Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

18 minutes ago, Shootica said:

In my opinion...

Needs: 3C, 4LW that can PK, Secondary scoring 3LW (hopefully Kahun), bottom 4 LHD.

Wants: Middle six RW so we aren't relying on Cozens and Thompson.

Not all have to come through free agency, but realistically most should.

You don’t think we need a goalie? 

34 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’m down for it.

Sign Toffoli?, lock up Tage, start Cozens at RW, draft Quinn.  I get a niggling feeling that Reinhart could be traded.  I only half believe it, but I can’t get it out of the back of my mind.

Edited by Curt

A) I fully expect a player like Toffoli to play on Jack’s wing.

B) I believe they are open to trading Sam but only if he’s part of a package that they believe brings back an even better forward or number one pairing defenseman 

C) I believe they are open to signing Kahun at their number but I believe when the dust settles people will be happy if they don’t over pay for him.

D) A goalie upgrade is guaranteed 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m down for it.

Sign Toffoli?, lock up Tage, start Cozens at RW, draft Quinn.  I get a niggling feeling that Reinhart could be traded.  I only half believe it, but I can’t get it out of the back of my mind.

Could you and some of your wise cohorts give a brief evaluation of Toffoli? Could he play on our first line or is he a second line player or lower?  

16 minutes ago, tom webster said:

B) I believe they are open to trading Sam but only if he’s part of a package that they believe brings back an even better forward or number one pairing defenseman 

C) I believe they are open to signing Kahun at their number but I believe when the dust settles people will be happy if they don’t over pay for him.

I agree with most of this, but:

- I will be pretty surprised if Jack's wingers aren't Reino and either VO or Skinner.  That changes of course if Reino is traded.

- With Kahun, it really depends on the outcome.  If he signs elsewhere for, say, $2.75MM x 2 years, most here (including me) will be PO'd that the Sabres didn't sign him (unless, of course, we are blown away by the Sabres' other moves, but that seems unlikely).

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Could you and some of your wise cohorts give a brief evaluation of Toffoli? Could he play on our first line or is he a second line player or lower?  

He’s more of a 2nd line or high level 3rd line player, from what I’ve gathered. 

I suppose you COULD slot him anywhere in the lineup, depending on what ours ends up looking like. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Unless they seriously overpay, I think playing with Jack is the only way to tempt Toffoli to come here, and it might take both the promise and the overpayment.

His wife is an LA native (I think she works for the Dodgers, or maybe the Angels?) and he loves the west coast.

I'd really like to see a scenario where it makes sense to play Sam with Staal, but we really need a better choice than Tage or Cozens to make that happen.

26 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Coming from you, all of this — especially the bolded — makes me happy.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

He’s more of a 2nd line or high level 3rd line player, from what I’ve gathered. 

I suppose you COULD slot him anywhere in the lineup, depending on what ours ends up looking like. 

Toffoli is a good second line winger, who can finish and will go to the dirty areas. He's kinda slow but can think the game fast. He's a good guy and plays well with good players.

Really, he's sorta Matt Moulsonish, if you remember Matt when he was good and not when his skating had deteriorated to slushiness.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well at this point we are a worse team than last year even if Cozens is ready to make the roster so unless they do a few somethings we are not going to be close to the playoffs. 

They are going to fill out the roster.  They can't use USHL players.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.