Sabres Move Up to 34, Select John Jason Peterka

Brawndo

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Better requires definition.

Win - Loss record in 2021 is my target. And beyond, really, since we are talking drafting strategy. 

I'm taking it your target may be a sticking point in the definition.

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Win - Loss record in 2021 is my target. And beyond, really, since we are talking drafting strategy. 

I'm taking it your target may be a sticking point in the definition.

It all depends on your perception of the assessed risk and how much value needs to be placed on the 2020. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

It all depends on your perception of the assessed risk and how much value needs to be placed on the 2020. 

It's a funny dynamic. I'm tempted to argue that drafting for need is poor judgment re: both long and short term. 

If we are stocking our current roster with needs-meeting ELCs, I'm not sure how good we'll be in the current term.

And in the long term, I feel BPA would lead to a higher-net talent, down the road. 

Edited by Thorny

You can draft for need, but you have to hit - both on talent, and your view of a roster in an uncertain future. If you hit on both, it arguably could work out better than BPA. 

If you draft purely on talent, yes you have to hit on evaluation, but you are less reliant on how the waves of the future might shape your roster in the coming years.

- - - 

My initial instinct is Adams is choosing to, and believes he can, operate on a razor thin margin for error. He's got to get his talent analysis dead on with this draft strategy, and his evaluations have to be dead on if he's going to pay Thompson and play hard-ball with Kahun. 

Venturing into the murkier waters of theory - perhaps Adams has the gall to operate on this tight rope because ownership has said, if he keeps it cheap, he can have more than a couple kicks at the can. 

Edited by Thorny

Is it just me, or should JJ Peterka be a quarterback for the Miami Hurricanes?

Jack Quinn is a top-tier Hockey name; Constantini? Jake Konecny? 

Crowe and Nightingale really hit this year out of the park according to my player name analytics.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Burying the lead here. 

In reference to drafting Quinn two of his three listed factors were position and current roster 

Lede. I try not to be that person because I speak in Star Wars quotes and I do enough proofreading in my day job. But it's such a beautiful word and it's a specific term that gets misused unless you're in the business. The more you know (cue the gif of the star... or of Flint saying "and knowing is half the battle").

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is it just me, or should JJ Peterka be a quarterback for the Miami Hurricanes?

Jack Quinn is a top-tier Hockey name; Constantini? Jake Konecny? 

Crowe and Nightingale really hit this year out of the park according to my player name analytics.

We did very poorly on my EA NHL cool names to draft rankings board. I like JJ Peterka though. Constantini or Istanbu...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Lede. I try not to be that person because I speak in Star Wars quotes and I do enough proofreading in my day job. But it's such a beautiful word and it's a specific term that gets misused unless you're in the business. The more you know (cue the gif of the star... or of Flint saying "and knowing is half the battle").

Oh no, this is my favorite post of the day, bar none. 

It's like when I found out CLUB Sandwich stands for Chicken Lettuce Under Bacon. 

Being totally humbled by new information is a pleasure, it's like being a kid, a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's like when I found out CLUB Sandwich stands for Chicken Lettuce Under Bacon. 

Being totally humbled by new information is a pleasure, it's like being a kid, a bit. 

Well ****-dang! CLUB isn't a club, but instead an acronym? Teachable moments abound! This made my day as well. It's like a TIE fighter was so-named because it resembled a bow-tie on set. Then later they had to give it an acronym to make sense. Much obliged!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Well ****-dang! CLUB isn't a club, but instead an acronym? Teachable moments abound! This made my day as well. It's like a TIE fighter was so-named because it resembled a bow-tie on set. Then later they had to give it an acronym to make sense. Much obliged!

I WAS hoping for this. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Funnily enough reading up on it now, there is debate about whether the acronym is real from inception or merely a later development/claim. 🤣

We're a bit off topic, but I think now (7 here out west) is the perfect opportunity to remind everyone for the first time that we had a draft today.... or rather a Disbursement of Rookies Amidst Franchised Teams.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Where can I buy this chicken lettuce?

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, inkman said:

Right.  Which is why NHL GMs have always used free agency and trades to shape rosters and fulfil needs.  

Which is what we're waiting for now, to see if there is a part 2 so to speak. Looking at a few of the trades that have already happened and a few of the names supposedly on the block I see possibilities I was hoping might be addressed at draft time (using picks this year as part of those deals). See what free agency brings.

• spndnchz unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.