Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

This screams to the Pegula's seeing that we didn't score enough goals, and going for a one dimensional player in Jack Quinn.  Quinn is a quality hockey player and a first round talent, but this is such a ***** microcosm of how terrible this team is run.  The Pegula's made this pick, our GM is a puppet and I ***** hate this team.  @Pegulas get out the sport of hockey, you kill the fans every single year more and more.  I hate this selection. 

I don’t understand how this ownership gets it right with the Bills, after the dumb hiring of Rex, and is so bad with the Sabres.  

9 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

I don’t understand how this ownership gets it right with the Bills, after the dumb hiring of Rex, and is so bad with the Sabres.  

You are responding to a conspiracy theory.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Some thoughts on Quinn courtesy of mynhldraft.com...

Jack Quinn's Player Profile

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Mar. 20th: "Scouts have taken notice after a solid summer of training. He's versatile enough to play all three forward positions and has the offensive instincts to execute plays. He was second in the OHL with 52 goals and tied for eighth with 89 points in 62 games."

I see it now, after making dozens of C's into RW, they're going to try it the other way.

I realize it's a bit of apples vs oranges, but I can't help but compare this high vitriolic reaction to our pick as to a certain 1st rd pick at #7 by the Bills just 3 short years ago. (See Josh Allen)

Just a reminder that we wont really know how this pick stacks up for a while. Give it time folks.  This is not the Sabres' Apocalypse.  😉

8 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

I realize it's a bit of apples vs oranges, but I can't help but compare this high vitriolic reaction to our pick as to a certain 1st rd pick at #7 by the Bills just 3 short years ago. (See Josh Allen)

Just a reminder that we wont really know how this pick stacks up for a while. Give it time folks.  This is not the Sabres' Apocalypse.  😉

This is a lot like the Allen pick. Somewhat out of nowhere, everyone asking "why?", and most of all, risky. It worked for Allen, maybe it does again. Not that way I'd bet.

12 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

A bunch of other people in this thread made the same comparison.

There are a bunch of differences tho. 1 being that historically speaking, both the Bills & the Sabres have whiffed on 1st rd picks. Just that the Bills have hit on them more often than not with the new regime. This was KA's 1st opportunity to disappoint & given Quinn's consensus ranking, we reached a bit, and went back on our pre draft statements of using analytics to influence our decision & picking the BPA.

As with all things, time will tell how this pans out & who was the best choice

Edited by In The Buff
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MattPie said:

This is a lot like the Allen pick. Somewhat out of nowhere, everyone asking "why?", and most of all, risky. It worked for Allen, maybe it does again. Not that way I'd bet.

Very optimistic.  I hope you turn out to be correct.

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Maybe Quinn doesn't look like a drastic reach from 8, but eliteprospects had his consensus rank at 12, and Perfetti's was 6. That's a big jump. 6 to 12 is a big jump in consensus rankings. 

Experts thought Nylander was a better prospect than sergachev, McAvoy, and chychrun. They have made mistakes before. 

I just can't take another Nylander or mittelstadt. This kid has good production in ohl, and seems to be a hard worker. Hopefully he has the humility and leadership qualities to succeed. Please be SOMETHING 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

Alright, let's see...

Draft picks that I've immediately ***** all over: Casey Mittlestadt, Joel Armia, Ryan Johnson, Zemgus(I didn't flip out but I was very luke warm about it) Willis McGahee, JP Losman, John McCargo, Aaron Maybin (lost my mind on this one), EJ Manuel, and Josh Allen.

Win some, lose some, but I'm done with that now. Life is too short to let sports take time off of it for me. I hope this kid is great. I wish him well. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm watching the Yankees losing to the Rays and I'm drinking cooking brandy.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Experts thought Nylander was a better prospect than sergachev, McAvoy, and chychrun. They have made mistakes before. 

I just can't take another Nylander or mittelstadt. This kid has good production in ohl, and seems to be a hard worker. Hopefully he has the humility and leadership qualities to succeed. Please be SOMETHING 

This probably needs more emphasis. If we were to re-draft today where would both of those players be? Casey was a consensus top 10 player. Right now he may never see the NHL again. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, SDS said:

This probably needs more emphasis. If we were to re-draft today where would both of those players be? Casey was a consensus top 10 player. Right now he may never see the NHL again. 

Plenty of people had Sergachev and Chychrun ranked ahead. I remember being personally disappointed we didn't get those players, having advocated for D at the time. 

I actually expect both of these guys to be good players, I don't think we are going to have a Mitts/Alex situation on our hands. It's truly just about a belief in some of the other guys. 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Taking a stand up double, when the triple or inside the park HR was there for the taking 

I waited a few hours looking forward to this thread and it didn’t disappoint.

It was far more restrained than I thought it would be. Kudos to LGR for some great, informed posting. This Brawndo post captures exactly what the pick should have felt like to informed fans.

4 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

This is the worst drafting team in the NHL for the past 10 years.  They don't have a player outside of Asplund past the first round that has played a single game.  It just goes to show, that a new general manager who "works well" with the owners, and "understands our feelings" is going to be nothing more than a god damned yes man.  Jack Quinn, is only mentioned as a natural goal scorer with a shot.  That's a "one dimensional" hockey player at definition.  I will admit, I haven't watched a ton of tape, because I didn't think we'd be taking a player ranked anywhere between 10-16.   I was more involved in two way centermen.  Once again, we have center issues, and settling on a 37 year old being your answer, is a short term view, not long term realistic view.  If Quinn is who you believe is the best talent on the board at 8, I want someone else laying the decision making.  Sell the team Terry, you have a profitable football franchise that will make you more money.  However, you decide to get involved in almost every decision and this is just another example of why you're trash.  Yes, I'm overly angry at everything, but I was hoping that analytics would put a player like Marco Rossi, or Anton Lundell over.  Instead, we got an overager, who does one thing well.  Half of my anger will be defused with in a few hours, but I'm pissed. 

This is the type of misinformation and Ill-informed rage I expected to see much more of.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Haven't been this displeased w/ a Sabres 1st rounder since Nylander.  2 much better players on the board & the Sabres went for need.

This just seems so much like the Bills pick of McCargo.  Looking at the raw stats but not the circumstances.

Honestly would've rather had Askarov (& didn't want Askarov at 8).

This is entirely fair in the first paragraph and entirely wrong in the second. I suspect Taro’s views will change when he gets a better grasp of the raw stats and the circumstances.

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm furious, I absolutely despise the pick since it was not only over Rossi and Perfetti but spits in the face of practically everything Adams and staff said they were doing.

We took a one dimensional goal scorer that will take at least 2 years to work his way up to the team and will more than likely flame out like many before him.

I am not clear about how this spits in the face of what they said they were doing. It is clearly the product of what they were doing. Occam’s razor suggests you didn’t understand what they were doing. (And how many of you have insight into the analytics the Sabres applied here.)

As others have pointed out, calling Quinn a one-dimensional goal scorer shows a complete lack of knowledge of the player.

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Here is Brock Otten's Write up from his mock draft (best guy covering the OHL by far)

Quinn ahead of Rossi? Are you insane? I have Rossi ahead of Quinn in my own personal rankings, but this is a mock draft and I do think that NHL franchises are going to put more value into what Quinn brings to the table. Elite goal scorers who play both ends of the ice do not grow on trees. Quinn is the type of player that the Jets seem to love and if the team does decide to move on from Patrik Laine, he could fill his shoes. Just look at what Mark Stone did for Vegas in the playoffs. Quinn has the potential to be that sort of impact two-way forward.

I always thought it was weird that Quinn would get handwaved as being old and playing on a good team but we never heard those things about Rossi, who plays on the same team and is almost exactly the same age.

I also thought it was weird that people would talk about his goals being padded by the PP when he was the best even-strength goal scorer in the draft.

But what really intrigued me was that he was potentially the best goal scorer In the draft but was also a top PKer And a good forechecker and a defensively responsible matchup guy. And he was a hard working character kid who could skate and his size was fine. The best goal scorers usually have multiple red flags we are asked to overlook because of their scoring.

I pulled the Mark Stone card myself on this board.

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Craig Button lists Jack Quinn as one of his three first-round hockey crushes. This is decidedly different than saying something good about everyone at every slot.

This was delightful to me because Quinn was my crush for the draft, the guy I thought deserved to be picked higher than where the charts were slotting him. I talked myself into being fine with Holtz or Lundell or Sanderson because they seemed to be worthy of the pick, but Quinn was the guy I really liked out of the guys I thought we might be picking from.

But there were two guys I also really liked In this draft that I didn’t think were going to be available. And then the draft fell and Perfetti and Rossi were both there for the taking.

My reading of the Sabres pre-draft was that Rossi was their guy; I was so convinced that when Adams said Ottawa my head nod started then vanished into a “wait, what?”

So I got a player I really liked and wanted who I think will be a similar, but better Sabre than Jason Pominville. And I missed out on the most competitive (Rossi) and the most intelligent (Perfetti) skilled players in the draft.

It’s possible Quinn’s mix of skill and compete will elevate him above the other two, but that’s not how I saw it.

The Sabres “informed dreaming” process thought otherwise. Like every other draft, we will find out in five years.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

NHL comparables... Jason Pominville, Casey MIttlestadt, TJ Oshie, Alex Nylander, Brock Boeser.

Lol. Who puts Jason Pominville and Casey Middlestat on the same list?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

As I posted earlier, what is there not to like about getting someone at 8 who was described as the "best goal scorer in the draft" on the NBCSN broadcast of the draft?!?

If the kid (and they are all kids) did not have a chip on his shoulder before, he certainly would now if he were to read this thread.  The more I think about it, Quinn reminds me of the City of Buffalo.  He is an underdog who was cut by his AAA team.  He had to work hard to get where he is and ultimately, through hard work and perseverance, became the "best goal scorer in the draft," improved his skating, and is a good two way player.

It is so hard to predict just how good guys that young ultimately will be, but I think that a guy with a back story like that will be easy to root for and has a good chance of being a very productive NHL player.  

Quinn is a guy who got rejected, was not appreciated, was a late bloomer, and worked hard to get where he is today.

Sound familiar???

Ryhmes with Bosh Fallon (as others have mentioned).

• Like (+1) 2

Scott Wheelers take in @theathletic

LOSERS:

24. Buffalo Sabres

Pick: 8. Jack Quinn
My ranking: No. 15 (change: +7)

Though I didn’t love the Senators taking Sanderson at No. 5, Quinn was the first real reach of the draft for me. And that has less to do with Quinn’s ability as a prospect (he’s a multi-faceted individual creator who’s game has detail and who’s frame lends itself to continue growth and potential yet-to-be-scratched level) than it does with who else was available. As good as Quinn is, and as exciting as his late-blooming development curve is, there just isn’t a case, for me, for him as a better prospect than a Perfetti or a Rossi. That Rossi was on Quinn’s team, and clearly the best player on that team, makes the pick a weird one for me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jsb said:

Scott Wheelers take in @theathletic

LOSERS:

24. Buffalo Sabres

Pick: 8. Jack Quinn
My ranking: No. 15 (change: +7)

Though I didn’t love the Senators taking Sanderson at No. 5, Quinn was the first real reach of the draft for me. And that has less to do with Quinn’s ability as a prospect (he’s a multi-faceted individual creator who’s game has detail and who’s frame lends itself to continue growth and potential yet-to-be-scratched level) than it does with who else was available. As good as Quinn is, and as exciting as his late-blooming development curve is, there just isn’t a case, for me, for him as a better prospect than a Perfetti or a Rossi. That Rossi was on Quinn’s team, and clearly the best player on that team, makes the pick a weird one for me.

So what he is saying is that he did not think that the Sabres did well because they did not follow his draft board.

Got it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Meh. Life’s too short to stress, fret, or hand wring over drafting kids to play a sport and become millionaires. So I hope Quinn turns out to be a top 6 NHLer in a few years. And if he doesn’t ... oh well. No worries here.
Keep on developing kid!

Rinse repeat for every pick every year. That mindset isn’t for everybody. I get it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

You must be happy with Perfetti. I don't know if he'll end up a C but I would have liked him at 8. Never mind 10. 

Never mind after making the playoffs. 

Good grief. 

😉🙃

Didn't make the playoffs; thus, we don't have to give a 3rd instead of a 4th for Eakin (useless).

Really happy with Perfetti. It'll take a few years but he's a gooder. Looks to be a center.

Chevy will still be in the market for a center although D is more pressing than center.

The overall does not like this pick at all. I read a comment of a scout that had seen him develop during a long time and he said that all his goals are missleading because of beeing on the same team as Rossi. 

But who knows, future will tell. He may be another Jeff Skinner. Cant create jack sh1t without jack. 

Family Time Reaction GIF by Lifetime

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

The overall does not like this pick at all. I read a comment of a scout that had seen him develop during a long time and he said that all his goals are missleading because of beeing on the same team as Rossi. 

But who knows, future will tell. He may be another Jeff Skinner. Cant create jack sh1t without jack. 

Family Time Reaction GIF by Lifetime

Maybe I am not remembering correctly (it is late), but I thought that I read that Quinn and Rossi primarily played on different lines

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Maybe I am not remembering correctly (it is late), but I thought that I read that Quinn and Rossi primarily played on different lines

Correct. Although the point of the comment could be that he played against teams second lines due to Rossi playing the top line