Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

33 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The squeeze is happening.  There will be more bargains to be had as RFAs sign and swallow up money, arbitration hearing happen and swallow up more money or have teams walk away and dump more guys out into the market.

Yep, Chris Johnson tweeted this AM that 90% of the Leagues Cap Dollars for Next Season have been allocated already. It’s a buyers market for sure 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Yep, Chris Johnson tweeted this AM that 90% of the Leagues Cap Dollars for Next Season have been allocated already. It’s a buyers market for sure 

That's pretty interesting and will likely factor into Reino's thinking and perhaps Hall's as well.

15 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

Toffoli's contract is what I want to give Olofsson.

Not anymore. Now we've got to ink him in the 3.7 (Kubalik) to 4 range. Until the cap resets and goes up, we've got to get players to settle a smidgen lower. That's where the Girgs deal baffles me. It's not a significant overpay; it's not 3x3. But it's an overpay that equates to another ELC/tweener guy, or a sweetener to a scorer these next couple years.

I'm excited that we signed Hall no doubt. But I wonder if Toffoli would've been the smarter acquisition, had it been possible. Who knows what it would've taken to sign him here but just say its the same deal as Montreal, 4x4.25. Would 4 years of Toffoli at RW on a pretty good deal, been better than 1 year of Hall at LW for $8mil?

I dont mean to sound like im throwing shade on the Hall signing, but i'm just wondering what some of you might think about it. Just seems with that price we could've added 2 good players for the price of one & that would seem to be the shrewder move imo. Of course it takes 2 to tango & Toffoli had his choice of teams to go to so theres no telling if he would've wanted to be here. The RaKru relationship with Hall seemed to be an important part of the Hall deal. Either way im not complaining 😛

1 minute ago, In The Buff said:

I'm excited that we signed Hall no doubt. But I wonder if Toffoli would've been the smarter acquisition, had it been possible. Who knows what it would've taken to sign him here but just say its the same deal as Montreal, 4x4.25. Would 4 years of Toffoli at RW on a pretty good deal, been better than 1 year of Hall at LW for $8mil?

I dont mean to sound like im throwing shade on the Hall signing, but i'm just wondering what some of you might think about it. Just seems with that price we could've added 2 good players for the price of one & that would seem to be the shrewder move imo. Of course it takes 2 to tango & Toffoli had his choice of teams to go to so theres no telling if he would've wanted to be here. The RaKru relationship with Hall seemed to be an important part of the Hall deal. Either way im not complaining 😛

True. However, if Hall is only here one year, then we can get next year's UFA like Toffoli (as well as sign Dahlin) with some of the freed up cash, as there will still be tons of cash-strapped teams and internal-capped teams. That's the benefit of the one-year deal.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

True. However, if Hall is only here one year, then we can get next year's UFA like Toffoli (as well as sign Dahlin) with some of the freed up cash, as there will still be tons of cash-strapped teams and internal-capped teams. That's the benefit of the one-year deal.

Not to mention that Hall was the best player in UFA this year.  Who would have ever thunk it ... the best UFA player signs with the Sabres and we are not talking Leino best UFA.  Hall is the cream on the crop.  A top 10 player in the league.

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not to mention that Hall was the best player in UFA this year.  Who would have ever thunk it ... the best UFA player signs with the Sabres and we are not talking Leino best UFA.  Hall is the cream on the crop.  A top 10 player in the league.

Nah.  I don’t think he is.  Top 10 winger probably.

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Gotta be a trade right? 

Krueger is person who is careful with his words. He knew he would be asked about the goaltending situation. His carefully crafted response was: "At the moment, they are our goaltenders. " When a verbal ace like Krueger gives you a legal and noncommittal response then the meaning should be clear to everyone other than the dullards. It's obvious that the organization is looking for an upgrade probably for the backup goalie. With a probable compressed schedule addressing the goalie position is an imperative. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

This is what I've been wrestling with after the initial shock and awe of the Hall signing dissipated.  They need a goalie, and anyone looking to trade a goalie will want the Sabres to absorb a $3MM-$5MM cap hit in the deal.  The Sabres won't be able to do so unless they separately unload Miller, Montour or (less likely) Risto in a deal where they aren't taking back much cap, or they decide not to bring back Ullmark, Reino or VO.

I don't think the Sabres would dump Montour or Risto for a mediocre draft pick, but they might do so for Miller.  I also don't think that they would decide not to bring back Ullmark, Reino or VO.

I hope the outcome isn't that they stand pat at goalie.  That would be a loser JB move.

I think they should, and probably would. I've maintained it's worth "losing" a deal for Montour if the net-result is positive.

They showed with Kahun, they are willing to potentially squander an asset, and make up the ground later. They improved by losing Kahun, just not directly. 

Maybe they move a D in the trade for a G itself, but if they can't - liquify them for space and futures (that you presumably give up in a goalie deal). You are still converting Montour to a goalie, it's just that you are pulling your pants off over your head, by means of a separate dimension.

You are correct on standing pat, of course. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Better Moe-ray-all than Bah-stan.

Disagree. It's all about the playoffs. Montreal is our competition more so, right now. 

1 hour ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I would be very careful what to give Olofsson at this point: 4M for one season where he proved himself? Id slow that roll a bit

Agree. Such should always be the case with (good!) complimentary players rather than play drivers.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Nah.  I don’t think he is.  Top 10 winger probably.

If it's the Hall of 2 years ago, or better (Eichel pairing), he'd be!

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If it's the Hall of 2 years ago, or better (Eichel pairing), he'd be!

True, he has the potential to be.

I’m excited to have so many game breaking type players on the team.  Eichel, Hall, Dahlin, Skinner (sometimes), Olofsson (on the PP only).  These guys can all change a game in an instant.  Sabres are going to be dangerous.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.