Sabres Do Not Qualify Kahun

Brawndo

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

Yup. This answers the question of whether Sheevyn can replace Kahun with a better player instead. It makes letting him walk quite palatable.

I think it's still possible that they bring him back, but it would certainly be at their terms, and he'll probably have to wait for them to make a bunch of other moves and then see if there's a spot and any money for him left.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/10/2020 at 9:36 PM, dudacek said:

He is fast approaching “concept of” status, isn’t he?

This "Concept Of"... is it possible to learn this power?

Not from a Kassian.

On 10/11/2020 at 6:01 AM, LTS said:

The concept of "concept of" around here is strong. 

You must feel the Concept Of around you! Here, between you, me.... The 'Space, the ice. Everywhere.

On 10/11/2020 at 6:29 AM, Scottysabres said:

But, if applying the concept of the "concept of" theory, are we not allowing ourselves the concept of "concept of" to become a concept of our views on "concept of"?

Asking for the concept of a friend....

Thanks. I'll hang up now as Schopp and Bulldogs heads mimic a concept of exploding......

That's it. I think the Concept Of needs to be on the same level as the Ehrhoff/Moulson in that it will always be with us.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MattPie said:

I haven't see anything about Kahun signing anywhere. Still kinda wonder if he may end a Sabre, even with all the additions.

After the Hall signing it's more Ka-who than Kahun.  I saw an article earlier that he would be a good low cost option for a cash strapped team (2MM AAV/2 years).  I would hope the Sabres are in on him at that price, but as you mentioned they are running out of spots so I'm not sure he's still in their plans.  

2 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

I still hope we sign him. Depth and not forcing young players into a lineup if they're not ready is always good

Me too.  I thought Kahun-Cozens-Tage could be a fun line to watch that could give other teams fits, especially with the Top6 we will have when Reino and VO sign

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/12/2020 at 1:22 PM, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Me too.  I thought Kahun-Cozens-Tage could be a fun line to watch that could give other teams fits, especially with the Top6 we will have when Reino and VO sign

If you want Cozens to learn bad habits and useless play. 

I'd much prefer Cozens either play with high end talent or on a checking line first where he learns to play 2 way hockey completely as he adjusts. Slow and steady development. Not in between a slacker and a giraffe. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If you want Cozens to learn bad habits and useless play. 

I'd much prefer Cozens either play with high end talent or on a checking line first where he learns to play 2 way hockey completely as he adjusts. Slow and steady development. Not in between a slacker and a giraffe. 

Not a Kahun fan eh?

I like the idea of starting Cozens on Staal's wing to start the year.  Put them with whichever of Hall and Skinner ends up on the second line.  There will be so many small teachable moments for Cozens as learns the pro game, and we have no one better than Staal to mentor him along the way.

8 hours ago, Shootica said:

Not a Kahun fan eh?

I like the idea of starting Cozens on Staal's wing to start the year.  Put them with whichever of Hall and Skinner ends up on the second line.  There will be so many small teachable moments for Cozens as learns the pro game, and we have no one better than Staal to mentor him along the way.

It's a bit of a tricky proposition, potentially. Mostly it just comes down to him actually being ready to go. We want to put him in the best spot for his development, but we also can't put him on line two if it's going to sabotage our attempt at winning, which should be the utmost priority. If he's ready to contribute, it may be a bit of a moot point because I'd guess both Staal and Eakin represent Cs who possess the qualities we want Cozens imbibing - mostly stuff about work ethic and being a pro.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Ok, Kahun still not signed.

Does anyone find this a bit unusual? Like maybe something has to happen arbitration or trade wise first?

Curious.

He must be asking for way too much, maybe time to find a new agent.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Took 15 years & a pandemic, but the predictions that the middle 6 guys would get squeezed hard in a salary cap world finally seem to be coming to fruition.

And making the contracts to Thompson and Girgensons look a little foolish.  Why pay Girgensons 2.2 when you could have Kahun for less, and Haula and Athanasiou for similar money?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And making the contracts to Thompson and Girgensons look a little foolish.  Why pay Girgensons 2.2 when you could have Kahun for less, and Haula and Athanasiou for similar money?

The contract to Girgensons appears to be because he's one of Krueger's guys and fits into an already defined role.  And expect part of the reason he got that deal is to show that if you buy in & do your job well, you will be rewarded for it.

The contract to Thompson seems high, but it can be walked away from after this year for peanuts should they choose to do so.  And if he lives up to even 2/3's of what Botterill apparently expected him to be it's an absolute steal. 

My gut is that both are overpayments, but not terribly egregious ones.  

Do we know at the time those deals were inked that Kahun would've come in cheaper?  Believe they think Tage's ceiling is higher than Kahun's & don't see Kahun having been willing to go that low at the time & Girgensons fits a different role than Kahun.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's true, I've scratched my head at a couple of the signings - doesn't matter if Girgs is Krueger's man, really, as he could have been had for less, regardless. It's a pretty odd overpay. I understand in theory the desire to keep him over the guys you listed, but it should have been at a discount. 

Regardless, disagreeing with a few of the evaluations here and there doesn't bother me due to what looks like an apparent, solid plan. The vision as a whole appears to be a cohesive one - and that's why goalie is coming up so much. The vision argument only makes sense with an upgrade in goal. 

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's true, I've scratched my head at a couple of the signings - doesn't matter if Girgs is Krueger's man, really, as he could have been had for less, regardless. It's a pretty odd overpay. I understand in theory the desire to keep him over the guys you listed, but it should have been at a discount. 

Regardless, disagreeing with a few of the evaluations here and there doesn't bother me due to what looks like an apparent, solid plan. The vision as a whole appears to be a cohesive one - and that's why goalie is coming up so much. The vision argument only makes sense with an upgrade in goal. 

And the vision makes little sense without goalie.  One of our biggest issues last year was bad goaltending by both goalies on the PK and neither actually stole of us games. Ullmark did a better job of keeping us in games.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And the vision makes little sense without goalie.  One of our biggest issues last year was bad goaltending by both goalies on the PK and neither actually stole of us games. Ullmark did a better job of keeping us in games.  

I agree. 

Ullmark's sv% numbers last season look pretty good. I'm fine with him as the starter but we need an upgrade on Hutton. Hutton was actually 46th overall for sv% last season, so maybe mid-pack for backup goaltenders? On the surface I'd have imagined he'd be lower ranked. Maybe that's because he seemed to tail off as the season went on. I could see someone looking at things and saying with an improved PK, maybe it'd be enough. 

Can't get there myself though. There were too many times I can remember Hutton letting in back-breaker goals. He bares his fair share of blame in why the PK was bad. I don't think we'll see the quality shot suppression we saw last season if we move to a more run-and-gun style to complement our high end forwards and cover up the decreased defensive acumen in the bottom 6 at even strength, as losing Larsson is going to hurt, there. No change to the actual defenseman, either. As of now it'd pretty much be a roll-back of the bottom 8. 

We can point to Hutton's eye problems last year as a potential avenue of improvement, but I wouldn't be close to comfortable betting on it. Not when he'll be 35 for next season - just as likely he gets further age-related drop off. 

I wouldn't argue that the current tandem is unacceptable on it's face, but considering the short-term construction we've seen this offseason, I think relative to that it's still far too much of a weak link. Status quo on this front would perhaps be palatable in a growth/evaluation year with lower expecations, but it risks torpedoing what should be a playoff roster. If the goal is playoffs, it should be a 50 percent or better proposition heading into the season and the current tandem leaves the projection below that, IMO. I don't think we'll be able to lean on the starter to the extent we'd want in a condensed season, making a quality back-up even more important. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.