NHL Draft Round 2

WildCard

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I dunno man, maybe everyone was wrong and Quinn will end up the best of the guys there - let's go with that. 

FWIW - The Oilers had Quinn high, too. With their stellar drafting record. 

The experts have been wrong before.  The projections have been wrong before.  

2012 - yakupov and reinhart... woops.

2013 - Lots liked Drouin over Barkov, most had him over lindholm and monahan.

2014 - Bennett

2015 - Strome

Regarding analytics in the words of Mac from it's always sunny "Science is a liar... sometimes"

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is where I want to see a goaltending prospect drafted. 

Not agreeing or disagreeing on merit, but that would probably shape up to be in the top ten weirdest drafts for us.

1. RW
  2. Move up to RW
  3. No pick
  4. No pick
  5. G
  6. No pick
  7. ?, ?

It'd make me wonder if the Sabres' draft board, after the early 2nd round, was just like "***** it, there's nobody left."  Or worse, a reflection of cleaning out the scouting staff four months ago: "don't need scouts if we got no picks."

Buffalo #131, up next btw.

3 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Not agreeing or disagreeing on merit, but that would probably shape up to be in the top ten weirdest drafts for us.

1. RW
  2. Move up to RW
  3. No pick
  4. No pick
  5. G
  6. No pick
  7. ?, ?

It'd make me wonder if the Sabres' draft board, after the early 2nd round, was just like "***** it, there's nobody left."  Or worse, a reflection of cleaning out the scouting staff four months ago: "don't need scouts if we got no picks."

Buffalo #131, up next btw.

I get it and I don't mind if they trade for a prospect but after Ukka-Pekka, there really aren't any prospects left, are there?

Just now, Thorny said:

On the verge of 19 straight picks outside the first round avoiding the CHL. 

I don't think they avoided the CHL today. They only had 4 picks outside of the first so not really surprised that 3 have been non CHL. We got a German, Swede, and former Jr Sabre. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I don't think they avoided the CHL today. They only had 4 picks outside of the first so not really surprised that 3 have been non CHL. We got a German, Swede, and former Jr Sabre. 

Just saying.. the trend continues (depending on last pick). There isn't enough data to say the intentional avoidance hasn't continued. We can only speculate. 

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I doubt they are avoiding the CHL,  they had 4 picks total.

So not much in terms of a sample size 

We can't know. 

The fact remains - The Sabres have not ventured into the CHL after the first round in the last 4 drafts. It's a very noteworthy trend. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.