Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Oh please. I guess I understand the pessimism but this team made strides last year, has two young superstars and a well respected coach who had one year so far to put this plan into place. Things aren’t anywhere near as dire as some want to keep telling us.

We had two young superstars from 2015-2018 too and look where that got us. 

Oh please. I guess I understand the pessimism but this team made strides last year, has two young superstars and a well respected coach who had one year so far to put this plan into place. Things aren’t anywhere near as dire as some want to keep telling us.

The Dahlin jump that I think will occur will be awesome. Fingers crossed. 

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Can't believe Minnesota gave Talbot more than Khudobin got from Dallas. If I was a hockey player I'd hire whoever his agent is. Crazy. 

Talbot is a better goalie than Khudobin.

Was really afraid the Sabres would end up being the team overpaying Khudobin.  Khudobin is excellent against square shots, but doesn't move well.  Reminds a bit of a Ray Emery (minus the pugilism).

They couldn't even make the extended playoffs with additional teams added after a shorten season

Like usual though fans will complain if everyone isn't optimistic that all the young guys will just improve to superstars and the team will magically make the playoffs because they have another season under their belt

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

We projected for 5 standings points more over 82 games, compared to the year before - that's a pretty liberal definition of "strides"

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Free agency isn’t the only avenue to obtain a goaltender.

Sure, but that avenue also costs precious assets no one wants to give up

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

I agree. The big fish are still there but now they have to land one.

And those big fish will also have alot of suitors to chose from trying for their services.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Free agency isn’t the only avenue to obtain a goaltender.

A respected but pretty much unproven coach (I do like him) two superstars (tells me nothing about mtg. You and I could have done that) . Finally, what strides? If you're not a playoff team in this league?

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

Wheeler's 8.25m USD turns into just about 11m CAD. I wouldn't want to guess what a 750k house in Winnipeg would cost in some other markets.

I remember the USD dollar being 1.56 CAD and I had a ton of americans up hunting ducks that season. It was a very profitable season.

I would have liked a center on a 3 year deal but I guess Stastny has some chemistry with Laine and Ehlers.....6.5m is a bit too much for Stastny as well.

Let's make a separate thread for this.please.

50 minutes ago, Radar said:

Edmonton just for one and a few others. Not to mention the Sabres need may be greater. I do appreciate your attempts to put a positive spin on things

Im trying I figure I have been incredibly pessimistic many times over 35 years of rooting for this franchise, why not be optimistic, even for a few more days?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, tom webster said:

That was a nice get.

5 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Depends on the length and AAV for Brodie if this is good. I hope the Leafs massively overpaid but we shall see

4 years at 5M AAV.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the Leafs just leafed

OK, bullet dodged.

Leafs are nearly $2 million over the cap and they still have to sign Mikhayev and Dermott.

Dump coming there.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Sabres should be on the phone with Krug, Vatenen, and especially Erik Gustafsson.  Gustafsson would be a great fit.  All top-4 left-shot Ds.  All point producers.

We don't need PP defencemen.

Dahlin will get all the ice time there and Miller and Risto are good backups. Montour is serviceable.

Krug at least is good at even strength. The other two, I'd rather look elsewhere.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.