Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn

LGR4GM

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

https://hockeyprospect.com/2020-nhl-draft-rankings/?cn-reloaded=1

I've always found their rankings fairly interesting. 

Peterka at 24, Lundell at 25 is an eyebrow-raiser.

To me, this list is more evidence of all the variations that are out there and why "off-the-board" isn't as much of thing as we think it is.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Peterka at 24, Lundell at 25 is an eyebrow-raiser.

To me, this list is more evidence of all the variations that are out there and why "off-the-board" isn't as much of thing as we think it is.

Depends on how much you value growth v risk. Lundell, Rossi, a couple other guys are very polished players. What you see if roughly what you will get. If you have an appetite for more risk with possible reward, some other guys have similar skills but are more rough, they might look better once polished. It is a risky gamble though and I think the Sabres did that a little with Quinn over Rossi. Peterka where they got him though was good. 

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If Quinn ends up better than Perfetti I'm happy

If Quinn ends up as good as the better of Rossi and Perfitti, we win.  If not, we don't.

Many here don't expect it.  Adams & his staff do.  

As long as he ends up a legit 2nd liner, it's all good.  (At least 1 of the 3, 4 counting Lundell, will.  Sabres had the choice of all 4.)  If one ends up a 1st liner & it isn't Quinn, well, them's the breaks as long as Quinn is a 2.

Edited by Taro T

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If Quinn ends up as good as the better of Rossi and Perfitti, we win.  If not, we don't.

As long as he ends up a legit 2nd liner, it's all good.  (At least 1 of the 3, 4 counting Lundell, will.  Sabres had the choice of all 4.)  If one ends up a 1st liner & it isn't Quinn, well, them's the breaks as long as Quinn is a 2.

Sure, but how do Holtz and Drysdale and Sanderson and Raymond and even Stuzle fit into that mix?

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Anybody drafted prior to 8 doesn't fit into it.  Because they were never an option.  IMHO.

Maybe not to your point, but if Rossi turns into Danny Briere and Quinn into Jason Pominville, will Sabres fans care that much if Holtz is Nylander, Sanderson is Myers, Drysdale is Pysyk and Stutzle Zagrapan?

Just now, dudacek said:

Maybe not to your point, but if Rossi turns into Danny Briere and Quinn into Jason Pominville, will Sabres fans care that much if Holtz is Nylander, Sanderson is Myers, Drysdale is Pysyk and Stutzle Zagrapan?

And I'm batman 

Just now, dudacek said:

Personally, would look back & breathe a sigh of relief that everybody else screwed up.  But whether they end up clowns or world beaters, they weren't options.  And if Quinn ends up Pominville, Adams will have done alright.

At this point I couldn’t care less with the other draft picks turn into… I just want the draft pick that we chose to turn into a solid contributor and the Sabres. Even if it means on the third line. Sure I would’ve hoped for more… But I’m not gonna be crying in my Cheerios if he turns out no better than a solid third line contributor. If he turns out to be a solid top six… bonus.  I’ll be satisfied with that even more.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Personally, would look back & breathe a sigh of relief that everybody else screwed up.  But whether they end up clowns or world beaters, they weren't options.  And if Quinn ends up Pominville, Adams will have done alright.

By that time most everyone on this site will be calling him a bust because he didn't become a star by age 20. What was Jason 24-25 before his breakout year on 06-07'??

From my perspective, this looked one of those drafts where from 2-13 there are going to be 1 or 2 Pastrnak-level players and 1 or 2 Bennett-level players and whole bunch in that Reinhart/Nylander/Ehlers range. You hope Quinn is one of the Pastrnaks, but as long as he's not one of the Bennetts, no regrets.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I picked Perfetti cause he's a Jet. I don't like the Jets. 

Nope, not one iota. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jsb said:

By that time most everyone on this site will be calling him a bust because he didn't become a star by age 20. What was Jason 24-25 before his breakout year on 06-07'??

He turned 24 in season in '06-'07.

His "breakout" was that series winning shorty in `06.

Don't forget, his development missed several/many games in the NHL as a 22 yo due to the lockout.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He turned 24 in season in '06-'07.

His "breakout" was that series winning shorty in `06.

Don't forget, his development missed several/many games in the NHL as a 22 yo due to the lockout.

Maybe I was too sarcastic, I think you missed my point

5 hours ago, jsb said:

That was 20 years ago. Development is different now and even still a player breaking out at 25 is an exception, we should be getting on rules. 

Who's spot will he take... well, he'll take Cozens spot as Cozens becomes a center and the lines get juggled without Staal here. My guess is that means 3rd line rw behind olofsson and Reinhart to start. 

That's if he makes the team and doesn't go to the AHL first. 

• Like (+1) 1