Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

I know it is still early in the free agency period, but it is hard to not feel discouraged.  Seems that not only have we not signed a player that would be a significant upgrade at a position of need, we have re-signed or signed players at above what should be their current market value.  This is a bad combination and does not bode well for the upcoming season.

3 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I know it is still early in the free agency period, but it is hard to not feel discouraged.  Seems that not only have we not signed a player that would be a significant upgrade at a position of need, we have re-signed or signed players at above what should be their current market value.  This is a bad combination and does not bode well for the upcoming season.

I fear this as well.

10 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I need to know that we are at least trying to sign a marquee player. I get that we are not a desirable destination but the fan base needs to now that they are putting in an effort to improve the team

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Still a lot of shoes to drop.

Hall, Pietrangelo, Granlund, Toffoli, Vatanen, Hoffman, Greene, Galchenyuk, Dadonov, Kulikov, Namestnikov, Hamonic, Grabner, Athanisiou, Haula, Wilson, Forbert, Thornton, Lewis, Chara, Duclair, Clifford, Kahun, Leivo, Caggiula, Hutton, Mueller, Rutta, Gustafson, Bowey, Boyle, Sheahan, Marleau, Kovalchuk, Wallmark...

And if we miss out on the good ones, there are still cap dumps to come.

We aren’t a destination, so we need to be patient.

It takes courage to be patient. As you point out there will be some good value picks that will become available that could make our roster better. It shouldn't be surprising that sometimes the cheaper and lesser talent is a better value acquisition than the more expensive talent. It allows you more flexibility to address other needs than if a more expensive player was acquired that would limit your options to address other needs. 

The normal contract expectation for the mid-tier players (good players) is different than what it was prior to the virus era. It's like musical chairs for this large group of players. They are risking being left out of the money grab if they wait too long for the future better deals that don't materialize. Organizations that know how to be patient and selective will be able to adjust to this turbulent and unsettling environment.

Just because fans panic to the moment  shouldn't mean that smart front offices should get caught up in the frenzy. 

• Like (+1) 2

One thing people are forgetting is roster space - we have signed five guys to NHL contracts. The that's 3-5 roster places gone. Even if Wennberg, Fast etc. were available. We wouldn't be signing them. The fact is, our roster is pretty much full now - its just rather than chose to fill the gaps with top players, or under-the-radar players, we have filled it with bargain discount players.

Olof - Eichel - Reino

Skinner - Staal - Cozens

Thompson - Eakins - Okposo

Girgensons - Lazar - Reider

We may see one more signing - dependent on Casey and the management's assessment of him. Otherwise I can't see us doing too much more in FA. We have 8D too.

Pretty much all the goalies are off the market too. Possible trade obviously, but someone did post saying management had said they didnt view upgrading goalie as high priority

24 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

One thing people are forgetting is roster space - we have signed five guys to NHL contracts. The that's 3-5 roster places gone. Even if Wennberg, Fast etc. were available. We wouldn't be signing them. The fact is, our roster is pretty much full now - its just rather than chose to fill the gaps with top players, or under-the-radar players, we have filled it with bargain discount players.

Olof - Eichel - Reino

Skinner - Staal - Cozens

We may see one more signing - dependent on Casey and the management's assessment of him. Otherwise I can't see us doing too much more in FA. We have 8D too.

Pretty much all the goalies are off the market too. Possible trade obviously, but someone did post saying management had said they didnt view upgrading goalie as high priority

Not sure what 5 you are talking about, but Reider, Irwin and Davidson are minimum wagers who don't have to take up a roster spot any more than John Gilmore or JS Dea did. Eakin replaces Larsson.

Now, I think Reider gets the spot vacated by Frolik, but we still have yet to fill the spots vacated by Vesey, Kahun, and Simmonds. It might be Thompson, Cozens, Mittelstadt and Asplund, but the latter three can all still get sent down, and I doubt they'd be too worried about waiving Lazar as well.

As for the bolded, I certainly have never heard that, let alone directly from the Sabres management.

Edited by dudacek
21 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Olof - Eichel - Reino

Skinner - Staal - Cozens

Why is Cousins in that line up?

There's been no confirmed statement from the organization he will definitely be in Buffalo for the up coming season.

20 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Olof - Eichel - Reino

Skinner - Staal - Cozens

Marty Biron who is frequently on WGR has stated on numerous occasions that he didn't believe that addressing the goalie situation should be a priority. His repeated lamentation was that the organization needed to bring in players and develop players within the system who can score. I'm sure the organization would not be adverse to upgrade the backup goalie but if they couldn't it do for a reasonable price they probably wouldn't do it. 

Others have brought up the possibility of bringing in Fleury with the hope that Vegas would pay some of the contract and take Hutton. If the Sabres then dealt a player such as Montour or Miller for picks, saving on a contract, that a Fleury deal was not an outlandish thought. Upgrading the goalie position would make a big difference.   

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

How do you get to 72 million?

10 forwards - Eichel, Skinner, KO, Staal, Eakin, Thompson, Girgensons, Lazar, Rieder and Cozens - 36.5 mill

7 Defense - Montour, Ristolainen, Miller, McCabe, Dahlin, Jokiharju and Davidson - 18.525

Goalies - Hutton - 2.75

RfAS to sign - Reinhart (6.5), VO (4) and Ullmark (3) - 13.5

CoHo buyout - 800K

Total - 72.075 million.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

10 forwards - Eichel, Skinner, KO, Staal, Eakin, Thompson, Girgensons, Lazar, Rieder and Cozens - 36.5 mill

7 Defense - Montour, Ristolainen, Miller, McCabe, Dahlin, Jokiharju and Davidson - 18.525

Goalies - Hutton - 2.75

RfAS to sign - Reinhart (6.5), VO (4) and Ullmark (3) - 13.5

CoHo buyout - 800K

Total - 72.075 million.

What about the over the cap penalty?

So far, it seems that the new GM has replaced all of the old GM filler parts with his own.

Also replaced Mojo with Staal, which is an upgrade at a needed position.

So far, so good.

• Like (+1) 1

After sleeping on this, I guess things aren’t so bad. They are signing filler parts. Luckily these are all 1-2 year deals. I know we are wasting Eichel in his prime, but in 1-2 years Cozen should be entrenched at 2C and Quinn should be ready at 2RW. Lines 1-2 should be solid. I would hope we could bring in a decent 2RW now instead of relying on Cozens. And we still need a top 4 LHD. I’m ambivalent about Hutton. Maybe his eye problems are resolved. 

As for Larsson, he was a 4th liner on one of the worse teams in the NHL. Even if he played 2L minutes, he obviously didn’t do an adequate job. We still sucked. Either he had attitude issues or really wanted to leave. I’ve moved on. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 2
2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Why is Cousins in that line up?

There's been no confirmed statement from the organization he will definitely be in Buffalo for the up coming season.

Krueger on WGR's the Instigator Show said that he envisions Cozens's starting off on the wing to put him in a less stressful learning situation and allowing him to acclimate to the NHL. Because Cozen's will gain little going back to the juniors where he excelled and due to the fact that he is too young to be sent to the AHL it is probable that he will be on the Sabrer roster.  And it is not out of the question that he starts on the wing on the second line.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm no BRWANDO when it comes to info on this, but there's information from some guy on Roslivic? Trade being worked on for the Jets.

McYntire or McIntyre the source name is.

Edit: Mike McIntyre

Folks say he broke the Stastny trade.

His Twitter post says Vegas clearing space for Pieterangelo? Schmidt name involved.

Edited by Scottysabres
2 hours ago, Kr632 said:

NHL free agency is completely different than the NFL. Crazy how long it takes for the bigger names to sign. Also seems like nothing happens before noon. 

Not always like this. A lot of teams aren’t spending to the cap. Teams are basically penny pinching

• Like (+1) 1