Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

I'm 61 and not so sure about that. At least when we hit the bottom before we had the star player coming in to give us optimism for moving forward. Now? People arguing over whether Lazar can replace Larsson as if it's important when neither should be overly relevant. I mean Larsson was fine, but he's a 4th line player and Lazar barely deserves a roster spot and wouldn't have one on a good team. The bar is really really low. 

We still have two young superstars, three or four other high end talents and a coach I believe in. This team is a goaltender and a top 6 forward away. And believe it or not, they are out there and the Sabre’s could be the last team standing with the ability to acquire.

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

We still have two young superstars, three or four other high end talents and a coach I believe in. This team is a goaltender and a top 6 forward away. And believe it or not, they are out there and the Sabre’s could be the last team standing with the ability to acquire.

Man I hope you're right. Seriously.

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Sounds like you think we're signing Hall or something? Seems unlikely to me but he's unsigned yet so anything's possible.

This top 6 forward away thing has been said for years though. The progress isn't really there. You're going on hope and faith. 

8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Sooooooo...what you’re saying is...

We let everyone else sign to their cap, so that Eichel CANT demand a trade, since nobody will be able to afford his cap hit? 

☺️

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sounds like you think we're signing Hall or something? Seems unlikely to me but he's unsigned yet so anything's possible.

This top 6 forward away thing has been said for years though. The progress isn't really there. You're going on hope and faith. 

Hall, Toffoli, Duclair, And Then I See You are still out there. 

TBL still basically has to give away two players if they plan on keeping Cirelli and Serg. Is Calgary still trying to shed talent? 

There’s still minimal hope, I suppose. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Have we heard that from anyone other than Larsson's brother?

It could very well be a case of Larsson saying he wanted at least $3×3 to come back & the Sabres saying at those #'s he doesn't fit in the plans, good luck elsewhere.

No.  What you state could be the case, but do you then think it's case where he stated his number, the Sabres said see ya, and then moved on?  Could be.  Ultimately ends up making a paltry sum but by the time he found his value in FA the Sabres had moved on.

Overall I gotta hand it to those posters on here who are checking in multiple times a day just to make derisive comments on anything that happens or gets reported. It must take a certain level of self-loathing to put yourself through that. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LTS said:

No.  What you state could be the case, but do you then think it's case where he stated his number, the Sabres said see ya, and then moved on?  Could be.  Ultimately ends up making a paltry sum but by the time he found his value in FA the Sabres had moved on.

Overall I gotta hand it to those posters on here who are checking in multiple times a day just to make derisive comments on anything that happens or gets reported. It must take a certain level of self-loathing to put yourself through that. 

10 years of shart hockey and a skate in the crease can do that to some people. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

Yeah.  That's my guess.  He was far too big a part of one of the things that went right last year (4th line was the 2nd best line by a far stretch) & we know they're OK w/ paying the checking line (between Okposo's huge deal that they can either eat or accept (& am totally on board w/ accepting it at this point) & Girgenson's new deal) to believe they didn't want him back.  

But, if he wanted, say $3×3, & played the Tim Kennedy hardball about it, can completely see them saying OK, we're moving on.  It's replacement by committee, but Reider, Lazar, & presumably Eakin can all play PK; Lazar is better at faceoffs; and by altering deployment they can (or they likely believe they can at a minimum) replace his minutes with no huge dropoff in results.

Am disappointed that he's gone.  Again, the 4th line at ES was one of the things that did work besides Eichel's line; so my hope was to have that line back intact w/ improvements to the other 2 lines, the LD, & goaltending.  Maybe their evaluation said he was part of the PK's issues (IMHO, the issues were more horrible goaltending movement/puck tracking & resultant non-agressive defending) in which case walking away when he asked for too much becomes a lot easier.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

10 years of shart hockey and a skate in the crease can do that to some people. 

It would seem so.  I'm not sure how people who are so fanatical about a hockey team to let it affect them to this point could ever speak ill of fanatics in other disciplines. This is just a game.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

It would seem so.  I'm not sure how people who are so fanatical about a hockey team to let it affect them to this point could ever speak ill of fanatics in other disciplines. This is just a game.

It’s a form of entertainment, an escape, a release. Most of us work jobs all day that we may or may not like. Come home to families and bills and other stressors. 

We want the team we love and have been backing for 2, or 5, or 50 years to give us some sort of positive distraction from our lives. Some entertainment. To continually keep witnessing a sh!t show is very disheartening. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.