Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

Fleury, Martinez and a pick for Hutton gives Vegas the space they need.

Then we do the long-discussed Montour for Copp and a pick.

Leaves us with about $17 million to sign Olofsson, Ullmark and Reinhart, and add another forward if Terry is feeling like spending to the cap.

Skinner Eichel (Fast/Cozens)

Olofsson Staal Reinhart

Girgensons Copp Okposo

Reider (Cozens/Asplund/Lazar) Thompson

Dahlin Jokiharju

Martinez Ristolainen

McCabe Millier

Fleury

Ullmark

That's a playoff team

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Leaves us with about $17 million to sign Olofsson, Ullmark and Reinhart, and add another forward if Terry is feeling like spending to the cap.

Olofsson Staal Reinhart

Girgensons Copp Okposo

Dahlin Jokiharju

Martinez Ristolainen

McCabe Millier

Fleury

Ullmark

That's a playoff team

Olofsson should be on Eichles wing.

20 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Why would they not, they have 2 of the best players in the legue for quite some years to come. Why not go all in a go win a ***** cup. 

Yep.  I’m jealous.

19 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Plus, he’s really not that good.

This.  When there was a fake report the leafs were resigning him yesterday I texted my buddy.  His first reaction was no way why the ***** would they do that???

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Agreed.  (And barring another top 6 winger being brought in, so should Reinhart.  Optimize your best asset, not your overpaid ones.)

I don't have strong feelings about this, but Skinner has a history of playing well with Eichel and not with Staal.

And I'd like to Sam start to do more driving. He would with Staal and VO.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

I don't have strong feelings about this, but Skinner has a history of playing well with Eichel and not with Staal.

Not so sure about Skinner not being effective with Staal as he rarely had the opportunity to play with him.

Eichel played much higher in the offensive zone when he played w/ Skinner.  Don't want him playing to overcome Jeff's defensive shortcomings and adjusting to his need to be near the net to be effective.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jsb said:

Man now I know why Prozac sales in Buffalo are skyrocketing, the panic attacks in this topic are something to behold. It was only the first day of free agency yesterday. I certainly don't want another 6M dollar Okposo deal so I'm ok with them trying to be patient. Freddie K. obviously has a lot of say in the guys picked up yesterday. Rieder in particular was picked because of his rep as a PKr. Which needed to be addressed and one of the things I picked up on the KA interviews was they wanted guys who would address a need. I also got the impression the way they were going to penny pinch so to speak was they were going to give every chance in the world for the young guys Cozens-Thompson and Casey to win a spot on the roster. Casey obviously has the biggest hurdle to climb. I think Cozens and in particular Thompson are ready even though it appears very few else do. From everything I've seen and read, he's worked out this past year and looks like a beast. 

I'm ok with KA and Freddie to try and mold the roster in their image of the team. As for Kahun, I don't get the impression they were as impressed with him as we were. He only played 11 minutes a game when he was here so I don't think he's the savior some are thinking he might be.

Agree with all the bolded.

There's an un-bolded bit that I wanted to address in the middle - it's fine to give Cozens, Thompson, and Casey a chance, but we absolutely need to have fail-safe options on the roster should they not be able to fill the roles required. Who's on the roster right now ready to be our 3C/Larsson replacement if one offseason hasn't moulded Casey from a non-NHL player, into a player ready for the hardest defensive usage in the league?  Who's stepping in at 2RW if a rookie Cozens isn't ready to be a top 6 fixture right of the gate with no experience?

Same principle applies to letting Kahun go. 

Edited by Thorny

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Maybe it has to do with how we see players as they are. 
I have never liked Sam and he should have been sent away long time ago. He is trash imo, not because of his skills but how he acts on the ice, literally trash. To be honest i fkn dislike him so much that i wouldnt even put him on my 4th line if i was in charge. 

Sam does not deserve to be on Jacks wing, Victor does. 

Edit: And yes, my opinions really dont matter in this case but just saying 🙂

Edited by MODO Hockey

4 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

I have never liked Sam and he should have been sent away long time ago. He is trash imo, not because of his skills but how he acts on the ice, literally trash. To be honest i fkn dislike him so much that i wouldnt even put him on my 4th line if i was in charge. 

Wow!

3 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Serious question: how does he act on the ice that draws such a strong reaction?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Olofsson Staal Reinhart

Girgensons Copp Okposo

Dahlin Jokiharju

Martinez Ristolainen

McCabe Millier

Fleury

Ullmark

That's a playoff team

Long discussed? By who..me?😆

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The sample size with Staal is very small, right? I feel like Skinner and Staal would be very complimentary players, but that's just my reading. I'd give it the first shot, though. If we can get Skinner close to maximized away from Jack, that'll be key. 

You have Reinhart on line 2 though so it's fine. IMO one of Skinner or Reinhart should def be on line 2

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Serious question: how does he act on the ice that draws such a strong reaction?

How he reacts when oposit team score, how he reacts when he is the fault of them scoring, i dont know how to explain it other than i just see (in my opinion) the dislike of this team in his eyes, to me it looks like he never believes. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

This doesn't surprise me and I'd imagine a fair few feel this way. From the moment he was drafted we've been told, have known, and have seen that Reinhart doesn't "look" like your average "good" players out there on the ice. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.