Sabres 131st overall pick (5th round), Matteo Constantini

IKnowPhysics

Homer pick from the Buffalo Jr Sabres.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/504013/matteo-costantini

Plays C, shoots left.

36G-32A-68P in 50GP.

6'0" 174lb.

Ranked #225 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #96 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Won OJHL rookie of the year.  Will skate for Penticton in the BCHL this year, then on to University of North Dakota next year.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So we hate this pick because he is from Buffalo?

No, and he's from St. Cat's.  I suppose that's close enough.

I don't like the pick because there was no reason to reach down to Junior-A for a guy who would come to camp here as a UDFA anyway.

Even as an over-ager, he's going for one more year in Junior-A.

This was a laugh.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So we hate this pick because he is from Buffalo?

There is no way we can know much about the projection of the players at this stage, personally, this far down the draft. Well maybe Liger does, I don't know. 

If I want to discuss this, all I can analyze are things like league, team, position, etc. It's plausible, yet hard to believe, that the Buffalo Jr. Sabres kid just happened to be BPA. 

I think you've noticed my hesitancy to be happy with the draft proceedings so far, an opinion, so waiting 3 rounds for their next pick and it being the hometown kid doesn't do much to swing my view of how they are drafting, as a whole. 

And also raw stats! Consensus ranks had him lower. Is it ok that I don't like the pick dudacek? haha

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Eleven said:

I don't see any other fifth-round picks from Junior A so far...

Right like he's a league below. It's a perfectly reasonable position to take for the level of knowledge that we have that the pick (and the draft) look wonky. 

It could end up awesome! Or really good. There has been some interesting stuff that allows for a wide range of views here, positive to negative depending on interpretation. 

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There is no way we can know much about the projection of the players at this stage, personally, this far down the draft. Well maybe Liger does, I don't know. 

If I want to discuss this, all I can analyze are things like league, team, position, etc. It's plausible, yet hard to believe, that the Buffalo Jr. Sabres kid just happened to be BPA. 

I think you've noticed my hesitancy to be happy with the draft proceedings so far, an opinion, so waiting 3 rounds for their next pick and it being the hometown kid doesn't do much to swing my view of how they are drafting, as a whole. 

And also raw stats! Consensus ranks had him lower. Is it ok that I don't like the pick dudacek? haha

So I was right? 😄

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It also could be that he needs to straighten out his academics before going to UND, but if that's the case and he truly were good, I wonder why he wouldn't just go the Major Junior route instead of college.

Very good point about it could be academic related,  I hope that's what it is. 

We are just looking for different things @dudacek. I have my biases but they are laid out fair and square - if the Sabres select a CHL player in the next 2 picks, I will be happy with the pick, for the reasons I've explained about wanting to have proof the CHL bias in later rounds is gone. 

If they don't pick a CHL guy, i'll be disappointed. 

No matter who they pick, you yourself will defend the selection. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

if by "from buffalo" you were somehow implying that included all lower-level teams, then ya, it's a factor. 

I seriously have no opinion on this pick, or on anyone’s opinion of this pick.

These guys are all Mark Adams to me until I start hoping they are Victor Olofssons before they turn into Tom Morrows.

And I get your disappointment that the past two days haven’t re-lit the torch of hope.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I seriously have no opinion on this pick, or on anyone’s opinion of this pick.

These guys are all Mark Adams to me until I start hoping they are Victor Olofssons before they turn into Tom Morrows.

And I get your disappointment that the past two days haven’t re-lit the torch of hope.

It's all good. It's just that for someone that has no opinion of my opinion you certainly seem to want to diminish the importance of the factors I am pointing to. 😄

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

It's all good. It's just that for someone that has no opinion my opinion you certainly seem to want to diminish the importance of the factors I am pointing to. 😄

Oh, I have strong opinions on your other opinions. 😁

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh, I have strong opinions on your other opinions. 😁

Fair enough, you were responding in this thread so I assumed you were disagreeing with the factors I was pointing out re:Matteo

Edited by Thorny

45 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Idc Smile GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

From the Athletic:

Buffalo Junior Sabres center Matteo Costantini went to the Sabres with the 131st selection, but it was far from just a homer pick. Costantini was the Ontario Junior Hockey League’s Rookie of the Year after putting up 36 goals and 68 points in 50 games. NHL Central Scouting tabbed him as the No. 96 prospect in North America.

The St. Catharines, Ontario, native is expected to play in the British Columbia Hockey League next season and at the University of North Dakota in 2021-22.

Costantini was one of five Junior Sabres players or alums to get drafted. Montreal took Luke Tuch in second round, Boston took Trevor Kuntar in third, Colorado took Colby Ambrosio in fourth and Tampa Bay took Declan McDonnell with the last pick of the seventh and final round.

Pronman:

Scouts praise Costantini’s compete level and speed, but question how much skill and playmaking he has for the higher levels.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.