Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

After sleeping on this, I guess things aren’t so bad. They are signing filler parts. Luckily these are all 1-2 year deals. I know we are wasting Eichel in his prime, but in 1-2 years Cozen should be entrenched at 2C and Quinn should be ready at 2RW. Lines 1-2 should be solid. I would hope we could bring in a decent 2RW now instead of relying on Cozens. And we still need a top 4 LHD. I’m ambivalent about Hutton. Maybe his eye problems are resolved. 

As for Larsson, he was a 4th liner on one of the worse teams in the NHL. Even if he played 2L minutes, he obviously didn’t do an adequate job. We still sucked. Either he had attitude issues or really wanted to leave. I’ve moved on. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Why is Cousins in that line up?

There's been no confirmed statement from the organization he will definitely be in Buffalo for the up coming season.

Krueger on WGR's the Instigator Show said that he envisions Cozens's starting off on the wing to put him in a less stressful learning situation and allowing him to acclimate to the NHL. Because Cozen's will gain little going back to the juniors where he excelled and due to the fact that he is too young to be sent to the AHL it is probable that he will be on the Sabrer roster.  And it is not out of the question that he starts on the wing on the second line.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm no BRWANDO when it comes to info on this, but there's information from some guy on Roslivic? Trade being worked on for the Jets.

McYntire or McIntyre the source name is.

Edit: Mike McIntyre

Folks say he broke the Stastny trade.

His Twitter post says Vegas clearing space for Pieterangelo? Schmidt name involved.

Edited by Scottysabres

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Marty Biron who is frequently on WGR has stated on numerous occasions that he didn't believe that addressing the goalie situation should be a priority. His repeated lamentation was that the organization needed to bring in players and develop players within the system who can score. I'm sure the organization would not be adverse to upgrade the backup goalie but if they couldn't it do for a reasonable price they probably wouldn't do it. 

Others have brought up the possibility of bringing in Fleury with the hope that Vegas would pay some of the contract and take Hutton. If the Sabres then dealt a player such as Montour or Miller for picks, saving on a contract, that a Fleury deal was not an outlandish thought. Upgrading the goalie position would make a big difference.   

The thought of going into next season without another NHL ready goalie is sort of nuts. Look what happened when Ullmark got hurt last year, the season was basically done with after that. Are we just going to suppose both Hutton (eyes) and Ullmark will make it an entire season injury free. 

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm no BRWANDO when it comes to info on this, but there's information from some guy on Roslivic? Trade being worked on for the Jets.

McYntire or McIntyre the source name is.

Edit: Mike McIntyre

Folks say he broke the Stastny trade.

His Twitter post says Vegas clearing space for Pieterangelo? Schmidt name involved.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Roslovic-ready-for-a-change-572708031.html

The one thing that stands out to me in this article is that Roslo is a natural center? One of the fastest on the team and always comes into camp and is the best in shape but he is no natural center. He did well for awhile between Appleton and Harkins but has only been average or below average when moved up to the top 6. I have to say, when he was moved up, Wheeler was his center and that is not an ideal situation.

I hope he isn't moved.

Harkins Roslo Apples

Gus Lowry Copper 

is a solid bottom six.

I think he is moved. He isn't happy with how he is being used. He fired his agent and hired Claude Lemieux before the season started.

I would think Chevy is looking for a 2LHD until Heinola and Slamberg are ready. Dillon would have been ideal.

Sabres fans are happy with their GM? Chevy has signed...

Forbort 1 x 1m

Sbisa! 1 x 800k

Nate Thompson 1 x 750k

Dominic Toninato? 1 x 700k

Boolow 2 x 1.25m

Mainly dollar store specials. A couple will go to the Moose but I doubt Boolow or Forbort do.

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, tom webster said:

What you have to ask yourself, would you rather Hall go to Boston and Toffoli to Buffalo or Hall to Nashville and Toffoli to Boston?

Now that you put it that way. It depends on whether we are in on Tofolli. Hall the better scorer but he's prone to missing time for injuries. Tofolli I've thought we may have a chance to get. Then ,of course, odds are we're not in on either and in that case Hall to Nashville. But if it means Hall to Boston and we get Tofolli I'm down with that.

Edited by Radar

6 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The thought of going into next season without another NHL ready goalie is sort of nuts. Look what happened when Ullmark got hurt last year, the season was basically done with after that. Are we just going to suppose both Hutton (eyes) and Ullmark will make it an entire season injury free.

The Sabres might still bring in a veteran to replace Hutton but the pickings are getting slim. The next option could be Jonas Johansson who will start off in Rochester. He was brought up last year when Ullmark went down. 

The odds are small but if the Sabres could make a Fleury signing financially work it would be a significant transaction for this organization. 

This free agency is going super slow.

Assuming that Buffalo keeps the RFAs who are moving towards arbitration, I see their remaining offseason To Do List as follows:

-Bring in a top-6 (at least middle-6) RW

-Improve the goalie situation at least a little 

-Move one of Risto, Miller, Montour

-Bring in a reliable bottom 4 LD

If they can’t get 3/4 of that done, I have serious doubts about their ability to be a playoff team.  If they don’t get 2/4 of those done, I think there is no chance.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.