Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

True, he has the potential to be.

I’m excited to have so many game breaking type players on the team.  Eichel, Hall, Dahlin, Skinner (sometimes), Olofsson (on the PP only).  These guys can all change a game in an instant.  Sabres are going to be dangerous.

If Staal is Staal our top 6 isn't above average, it'll be among the leagues best - that's my prediction. Staal being Staal gives us "Skinner", too, and an eye-brow raising 2nd line in combination with Einhorn. 

- - - 

We haven't added a C as good as Staal since, ages ago? And he's the weak link in our top 6. 

Think about it. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, In The Buff said:

I'm excited that we signed Hall no doubt. But I wonder if Toffoli would've been the smarter acquisition, had it been possible. Who knows what it would've taken to sign him here but just say its the same deal as Montreal, 4x4.25. Would 4 years of Toffoli at RW on a pretty good deal, been better than 1 year of Hall at LW for $8mil?

I dont mean to sound like im throwing shade on the Hall signing, but i'm just wondering what some of you might think about it. Just seems with that price we could've added 2 good players for the price of one & that would seem to be the shrewder move imo. Of course it takes 2 to tango & Toffoli had his choice of teams to go to so theres no telling if he would've wanted to be here. The RaKru relationship with Hall seemed to be an important part of the Hall deal. Either way im not complaining 😛

Toffoli is a good player, and I would've been happy with him at that contract if Hall had signed elsewhere, but I greatly prefer Hall on the one-year deal to 4 years of Toffoli.  Hall is more explosive and productive.  Hall also increases team speed, while Toffoli would've decreased it -- and there are already 2 slowpokes in the top 6 in Staal and Reino. 

Most importantly, signing Hall sends a huge message to Eichel, the rest of the team and the rest of the NHL that the Sabres are not giving up and resigning themselves to Mickey Mouse franchise status.

53 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think they should, and probably would. I've maintained it's worth "losing" a deal for Montour if the net-result is positive.

They showed with Kahun, they are willing to potentially squander an asset, and make up the ground later. They improved by losing Kahun, just not directly. 

Maybe they move a D in the trade for a G itself, but if they can't - liquify them for space and futures (that you presumably give up in a goalie deal). You are still converting Montour to a goalie, it's just that you are pulling your pants off over your head, by means of a separate dimension.

You are correct on standing pat, of course. 

Interesting.  You could be right about this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Krueger is person who is careful with his words. He knew he would be asked about the goaltending situation. His carefully crafted response was: "At the moment, they are our goaltenders. " When a verbal ace like Krueger gives you a legal and noncommittal response then the meaning should be clear to everyone other than the dullards. It's obvious that the organization is looking for an upgrade probably for the backup goalie. With a probable compressed schedule addressing the goalie position is an imperative. 

I like the "concept of" 🚨
"at the moment".

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

There is absolutely zero chance the team starts the season with Hutton and Ulmark. I wouldn’t be surprised if by the time the Bills play tomorrow that another goalie has been acquired.

Hope so. Hutton may be a good locker room guy, but he's done here. We got cratered last year with him in net.

56 minutes ago, tom webster said:

There is absolutely zero chance the team starts the season with Hutton and Ulmark. I wouldn’t be surprised if by the time the Bills play tomorrow that another goalie has been acquired.

Ralph’s interview today was interesting.  The amount of times he commented that ‘these are our goalies for now.’  

Sure not a resounding vote of confidence.  Language he used and as guarded as he spoke I would also be surprised those are the two they go with.

Edited by Derrico

49 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

VGK would probably need to eat salary for us to take him if Reinhart and Olofsson are signed to expected deals and/or go to arbitration... unless we send them Hutton and Miller/Montour.

Fluery to Buffalo and Vegas needs to pay a heavy toll. Fills both teams needs, but at 7 for 2 more seasons, I want the hammer to drop in additions from Vegas 😄

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Guess we can’t afford him, especially if we’re moving for a goalie, but that is a bargain gift-wrapped in gold ribbon.

Also, if that is the price for a good defenceman, I don’t want to be trading Risto or Montour.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Guess we can’t afford him, especially if we’re moving for a goalie, but that is a bargain gift-wrapped in gold ribbon.

Also, if that is the price for a good defenceman, I don’t want to be trading Risto or Montour.

I think that was a forced scenario. Vancouver had Vegas bent over a barrel situation I suspect, given that length of contract for Schmidt. Good d man though. Also, Vegas roster is now 21/23, and they are still over the cap by a couple million.

Something around Hutton and Fluery with some prospect/pick asset(s) coming back interest you?

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Montour and Hutton for Fleury and picks?

Was typing it as you responded lol

Damn these old fat fingers 😄

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Montour and Hutton for Fleury and picks?

Maybe.  I don't think the Sabres will get much beyond, say, a 2nd and a 3rd, which will be selling Montour low.  I will get over my disappointment pretty quickly though when I start thinking about the playoffs, which I think will be there for the taking with a MAF/Linus combo in net.

EDIT:  the problem though is that taking Montour and Hutton means that Vegas doesn't get much cap relief, which is their reason for trading MAF to begin with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.