then there’s no reason not to do it.

Sure there is. You like the player and you don't think you can find someone better or cheaper for the same role.

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sure there is. You like the player and you don't think you can find someone better or cheaper for the same role.

I guess if you disregard the first half of what I said then what you said is true. lol 

On 10/8/2020 at 4:52 PM, Weave said:

Glad Zemgus is coming back.  Not sure why but I have a soft spot for him.

I agree that the plan is likely Lazar taking Larry's spot.

Thorny, that 3rd line.  Woof.  Serious upgrading needed there.

Don't understand the love for the 4th line either, but it is just the 4th line. Pretty dismal looking lineup.

I like Zemgus and his vibe. I especially like the nickname. But he's JAG at this point.

Well... If we'd retained Angry Larry to keep together the true checking ling against opposition forwards, then I'd say we could run the GLO as a third line (in minutes) to take defensive zone starts against the opposition's top lines. Then, we could run an energy-only 4th line Vegas-style for 6-8 minutes/game.

But, when looking in comparison to the other payouts on this team and around the league I'll just say it, "This deal is getting worse all the time."

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Adams said he likes all 4 of their centers, but never named the 4th C.  Have assumed it's Lazar, but maybe it's Girgensons.

I mean, it seems like a lifetime ago, but there was a time when fans here advocated that ZG, our 1C at the time, become our captain. 🤷🏼‍♂️

9 hours ago, SDS said:

I mean, it seems like a lifetime ago, but there was a time when fans here advocated that ZG, our 1C at the time, become our captain. 🤷🏼‍♂️

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well, he was an all star. 😉

We have 3 all star centers on this roster.   Whoa.

• Haha (+1) 1

One thing lost in the overpayment for Girgensons is the Sabres need to expose at least 2 veteran forwards in the Seattle draft.  This deal qualifies Girgensons to be the 2nd guy and there's no way he gets selected.  (They're likely going to take either Ullmark or whoever else not named Hutton he platoons with or a D.)

So the Sabres effectively have protected 11 skaters in the draft (the 7 & 3 they actually protect) plus Z.  And if Hall re-signs, bump that to 12.  Not bad for ~$500k of overpayment. 

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

One thing lost in the overpayment for Girgensons is the Sabres need to expose at least 2 veteran forwards in the Seattle draft.  This deal qualifies Girgensons to be the 2nd guy and there's no way he gets selected.  (They're likely going to take either Ullmark or whoever else not named Hutton he platoons with or a D.)

So the Sabres effectively have protected 11 skaters in the draft (the 7 & 3 they actually protect) plus Z.  And if Hall re-signs, bump that to 12.  Not bad for ~$500k of overpayment. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Was there a minimum Salary requirement for that? ^^^

Interesting points. When is the expansion draft?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.