Zemgus Girgensons signs 3 Year 2.2 M AAV Deal With Sabres

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don’t know. It seems weird to me that we are bad all these years and yet we keep bringing so many of the same players back. Seems to me even if we could get somebody equivalent that getting new blood and would just be better. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Depends on roles, line usage, and expectations.  They intentionally designed a team that used the 4th line to trash the other team's 2nd line in our own end.  And they didn't take a beating doing it; in fact, they ended up doing alright Corsi-wise.  But the team needed secondary scoring from lines 2/3, which was among the main points of failure.

So who do you replace?  ERod, Sheary, Simmonds, Sobotka, Vesey and Frolik?  All gone.

You have to be able to identify what's good about your team and build from there.  Strangely, it was lines 1 and 4 that were solid.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hmm, 3 years is fine, $2M seems like a little much though.  Was hoping for a little less, especially in COVID times.

Just a note:  If I recall correctly, Zemgus’ girlfriend is from the area.  Could play a big part in him wanting to stick around.

Edit: His now wife is from Pittsburgh. Also, I somehow just found their wedding registry.  Their kitchen color scheme is definitely stainless steel and white, but they got a black air fryer, bad move there.  Strange world.

Edited by Curt
  • Haha (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Until it's official he's gone, will still hope he's back.  (Just like Ledyard, Zhitnik, Drury, Briere, Zubrus, & a couple others.)

5 x 5 

😆

😌

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This.

This news makes me feel very happy. I feel like Z is a Buffalo guy, who has worked his ass off and has been through hell and deserves to be here when it freezes over.

Big boost to our PK and our defensive conscience. I thought he was very good last season in his role.

The only hope I have for Larry is that he is part of that class of players who are going to get slapped by the flat cap and the opportunity he deserves is not out there.

And you...like Larry? What hopes do you have for those you don't?

Edited by Thorny

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have ANY reasonable platoon goalie to help Ullmark in the 2nd 1/2 of the season & they sneak into the real playoffs & not the watered down preliminary round.  Add an Eric Staal last year to that & they beat the Loafs for a non-WC playoff slot.

Not if you pay attention to wins-above-replacement numbers for goalies. It's exceptionally unlikely. Only the absolutely elite goalies would make up the wins single-handedly that'd we'd have needed to make the real playoffs. 

The sham playoffs, absolutely. 

I do think they sneak in the real thing with a 2C. A true 2C would have filled a HUGE hole and helped some other things fall into place. I'm not sure that Staal can be that player on a stop-gap basis, but I have hope. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

3 years, $2.2M seems like too much, especially in COVID times.

No issue with Girgensons as a solid bottom 6 guy in an energy/shutdown role.

I agree it's weirdly high. 

https://dobberhockey.com/2020/07/16/capped-salary-predictions-for-the-top-200-free-agent-skaters/

Most projections had him around 1.4. 

It's fine I suppose - but Adams continues to shave off a bit of his "have to be careful with costs in this era" excuse, when we are talking about Kahun, or whoever. Hasn't exactly been pinch-penny with Thompson and Girgensons.

More like Moneypenny. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree it's weirdly high. 

https://dobberhockey.com/2020/07/16/capped-salary-predictions-for-the-top-200-free-agent-skaters/

Most projections had him around 1.4. 

It's fine I suppose - but Adams continues to shave off a bit of his "have to be careful with costs in this era" excuse. 

Yes, I thought these were exactly the type of players who were going to SQUEEZED financially this year.

He made 1.6 last season and had a good year, so I’m not surprised he got a raise, but that’s a pretty big raise, 38%.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Yes, I thought these were exactly the type of players who were going to SQUEEZED financially this year.

He made 1.6 last season and had a good year, so I’m not surprised he got a raise, but that’s a pretty big raise, 38%.

Right, we thought they may get less, never mind more, and this much more haha. 

No reason to think Reinhart gets pinched (if not outright, like Kahun), considering. What would a 38% raise for Sam look like? I'm still upset with the Botteril bridge. Sam situation remains in concerning flux. 

Just now, Thorny said:

Right, we thought they may get less, never mind more, and this much more haha. 

No reason to think Reinhart gets pinched (if not outright, like Kahun), considering. What would a 38% raise for Sam look like? I'm still upset with the Botteril bridge. Sam situation remains in concerning flux. 

If Reinhart got only a 38% raise, that would be incredibly cheap.  He is going to get much more than that.  He could get pinched.  We don’t know what will happen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

If Reinhart got only a 38% raise, that would be incredibly cheap.  He is going to get much more than that.  He could get pinched.  We don’t know what will happen.

Pinched as in signing for a lower value than he would have, pre-covid? I just don't think that's going to happen, but that's my opinion. 

And damn I was thinking Reinhart was at a AAV higher than he is. 

Edited by Thorny

51 minutes ago, Curt said:

Hmm, 3 years is fine, $2M seems like a little much though.  Was hoping for a little less, especially in COVID times.

Just a note:  If I recall correctly, Zemgus’ girlfriend is from the area.  Could play a big part in him wanting to stick around.

Edit: His now wife is from Pittsburgh. Also, I somehow just found their wedding registry.  Their kitchen color scheme is definitely stainless steel and white, but they got a black air fryer, bad move there.  Strange world.

I am pretty surprised they kept him at all, leaving alone the term and AAV.  Still, RK must have liked him, and he did play pretty well last season.

Separately:  has anyone used an air fryer?  Are they any good?

17 minutes ago, jsb said:

Is there a possibility if Larry is gone that ZG becomes the 4C?? 

I was wondering this myself.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Yes and yes. You need to learn the correct technique depending on what you're cooking. As for reheating fries, nothing in the world better.

As an example, I wasn't a fan of chicken legs, someone told me to steam them for 10 minutes then heat them up in the air fryer....... You may never have wings again.

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I am pretty surprised they kept him at all, leaving alone the term and AAV.  Still, RK must have liked him, and he did play pretty well last season.

I’m not surprised he is back, although I didn’t think he would be.  I think Krueger likes him.  He sure played him a lot in an important role, and Z did well in that role.

Air fryers are alright.  I guess it depends on your expectations for them.  It’s not deep fried, that’s for sure.  

Edited by Curt

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I have the same feelings towards him as I did towards Lindy. As a fan, I, good or bad, just want to see something different.

Obviously I don’t wanna make ourselves worse but I just wanted to be different.

This is how I feel about Risto. Except to the tune of him actually always being on the ice in plain view. 

Risto is a current sabres Rushmore player. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Zemgus played under 14 min per game last season, as he has each of the last 4.  It doesn't seem likely that his role will increase much.  Can that be worth $2.2MM x 3 years in the age of NHL austerity?

13-14 mins per game certainly can be worth 2.2M, IMO.  I don’t know if Girgensons specifically makes it worth it though.  

As for this age of austerity, I haven’t seen much sign of it yet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.