Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

There is absolutely zero chance the team starts the season with Hutton and Ulmark. I wouldn’t be surprised if by the time the Bills play tomorrow that another goalie has been acquired.

I might be surprised if the Bills do play tomorrow.

Just now, Brawndo said:

MAF might need to stick around 

This is the end for the Vegas window.  Their vets are already complaining about seeing their names attached to trade rumors, and Vegas cannot possibly squeeze everyone in under the cap.

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Maybe.  I don't think the Sabres will get much beyond, say, a 2nd and a 3rd, which will be selling Montour low.  I will get over my disappointment pretty quickly though when I start thinking about the playoffs, which I think will be there for the taking with a MAF/Linus combo in net.

EDIT:  the problem though is that taking Montour and Hutton means that Vegas doesn't get much cap relief, which is their reason for trading MAF to begin with.

Vegas is still $1 over. 

It would have to be pretty much a hockey trade, with the Sabres retaining a bit on Hutton.

6 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

You take MAF and a 2nd from Vegas. Vegas retains 3M but gains 4M in space.

You trade a d in a seperate deal and bury Hutton in Rochester.

Let's see how he does with no pain meds other than ibuprofen.

I've recovered from surgeries with no pain meds other than OTC stuff, because I can't stand the way opioids make me feel, and I'm no pro athlete.  He'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is the end for the Vegas window.  Their vets are already complaining about seeing their names attached to trade rumors, and Vegas cannot possibly squeeze everyone in under the cap.

I was telling someone how this was bound to happen. Even though they know it’s a business, players don’t like to be treated Like assets.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I was telling someone how this was bound to happen. Even though they know it’s a business, players don’t like to be treated Like assets.

Yeah, I think they know they might be traded, but they don't like that being aired publicly.  

This is where my info came from, BTW:  

Edited by Eleven

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Korpisalo’s $2.8 million contract looks mighty attractive right now.

It also wonder if that means it might take more than we want to spend to acquire it.

I mean Devon Toews just went for more than double the cost of Nate Schmidt.

I think it was always going to cost more then what the fans would want to see them spend because Columbus doesn't have to trade either of them and they are on decent salary. They can wait til the deadline or the end of the season to deal one away if they feel they would lose one in the expansion draft and want an asset for them.

Its always been known this move was to cash in on an asset at its highest. This isn't Vegas having to move MAF because they need the Cap space, in that situation they could probably get him for a low pick as long as they take on his full contract.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think it was always going to cost more then what the fans would want to see them spend because Columbus doesn't have to trade either of them and they are on decent salary. They can wait til the deadline or the end of the season to deal one away if they feel they would lose one in the expansion draft and want an asset for them.

Its always been known this move was to cash in on an asset at its highest. This isn't Vegas having to move MAF because they need the Cap space, in that situation they could probably get him for a low pick as long as they take on his full contract.

I'd go after the Arizona guys for that very reason; they have to make a move.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, tom webster said:

What’s that saying about a blind squirrel......

Hey, I've got far better at evaluating players and value over time 🙂

That being said targeting Arizona makes quite a bit of sense.

You might even be able to kill two birds with one stone and acquire Goligoski with Kuemper 

8 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I just don't know if they are worth it though?

They are all in their 30's

Yes, they aren't long term contracts Raanta (1 year and 31 years old) and Kuemper (2 years and 30 years old)

Goalies don't fall off a cliff at 30 like most skaters, in part because their careers start so much later on average. 

Ristolainen and Hutton for Goligoski and Kuemper

We take on 1.1mil cap, and we'd likely need to send a lesser pick, but we would get a vet Dman who still plays pretty well and a better goalie.

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Hey, I've got far better at evaluating players and value over time 🙂

That being said targeting Arizona makes quite a bit of sense.

You might even be able to kill two birds with one stone and acquire Goligoski with Kuemper 

Yes, they aren't long term contracts Raanta (1 year and 31 years old) and Kuemper (2 years and 30 years old)

Goalies don't fall off a cliff at 30 like most skaters, in part because their careers start so much later on average. 

Ristolainen and Hutton for Goligoski and Kuemper

We take on 1.1mil cap, and we'd likely need to send a lesser pick, but we would get a vet Dman who still plays pretty well and a better goalie.

I agree on targeting AZ, but I'd rather have Risto than Gogo.  And if AZ is dumping a goalie, they want more than $1MM in cap space.  I think they want picks/prospects.  Next year's #2 for Kuemper maybe?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.