Sabres Move Up to 34, Select John Jason Peterka

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Two competitive productive forwards who go both ways and can drive offence.

Positive trend here for me.

Both who are specifically productive in a goal scoring sense and both who specifically play RW I'm sorry man but leaving out details doesn't make it less of a clear need/type based pick.

We've assuredly drafted two players who would ideally play the same role - that's their projection. 

Edited by Thorny

I probably would have taken Mysak there but I get the pick of JJP. He has some ties to Krueger in a 7 degress of Kevin Bacon kind of way. I will note that Stutzle who was the biggest German prospect this draft, grew up in the Manheim system so jumping from the younger team to the older team is straightforward. JJP went from a czech league to the DEL and that is a bit more of a challenge. He did stick with his club all year and that is something to note. Idk if I would have traded up to do this but a 4th round pick is kinda whatever so there's a shot JJP is a top 6 forward might as well get him. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Both who are specifically productive in a goal scoring sense and both who specifically play RW I'm sorry man but leaving out details doesn't make it less of a clear need/type based pick.

Considering that Pekar was our only RW in the system beside Thompson, is it really a surprise we drafted 2 RWs.

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Considering that Pekar was our only RW in the system beside Thompson, is it really a surprise we drafted 2 RWs.

So if Pekar and Thompson both graduate to the NHL, then we'll only have RW in out development system?  So confusing.  You can't draft for need if players are half a decade away from contributing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Probably but RW seems to be the targeted need. Which it is, but I don't want to wait another 3 years to see 

It also could be they thought they were the best forwards available and took them. We'll find out eventually, hopefully they'll be right.

• Like (+1) 1

I would guess that drafting for need was a factor in the sense that the Sabres needed to bolster their very limited stable of forward prospects as opposed to D or G.

However, within the group of good forwards that was available to them, I would guess that they chose BPA.  As others have noted, due to the development timeline, it would be nuts for them to draft RWs based on their current roster needs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.