Murray trade- could Sabres have acquired him?

gilbert11

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

With the UFA goalie market being saturated, I’ll wait until moves are made there before judging this one 

This.

Ideally, I want a guy to challenge Linus in a way that allows us to pick the winner next summer. Murray for a late 2nd is a good trade value, but I'm not sure he's a guy I want to commit to today as our guy going forward, and that's the type of contract he'd be demanding.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Knightrider said:

So all these goalies have moved...  and we still don’t seem to have an answer in goal.  I generally try to be more of a glass half full poster, but...  it’s been a long time since we’ve had competent goaltending.

There are still at least 2 teams looking to trade a goalie that would be an upgrade to Hutton out of town.  The Sabres are rumored to be talking to 1 of them about a goalie & the other about other players, so both could be the source of the upgrade we're looking for.

Edited by Taro T

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

There are still at least 2 teams looking to trade an upgrade to Hutton out.  The Sabres are rumored to be talking to 1 of them about a goalie & the other about other players, so both could be the source of the upgrade we're looking for.

Sure, but now they have to give up assets to get one, not just cash. And the team they are talking to about a goalie is only looking to move one of them to maximise their trade value. Columbus isn't going to take garbage back for one of their goalies, they are only on the trade block because they can afford to trade one for a big return.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Sure, but now they have to give up assets to get one, not just cash. And the team they are talking to about a goalie is only looking to move one of them to maximise their trade value. Columbus isn't going to take garbage back for one of their goalies, they are only on the trade block because they can afford to trade one for a big return.

True, but Talbot & Greiss were the only 2 UFA's that moved that really made sense in Buffalo IMHO.

Don't forget, Columbus is also looking to make sure they get value for 1 of their 2 keepers because the guy they don't choose has to be on Seattle's radar.  (And he still would be in Buffalo which could save the Sabres their 4th D-man, should the trade happen.)

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

True, but Talbot & Greiss were the only 2 UFA's that moved that really made sense in Buffalo IMHO.

Don't forget, Columbus is also looking to make sure they get value for 1 of their 2 keepers because the guy they don't choose has to be on Seattle's radar.  (And he still would be in Buffalo which could save the Sabres their 4th D-man, should the trade happen.)

But if the only reason for trading the goalie is to get something for them before the expansion draft, they could always hold onto them until the trade deadline, or trade them before the draft, they don't have to make the move now if they don't get what they want.

There were other goalies that would make sense for the Sabres that were available , Its not like Ullmark has proven he can be a #1 goalie on his own and him being a 1B of a tandem isn't a bad thing.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

There are still at least 2 teams looking to trade a goalie that would be an upgrade to Hutton out of town.  The Sabres are rumored to be talking to 1 of them about a goalie & the other about other players, so both could be the source of the upgrade we're looking for.

Thanks, Taro!  I miss being able to spend time on here...  I have 4 kids (2 midgets, a squirt and a mite) playing. Between them and work, about all I get is what is covered on WGR when I’m driving...  which ain’t nearly as often as it used to be.  

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

But if the only reason for trading the goalie is to get something for them before the expansion draft, they could always hold onto them until the trade deadline, or trade them before the draft, they don't have to make the move now if they don't get what they want.

There were other goalies that would make sense for the Sabres that were available , Its not like Ullmark has proven he can be a #1 goalie on his own and him being a 1B of a tandem isn't a bad thing.

Ullmark’s inability to hug a post is just maddening. 

5 minutes ago, Knightrider said:

Thanks, Taro!  I miss being able to spend time on here...  I have 4 kids (2 midgets, a squirt and a mite) playing. Between them and work, about all I get is what is covered on WGR when I’m driving...  which ain’t nearly as often as it used to be.  

4!  Waaaaay too outnumbered.  LOL.

Were the 2 midgets at least close enough that they were on the same team every other year, or did you just get them together the last/2nd last year possible.

Was amazed at how much easier stuff was once the Midgets were both together.

Good to see you back. 🍺

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

4!  Waaaaay too outnumbered.  LOL.

Were the 2 midgets at least close enough that they were on the same team every other year, or did you just get them together the last/2nd last year possible.

Was amazed at how much easier stuff was once the Midgets were both together.

Good to see you back. 🍺

The midgets are twins...  they have been on the same team most years, but not all.  One was most skilled and the other was toward the bottom skill size when they were.  The best part of midgets is that one of them landed a girlfriend with a license (they’ll be 16 next April) who likes taking them to practices. 😆 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.