Sabres Move Up to 34, Select John Jason Peterka

Brawndo

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/05/03/john-jason-peterka-scouting-report/

Peterka has the offensive skills and the intelligence to be a top-six forward at the next level. He is likely to stay in Germany next year, continuing to play in the DEL. As he continues to get more minutes against men, look for to Peterka to put up bigger offensive numbers and improve his defensive game. His game is reminiscent of Patrick Kane, however, this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill or ability.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Athletic ranked him the 2nd best player still on the board after round 1:

2. John-Jason Peterka, RW, Munich-DEL

Jan. 14, 2002 | 5-foot-11 | 192 pounds

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 40
Hockey Sense: 60

Peterka was a tough player to evaluate this season, as he played very limited minutes on the top team in the DEL. I’ve seen him at other levels over the years, so I believe in the talent, but the lack of playing time in his draft season makes his projection more uncertain in both directions. I see a great toolkit. I see a player with quick twitch hands and ability to beat pro defenders. He’s a strong skater who can make highly skilled plays at a quick pace. He moves the puck well, although Peterka’s 60 IQ comes more from how creative he is offensively, as opposed to being a truly great playmaker. He’s not that big and I wouldn’t call him a great two-way forward, but he does work to win puck battles, and he’s not a perimeter forward.

Tobias Abstreiter, coach of Germany U20 Team, on Peterka: “With the puck he’s a threat. He has good speed and very good skill.”

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Guess it would have been too ridiculous to just make a trade for Laine................

Despite all the talk it's looking like they're just trying desperately for need and I'm thinking we are basically going with no scouting staff. I'm thinking no tv package this year. 

Quinn appeared to be for need, JPP seems like BPA

Just now, WildCard said:

Seems good... @LGR4GM ?

Give me an hour. It is hard with German prospects because the numbers are more complicated. When you look at a CHL player or a USDP player, you know what you need to see numbers wise for that position. I would say Liiga and SHL are similar. So that means, I am watching what I can find and reading what I can read now but...

By all accounts this kid is good. Non-stop motor, good skills, loves to shoot, will eat your soul to get the puck back. 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Sabres Analytics Twitter likes it 

no way, those guys hate everyone

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Sabres Analytics Twitter likes it 

They do

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Give me an hour. It is hard with German prospects because the numbers are more complicated. When you look at a CHL player or a USDP player, you know what you need to see numbers wise for that position. I would say Liiga and SHL are similar. So that means, I am watching what I can find and reading what I can read now but...

By all accounts this kid is good. Non-stop motor, good skills, loves to shoot, will eat your soul to get the puck back. 

no way, those guys hate everyone

No, they hated Quinn cause it was a poor pick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.