Zemgus Girgensons signs 3 Year 2.2 M AAV Deal With Sabres

Brawndo

How They probably see it currently:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Staal - Cozens

X - ?/Mittelstadt - Thompson

Girgensons - ?/Lazar - Okposo

- - - 

I think with the Kahun thing, they know they need a 3rd line W, Kahun or not, UFA wise. That's the "X". 

Question marks beside Mittelstadt and Lazar because I am unsure what they are thinking/planning at C. 

5 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I'd put money on Lazar being that C.

Disastrous, especially without a usage change. 

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Perhaps we bring back Larsson again and just keep that line together?

Love. 

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Glad Zemgus is coming back.  Not sure why but I have a soft spot for him.

I agree that the plan is likely Lazar taking Larry's spot.

Thorny, that 3rd line.  Woof.  Serious upgrading needed there.

Longest tenured Sabre now, I think? I like him, too. I want him to experience winning, here. 

Second bolded is a terrible terrible plan that makes me sad. 

Agree on the third line. Needs 2 more pieces, imo. The LW and the C. If it's a C who is solid defensively, we can play Lazar on the 4th line and alter the usage such that we'll be ok, I think. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Longest tenured Sabre now, I think? I like him, too. I want him to experience winning, here. 

Second bolded is a terrible terrible plan that makes me sad. 

Agree on the third line. Needs 2 more pieces, imo. The LW and the C. If it's a C who is solid defensively, we can play Lazar on the 4th line and alter the usage such that we'll be ok, I think. 

Lazar is going to be 13th forward. Casey is not going to be 3rd center.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Friendly reminder that Girgensens-Larsson-Okposo was one of the most effective 4th lines in the league even with their high defensive zone usage.  It's one bright spot that I wouldn't be surprised to see stay together this year.

I'm happy for Z.

They would like that too but convincing Larry might not be so easy, at least not at their number.

19 minutes ago, Weave said:

Glad Zemgus is coming back.  Not sure why but I have a soft spot for him.

This.

This news makes me feel very happy. I feel like Z is a Buffalo guy, who has worked his ass off and has been through hell and deserves to be here when it freezes over.

Big boost to our PK and our defensive conscience. I thought he was very good last season in his role.

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

They would like that too but convincing Larry might not be so easy, at least not at their number.

The only hope I have for Larry is that he is part of that class of players who are going to get slapped by the flat cap and the opportunity he deserves is not out there.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

I don’t know. It seems weird to me that we are bad all these years and yet we keep bringing so many of the same players back. Seems to me even if we could get somebody equivalent that getting new blood and would just be better. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It depends what side you are on. I’m of the belief they made great strides last year and were only goaltending and a 2C away from a top 8 in the conference team. 
If you truly believe they were bad, then yeah, it makes little sense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

It depends what side you are on. I’m of the belief they made great strides last year and were only goaltending and a 2C away from a top 8 in the conference team. 
If you truly believe they were bad, then yeah, it makes little sense.

I think Ralph has a very good sense of what worked and what didn’t and their moves are going to be based on that.

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don’t know. It seems weird to me that we are bad all these years and yet we keep bringing so many of the same players back. Seems to me even if we could get somebody equivalent that getting new blood and would just be better. 🤷🏼‍♂️

^^^ This. 

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

Have ANY reasonable platoon goalie to help Ullmark in the 2nd 1/2 of the season & they sneak into the real playoffs & not the watered down preliminary round.  Add an Eric Staal last year to that & they beat the Loafs for a non-WC playoff slot.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.