Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

On 10/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I don't know what it is, I still have this wild feeling the Sabres are going to do something big, and that may cost is Reinhart, but hell Ill call it: Taylor Hall is coming to Buffalo.

I

I don’t usually quote myself but I had to!!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Show of hands, who woke up this morning and had the Sabres signing Taylor Hall and Leafs signing Vesey?😀

i am trying to remember vesey's play. i suspect the fact that i dont remember it will sum up his play pretty well.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Anyone wonder what Larsson is thinking right now?

Not really. It would be nice to know what the real reasons were. He said interest was low, but this community thinks interest should have been high. In between those two opinions is the reality that happened inside the locker room and in day-to-day interactions. 

Simmonds, Bogosian and Vesey to the Leafs.

I had a Leafs fan tell me yesterday that Bogo was a winner and would solve their RHD issues. Well he did win in his first ever playoff appearance so there is that. I didn’t have the heart to tell him he was the Sabres 5th best RHD. I just said to expect him to miss some games.

They are making a big deal out of Simmonds‘ toughness. Unless he finds the fountain of youth he will get about 10 minutes a night and have minimal impact. We know he has passed his best before date, as do his previous few teams.

I wish those three luck, except against the Sabres.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Not really. It would be nice to know what the real reasons were. He said interest was low, but this community thinks interest should have been high. In between those two opinions is the reality that happened inside the locker room and in day-to-day interactions. 

I think KA wanted to go in another direction and thought Lazar could do the job for significantly less.  That's the way things work for most 4th line players.  My guess is that KA didn't feel Asplund was ready to step in and be more effective then Girgensons.

24 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Imagine if we could land Mikael Granlund also.. send Sam away + Hutton, then capspace isnt a problem, then again we need a goalie to if Hutton is told to go fly. 

i will be honest. sam gives a respectable 50 points every  season. granlund would make us better, but of all the players to get rid of, sam isnt even on my top 5. 

risto did make it publicly known he wanted out last year. he would be my first, along with hutton. i dont see anyone taking hutton without buffalo eating 50% of his salary. 

the sabres have minor league quality goaltenders. that should be their priority, especially when there was 5 or 6 on free agency that they could have afforded. 

Edited by miles

MODO hates Rhinehart but I don't. I hope they resign him. At this point I would like to see an upgrade in goal but if we have upgraded our offense it compensates for some of the lack in goal. If we had had more scoring last season we may have been a playoff team.

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

MODO hates Rhinehart but I don't. I hope they resign him. At this point I would like to see an upgrade in goal but if we have upgraded our offense it compensates for some of the lack in goal. If we had had more scoring last season we may have been a playoff team.

Thank god were all different, in a good way. Hate is a strong word but it is close, will never like the man. I hope ur right if he gets resigned

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

the only thing preventing the sabres from the playoffs this year would be

injury or our goaltending (or both). the sabres tending was horrific. i remember a stretch where hutton gave up 5 goals per game in what felt like an entire month.  its nearly impossible to win.

i dont buy that garbage of my eye stopped moving right. i hope im wrong, but i dont bet the  season on it

I think we're all in agreement that Hutton was bad last year. Ullmark was fine, however and is young enough to get better.

Merzlikins, Keumper and Raanta all make in the low $4s. Fleury is $7. Korpisalo is $2.8.

They can sign their three RFAs right now under the cap. But they can't do that and add a good goalie without sending a player out.

The option of taking on a contract dump is out. We'll have to get more creative than that.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dudacek said:

I think we're all in agreement that Hutton was bad last year. Ullmark was fine, however and is young enough to get better.

Merzlikins, Keumper and Raanta all make in the low $4s. Fleury is $7. Korpisalo is $2.8.

They can sign their three RFAs right now under the cap. But they can't do that and add a good goalie without sending a player out.

The option of taking on a contract dump is out. We'll have to get more creative than that.

I think with Hall signed and the RHD situation, we can all but guarantee a trade has to occur before opening day. Of course... we said that last year. 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Montour out, goalie in...even if it is two separate deals.  😉

Edited by LabattBlue

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.