Brawndo

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

How They probably see it currently:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Staal - Cozens

X - ?/Mittelstadt - Thompson

Girgensons - ?/Lazar - Okposo

- - - 

I think with the Kahun thing, they know they need a 3rd line W, Kahun or not, UFA wise. That's the "X". 

Question marks beside Mittelstadt and Lazar because I am unsure what they are thinking/planning at C. 

Disastrous, especially without a usage change. 

Love. 

First, why bring Zemgus back?  I think we need to purge most of the players from the losing era.   

This line up is a bottom feeder.  Lazar is really not an upgrade over Larry.  Cozens should be on the 3rd line.  We need another center and preferably one who pushes Staal to 3C. Do that and we are a good winger away from being hard to play against.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

First, why bring Zemgus back?  I think we need to purge most of the players from the losing era.   

This line up is a bottom feeder.  Lazar is really not an upgrade over Larry.  Cozens should be on the 3rd line.  We need another center and preferably one who pushes Staal to 3C. Do that and we are a good winger away from being hard to play against.  

Ya, I don't know how much improvement we'd see from the Staal addition if we turn around and lose Larsson and leave that unaddressed. It's why I think the defensive C add is so crucial. Lazar isn't just not an upgrade over Larsson it would be a massive net loss. 

There will be at least one wing add. Whether an add pushes Cozens (or whoever they have currently at 2RW) onto line 3, which I absolutely agree should happen, we shall see.

Pencil me in with so many others that just want to see a change.  Not sure what he did to deserve the AAV (38% raise) and term.   If KO isn’t bought out this team will have a fourth line making $9.0-$10m for 4 consecutive years.  After Dahlin gets his deal you’re going to squeeze the middle six.  Is the depth in our prospect pool that bad that by 2022 someone couldn't  conceivably replace Z on the PK or his TOI on an ELC? 

“It's the same old story, same old song and dance, my friend.”

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

How They probably see it currently:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Staal - Cozens

X - ?/Mittelstadt - Thompson

Girgensons - ?/Lazar - Okposo

line 3 is a sure fire ticket to last place. 

It's too much money for Zemgus. I don't hate him, but he's not much better than Lazar and imo should be getting around 1.5 not 2.2   

6 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Nitpicking about the 4th line is probably a solid reason why the Sabres haven’t been in the playoffs in a decade. 

The reason they haven’t made the playoffs in a decade is because some people are talking on a message board? 😳

• Haha (+1) 1

I've got no issue with bringing back Zemgus, and good for him for getting a healthy raise.

But this contract is overkill.  He's a guy you sign for one year at a time at $1.5-1.75 and hope to replace with an equally useful player on an ELC in the future.  This is more AAV and more term than I think he is worth in his role, especially considering that he's the exact type of player that is likely to get squeezed by the flat cap and team internal budget.

It is especially strange when we seemingly didn't qualify Kahun over fear of being stuck overpaying him by a million dollars or so.  Although I'm reserving judgement there for now.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

The reason they haven’t made the playoffs in a decade is because some people are talking on a message board? 😳

I took it as, changes to the 4th line are equivalent changes to the deck chairs on the Titanic, almost meaningless in the big picture, but those are the changes are what we've got to talk about.

12 hours ago, Weave said:

Glad Zemgus is coming back.  Not sure why but I have a soft spot for him.

I agree that the plan is likely Lazar taking Larry's spot.

Thorny, that 3rd line.  Woof.  Serious upgrading needed there.

seriously, I don't see Casey M. being the answer. Hope I'm wrong, but he just doesn't see to have the right stuff 

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think Ralph has a very good sense of what worked and what didn’t and their moves are going to be based on that.

As you indicate there is a profile for the kind of player the coach wants. He wants to accumulate players that play hard and play a full, end to end, game. That's Girgs in spades. If he were more of a finisher he would be a 15 goal scorer.  

What I have never understood is the lame argument that a player who not only isn't a contributing factor for a team losing should be dispatched for the sake of change. There are more than enough players that should be moved but not the players who keep playing hard and responsibly while subjected to the depressing realization that the team you are playing for isn't going anywhere meaningful. 

This transaction wasn't a big move but it was a good move. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Seems a little high. Now I am very curious to see what Kahun gets because he is better than Zemgus. 

It will be interesting to see if he was offered in the $3 M range per year. And the length of the contract is another interesting question. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.