Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Was away busy at work 4 CT scans in succession... last one scary guy had and Aortic dissection from mid chest down through abdomen that went into a bi-femoral aneurysms.  

How the hell do you survive that long enough to get a CT scan?

Just now, #freejame said:

If Larsson is as valuable as everyone says he is why is it I haven’t seen his name around anywhere? Shouldn’t teams be all over him?

Even Sabres fans don't seem to be aware of his value, so it doesn't surprise me outsiders don't. 

His value is buried under an Everest of D usage. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

was going to ask the same thing. Unless you are in the hospital getting scanned as it happens. 

No idea guy had to be living with it for a while for it to get that bad.... who the hell knows

1 hour ago, Weave said:

How the hell do you survive that long enough to get a CT scan?

Talked a tech more knowledgeable than me... it can be managed with blood thinners til it can be fixed

Edited by North Buffalo

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

But every other team but Buffalo using analytics. Shouldn’t they be seeing this?

I'm sure he'll find a home and he'll make them very happy if they actually have a roster capable of maximizing what he allows for. 

There are plenty of good players who have no signed

Edited by Thorny

I've never been big on using free agency but I think we've been put in a place where we needed to make one significant hit this year. We are at this point worst on paper than last season and that's factoring in the Stall deal.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Even Sabres fans don't seem to be aware of his value, so it doesn't surprise me outsiders don't. 

I suppose that we should allow for the possibility that he actually isn't as valuable in the opinion of the professional talent evaluators as he is by a few on this board though, no?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, fiftyone said:

I suppose that we should allow for the possibility that he actually isn't as valuable in the opinion of the professional talent evaluators as he is by a few on this board though, no?

It's not up to me to decide what you or anyone else should "allow" for. 

I don't feel much inclination to reign in my personal opinion of Larsson because I'm not a professional talent evaluator

Larsson absolutely is underrated by some "professional talent evaluators, imo. My position already allowed for that. That he's underrated has always been central to my view, ie, he's not as valuable in the eyes of the people you mentioned as I think he should be. 

Edited by Thorny

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

But this value was value to a team who has lacked talent and perennially under performed year after year. Maybe he’s great for a bad team but Does his value hold for a better team?

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

But this value was value to a team who has lacked talent and perennially under performed year after year. Maybe he’s great for a bad team but Does his value hold for a better team?

Generally players that are great on bad teams find the transition to good teams easier, where they'll actually have support, than players who were useful on a good team being moved to a new team, that asks more from them. More from them than they are capable of. 

We've given the league a pretty good idea of how much Larsson can be stretched defensively and not break. Look at the numbers. He didn't break.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Generally players that are great on bad teams find the transition to good teams easier, where they'll actually have support, than players who were useful on a good team being moved to a new team, that asks more from them. More from them than they are capable of. 

We've given the league a pretty good idea of how much Larsson can be stretched defensively and not break. Look at the numbers. He didn't break. 

But in Buffalo if he was routinely use to shut down the first line, and that was his value to us, is that his value to a better team? Maybe they have better players in that role and thus his value to them is less. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.