Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Judging by the Zemgus deal, Larry took less to play elsewhere.

I always expected that would be the case.

Agree. I can't see how if I was him, aware of the usage I've been placed under, I wouldn't be open to *any* other situation merely because of the low-likelihood I'd be saddled with the same tough usage. 

He probably wants to add to that point total a bit to inflate his next contract. We'll see if he does, but that's probably his thinking. Sabres were never an option for him, and that makes me sad. 

5 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

The Sabres way overpaid for Girgenson.

Yes. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

The Sabres way overpaid for Girgenson.

Probably not.

Angry Larry took less $ to not play for the Sabres.  Imagine how bad it must be for him to go wonder in the desert.

The Sabres would have paid Larry more, but sometimes it's not just about the $.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Smith re-signs in Edmonton.

Musical chairs nearly over and it's starting to look like the Sabres might be the only chair left for Fleury.

Isn't there generally one person left without a chair?

Are we the chair? Are we the person?

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Probably not.

Angry Larry took less $ to not play for the Sabres.  Imagine how bad it must be for him to go wonder in the desert.

To be fair I haven't see a player of Girgs abilities sign for what he did, aside from him. 

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Probably not.

You think Girgs would have received that salary and term if he signed elsewhere?   I’d bet the house that it never happens. 

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Probably not.

I have always appreciated what Larsson has done for the team. But let's not carried away here. He got a $1.4 X 2 contract. That was his market value. The player who is most likely going to replace him is Lazar who is going to be paid $800,000 X2. Larsson is a better defensive player but Lazar has more offensive capability than Larsson. So from a cost effective deal the way the organization handled the player and the role made a lot of sense.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JohnC said:

I have always appreciated what Larsson has done for the team. But let's not carried away here. He got a $1.4 X 2 contract. That was his market value. The player who is most likely going to replace him is Lazar who is going to be paid $800,000 X2. Larsson is a better defensive player but Lazar has more offensive capability than Larsson. So from a cost effective deal the way the organization handled the player and the role made a lot of sense.  

And that $600k in savings will force the Sabres to use the 4th line more like a traditional 4th line.  Which means the improvement to the 2nd line that came with Staal will be offset to some degree in tougher usage.  It also means the 3rd scoring line might not definitively be the 4th line by ice time.

Losing Larsson weakens this squad.  Maybe Adams has a line on a Danault or other trade which will net to a better C spine this season.  But they aren't there necessarily right now and possibly are worse at this moment.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And that $600k in savings will force the Sabres to use the 4th line more like a traditional 4th line.  Which means the improvement to the 2nd line that came with Staal will be offset to some degree in tougher usage.  It also means the 3rd scoring line might not definitively be the 4th line by ice time.

Losing Larsson weakens this squad.  Maybe Adams has a line on a Danault or other trade which will net to a better C spine this season.  But they aren't there necessarily right now and possibly are worse at this moment.

Right, and good points. The equation, regardless of roles, is pretty simple so far - We all agreed we needed big improvements to the C spine. So far it's Staal in, Larsson out. The amount that might work positively in our favor is not close to the improvement we need at the position. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

Lazar cannot adequately replace Larsson. 

He certainly can. Larsson is better defensively but Lazar has better scoring skills and is a faster skater. There are tradeoffs. And if you factor in the contract there is a cap saving that should be made in the calculation. 

What was angry Larry's market value? It was $1.4 per. So let's not exaggerate the value of his role when compared to the replacement.  Again, I always liked him and appreciated his role. But he was not an indispensable player. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, JohnC said:

He certainly can. Larsson is better defensively but Lazar has better scoring skills and is a faster skater. There are tradeoffs. And if you factor in the contract there is a cap saving that should be made in the calculation. 

What was angry Larry's market value? It was $1.4 per. So let's not exaggerate the value of his role when compared to the replacement.  Again, I always liked him and appreciated his role. But he was not an indispensable player. 

Would much rather have Larsson at 1.8 mil (I'll overpay Arizona) and have Lazar-Larsson-Okposo.

• Like (+1) 1

Lazar is a 13th forward. Larsson was adjudged by the coaching staff to be deserving of second-most minutes for centres on the roster. Lazar cannot replace Larsson. 

They'll use the "savings" (whoopdedo) to target an upgrade/status quo for the position (a fine course of action, if they succeed), or else they've failed outright.

Lazar and Larsson are not "different but equal" players. Larsson is much more valuable.  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Pysyk, Barrie, C Smith, Koivu, and Griess all signed today.

Still nothing on Kahun, Fast or Toffoli.

Mogliny had more goals in one season then Larsson has points in his career.

I don’t think this is a true fact.  When did Mogilny score 97 goals?

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Lazar is a 13th forward. Larsson was adjudged by the coaching staff to be deserving of second-most minutes for centres on the roster. Lazar cannot replace Larsson. 

Fake news, Johansson played over 2 minutes more of TOI and didn't get near the PP/PK time Larsson did.

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Sabres fans getting their panties in a bunch over losing Larsson to FA.

L.     O.      L

I have to admit, the arguments *against* Larsson are tough to counterpoint. Let's call it a Push. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If the fourth line in its new composition adds more scoring then it will be more of a contributing line. The Larry line was mostly defensively oriented with little offensive contribution. I expect the reconstituted fourth line to be  still more of a defensive line but more able to make an offensive contribution.  For a team that doesn't have enough scoring coming from its lower lines I will accept the tradeoff. 

Angry Larry got a $1.4 X 2 deal from Arizona. That was his market value. With the Sabres he fulfilled his role. But he was far from being an indispensable player. Lazar is not the defensive stalwart that Larsson is but the tradeoff is he has more offensive capability and is a faster skater. With a cheaper price I will accept that tradeoff.  

I just think that you are overanalyzing his departure. For me the plusses and the minuses balance out. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.