Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

43 minutes ago, Shootica said:

You'd have to think that if there was trade interest in Montour, they would've held off on re-signing him to allow the new team to give him a longer deal if they desired.

...and maybe there are teams that would prefer a 1 year stop gap on the blueline. 😉

1 hour ago, miles said:

it was either him or his people (its the same thing). the announcers talked about it for several games

Pretty sure that didn’t happen.  You’ll have to show me.

There was a point last summer where he was asked if he would be back with Buffalo or if he had requested a trade, and declined to confirm or deny anything.

If that’s what you are taking about, that’s not the same as requesting a trade.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think we're all in agreement that Hutton was bad last year. Ullmark was fine, however and is young enough to get better.

Merzlikins, Keumper and Raanta all make in the low $4s. Fleury is $7. Korpisalo is $2.8.

They can sign their three RFAs right now under the cap. But they can't do that and add a good goalie without sending a player out.

The option of taking on a contract dump is out. We'll have to get more creative than that.

This is what I've been wrestling with after the initial shock and awe of the Hall signing dissipated.  They need a goalie, and anyone looking to trade a goalie will want the Sabres to absorb a $3MM-$5MM cap hit in the deal.  The Sabres won't be able to do so unless they separately unload Miller, Montour or (less likely) Risto in a deal where they aren't taking back much cap, or they decide not to bring back Ullmark, Reino or VO.

I don't think the Sabres would dump Montour or Risto for a mediocre draft pick, but they might do so for Miller.  I also don't think that they would decide not to bring back Ullmark, Reino or VO.

I hope the outcome isn't that they stand pat at goalie.  That would be a loser JB move.

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is what I've been wrestling with after the initial shock and awe of the Hall signing dissipated.  They need a goalie, and anyone looking to trade a goalie will want the Sabres to absorb a $3MM-$5MM cap hit in the deal.  The Sabres won't be able to do so unless they separately unload Miller, Montour or (less likely) Risto in a deal where they aren't taking back much cap, or they decide not to bring back Ullmark, Reino or VO.

I don't think the Sabres would dump Montour or Risto for a mediocre draft pick, but they might do so for Miller.  I also don't think that they would decide not to bring back Ullmark, Reino or VO.

I hope the outcome isn't that they stand pat at goalie.  That would be a loser JB move.

It's weird.

Considering where we were in the summer, I had pretty much resigned myself to the same tandem; too many other moves had to happen first.

But then they happened and I want more.

If Vegas signs Petro, and finds a way to move out MAF and other pieces, they are the masters of rebuilding their roster on the fly.  Kudo's to McPhee and whomever is in the FO with him.

A couple of years ago they traded for Tatar.  He wasn't working out, and next thing you know, he is shipped off to Montreal...no regrets.

Edited by LabattBlue

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If Vegas signs Petro, and finds a way to move out MAF and other pieces, they are the masters of rebuilding their roster on the fly.  Kudo's to McPhee and whomever is in the FO with him.

A couple of years ago they traded for Tatar.  He wasn't working out, and next thing you know, he is shipped off to Montreal...no regrets.

You mean the trade that sent Suzuki to Montreal for Pacioretty? 

I mean, that was some bad trading. They basically traded 2 first round picks (Veleno and Suzuki), Tatar, and 2 second round picks for Pacioretty. Barf. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.