Prediction Time: Will the Sabres make a big move on Friday?

nfreeman

Prediction Time: Will the Sabres make a big move on Friday?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Gimme something to get excited about!

• Yes
    • No
    • They will make a big move, but not on Friday.

We, the loyal but battered and desolate fan base, are reeling from the franchise's apparent move into cheapskatedness, plus their less-than-inspiring 1st-round-pick, failure to make any trades at the draft and now likely loss of a promising young forward. 

Will they do something substantial on the first day of free agency -- i.e. at least as big as the Staal trade -- to bolster our spirits?

I voted yes, but I'm probably deluding myself.

The big move will be firing the scouting staff, Bob, in a cost cutting move. They will be given the opportunity to rejoin the organization 3 weeks before the next draft.  No travel reimbursement though.

Said yes because the expectation is they announce a move or 2 tomorrow.  Really not sure that the move will end up considered 'big' at the time.  Pretty sure the biggest name that'll come in already was brought in.

But really believe there are lesser names available that can be very effective here.  C'mon Adams, draw on your inner Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Said yes because the expectation is they announce a move or 2 tomorrow.  Really not sure that the move will end up considered 'big' at the time.  Pretty sure the biggest name that'll come in already was brought in.

But really believe there are lesser names available that can be very effective here.  C'mon Adams, draw on your inner Beane.

If Staal is the biggest move(name) they bring in, it will be a very disappointing off-season. 😞

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LabattBlue said:

If Staal is the biggest move(name) they bring in, it will be a very disappointing off-season. 😞

Even if they made a trade for Danault, Staal is a bigger name.  Though the Hab would be a bigger driver of results LT than Eric the Red.

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Even if they made a trade for Danault, Staal is a bigger name.  Though the Hab would be a bigger driver of results LT than Eric the Red.

Not that Danault is going anywhere now that Domi has been traded, but if he was, I’d consider that to be a much more significant move than Staal...now and later. 

Edited by LabattBlue

Fast. Massive move. 

If not that, probably not. But some smaller stuff. I think the checking C and the 3LW can be filled with moves that might be termed "small" on paper. Would people consider the addition of a Copp/Larsson a "big" move? I'm thinking no. 

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's like when @dudacek fancied that Botterill could be the "money puck" gm 😜

Maybe this time it can be for realz. 

I think they make a lot of small-to-mid sized moves.  Any big move is a little further in the future as we see the teams' budgets shake out.

HOWEVER - expect the big market teams to grab the biggest names and everyone else in the bargain bins.

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They made their big moves.  They traded for Staal,  dumped Kahun and overpaid to keep Thompson and Girgensons.  What more do you want.

At a bare minimum they'll address the Kahun roster spot - or we won't have enough players. 

I suspect there's a reasonable chance they bring in a checking line C, which I'd call a necessity. Pushing Lazar to 13th man.

I think there's an ~ 40% chance they bring in a top 6 RW, pushing Cozens to 3RW and Thompson to what, 14th man, or 3LW? He's listed as a RW/LW on eliteprospects. The second option would probably result in this move replacing the Kahun addition mentioned above. But, we're adding at least 1 winger. 

50/50 they get a goalie. Not addressing the position would be a mistake. 

50/50 they add a LHD. I could see them just playing a RHD on the wrong side. I think that would be a mistake. 

- - - 

Between 1-5 additions, I see at least 3.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.