Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

What's this alleged reason?

You omitted Darcy and Sexy Rexy, 2 very experienced guys, from your list.

Is the last sentence a "speculate that" or "speculate whether"?

I missed Rex coaching the Sabres. The tenure must have been over in a flash. Was he instantly fired for sniffing the skates?

Darcy wasn't a Pegula hire, just a retention, and it didn't last long, did it?

The reason is obvious and has been postulated numerous times. I would never spam this board with repetitive content.

The Greiss deal means it’s trade or bust on the goalie front for the Sabres. The other UFAs don’t move the needle enough for me to eat Hutton’s contract.

It also leaves the Sabres as one of the few buyers left in the goalie market. 

The Smith deal is a great one for the Bruins, IMO.

Hopefully knocks them out as competition for some of the other good wingers.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Subban is with the Blackhawks and they plan to bring him up.  If Greiss was willing to go to Detroit, I don't see why he'd be unwilling to come here.

He might be, but I’d assume only if Hutton was sent packing first. That will cost money. This situation is a little tricky. I’m sort of sold on the keeping the pair we have but making sure a somewhat servicble player is ready to come up and play if needed. 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Why would he come here? Unless Hutton is waived or something. I’m thinking they bring in someone with NHL experience but who is will8ng to go to Rochester. Subban? 

If they acquire a goalie its to replace Hutton and platoon w/ Ullmark. Griess decided to take a 2 year deal with Detroit

Subban is in Chicago I believe and will have a shot there with Crawford gone.

Pickings are slim in the Goalie Department of FA, mostly a bunch of older guys who might not have much left in the tank......

5 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

If Sabres trade for Fluery it's only because they have cap space to retain and trade him to Pittsburgh...

Fluery and Martinez to Buffalo for Hutton.

Sabres retain 50% on Fluery and trade him to Pittsburgh for Rust and DeSmith?

Buffalo is looking for a goalie, they aren't going to move him to Pittsburgh who just signed a backup goalie (Lagace).

11 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

If Vegas signs Petro are they looking at moving Martinez?

it sounds like their move to clear space is getting rid of Fleury.

It also sounds like the only thing holding up a deal is finding a 3rd team to be a part of it to retain part of his salary since it looks like most teams don't want him at full price (and the teams that may be able to afford him at full price don't need him)

Just now, jsb said:

Well if we go that route, how about Fleury-Martinez-Tuch for Hutton-Montour + they keep some of Fleury's contract

Because the point of dealing Fleury is to get the full contract off the books, its why they want to add a 3rd team to the deal to take some of the contract. 

Any deal for Fleury (and a sweetner) is going to be for mostly picks, not the other teams garbage and/or problem contracts.

Vegas can't afford to bring in salary because they are trying to make the move to free it up for AP

I think The Knights should try their luck at MGM and try to double their cap room at the tables.......

Just now, jsb said:

Well if we go that route, how about Fleury-Martinez-Tuch for Hutton-Montour + they keep some of Fleury's contract

Apparently Martinez and Nate Schmidt are being shopped to clear room, with one of the them being deemed unnecessary due to Pie.

Either would be a great fit here,  we have space and we can use Fleury.

Sabres have talked to Vegas about other things apparently, but I haven't heard a whiff of the Sabres interest in Fleury though.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.