Sabres Do Not Qualify Kahun

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Someone referenced Thompson deal in reference to Kahun and my biggest take away was that Adams focused on the potential he sees in Tage. My take is he doesn't think Kahun has much "more" to give in his analysis. 

Coincides with dudacek's thoughts on Quinn v Rossi 

I listened to most of the interview and I think you are reading too much into the comparison between them. Their situations are different from a player standpoint and contract standpoint. I agree with you that he believes in the potential of Tage. However, the GM has pegged the more established Kahun at a certain value and it appears that Kahun and his agent want to go beyond that range. 

I'm hoping that the a deal can get worked out. We should know fairly soon after Kahun's agent scans the market whether he can get a much better contract somewhere else. I wouldn't be surprised if he could get more money elsewhere but would it be enough to leave a situation that is favorable to him? 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Someone referenced Thompson deal in reference to Kahun and my biggest take away was that Adams focused on the potential he sees in Tage. My take is he doesn't think Kahun has much "more" to give in his analysis. 

Coincides with dudacek's thoughts on Quinn v Rossi 

This is a reasonable takeaway, which could have legs.

And I agree that for a strategy like that work, they really really need to evaluate players well.  If you are going to start making big bets on upside, you better bet on the right guys, or things could blow up in your face pretty quick.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I think it's reasonable to be wary of Adams's choice to risk losing what is currently our 2nd best RW to UFA in an intentional salary negotiation tactic to avoid arbitration.

Yes. Is this being smart and tough, or is it being Shortsighted and cheap?

Right now, I’d lean to the latter, even though I think this board’s love of Kahun has yet to be earned.

I could never picture Botterill doing this.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Right now, I’d lean to the latter, even though I think this board’s love of Kahun has yet to be earned.

What would the estimated arbitration award look like? If they qualify him and can't find an extension, are they bound to that award? 

I'm perfectly fine with this.

"We continue to have dialogue with his agent and made it clear that we’d like to continue those conversations going over the next couple days, so hopefully we get to a deal that works," Adams said. "I think he understands that we believe in him as a player and it was just a position where we weren’t able to get to a spot where we both felt comfortable, but we’re going to continue talking." - Adams

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

What would the estimated arbitration award look like? If they qualify him and can't find an extension, are they bound to that award? 

The team can walk away from the award and the player becomes an UFA doesn't he?

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Kahun’s Agent is going to have an idea of what his worth on the open market is before Noon on Friday. 

Tampering be damned. 

No presigning calling period this year?  They did have a window the last couple of years.  (Haven't seen the new CBA, so flying blind on all this.)

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

The team can walk away from the award and the player becomes an UFA doesn't he?

I just read something saying only if its greater than 4.5 mil. But I didn't read the CBA so someone would have to confirm

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

So Adams gives Thompson 1.4 without ever proving anything in the NHL, but won’t pay a proven but still youth depth scoring forward.  You go KA.  Clearly genius at work.

1.4 for 3 years though. If he's even remotely adequate, years 2/3 can be a huge bargain

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So Adams gives Thompson 1.4 without ever proving anything in the NHL, but won’t pay a proven but still youth depth scoring forward.  You go KA.  Clearly genius at work.

Well, how big is Kahun?

So far it’s been Staal, giraffe Tage, Lazar, and choosing Quinn over “tiny” Rossi. Oh and what’s his name the AHL player who is big. 

There seems to be a pattern here so far. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Well, how big is Kahun?

So far it’s been Staal, giraffe Tage, Lazar, and choosing Quinn over “tiny” Rossi. Oh and what’s his name the AHL player who is big. 

There seems to be a pattern here so far. 

He’s 5’11, but a German.  Keeping him should have been a no brainer.  This is a penny wise pound foolish move.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

you mean Effective, Efficient, and Economical.  🍺

The future is an unknown at this time when it comes to covid. The impact on owners is being felt nearly league wide as financial projections are out the window as of now I'd imagine. This could be a huge factor playing in to not only Kahun's situation, but the multitude of serviceable NHL players we see not being qualified I'd guess.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.