Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn

LGR4GM

Guy on draft dynasty shows video that points out that his hands are near elite and because of this he is in a winger that doesn’t just get set up by Rossi. He makes the first and second people miss, so he is very instrumental in scoring his own goals and not leeching off of others.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Guy on draft dynasty shows video that points out that his hands are near elite and because of this he is in a winger that doesn’t just get set up by Rossi. He makes the first and second people miss, so he is very instrumental in scoring his own goals and not leeching off of others.

He and Rossi were on different lines. They only shared the ice on PP1.

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I *do* enjoy the process of reading through this thread page 1-9 where everyone freaks out at the beginning and by the end everyone loves our new goal-scoring stud 😄

It's like going through every stage of depression... within 2 hours, lol.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Soooooooooo.... Casey?

If we trade Reinhart, Pegula absolutely had a hand

The fact that you, Liger, can say so many good things about Quinn in this thread and still be disappointed to the level you are about what we passed up, says a lot about what we passed up. 

Why do you think they will trade reinhart when it will be 2 or 3 years before he makes the team?

He migh push him down the lineup in 5 years but where will Reinhart's game be in 5 years.

As far as grabbing Quinn at 8........... people were absolutely shocked and thought the rookie GM didn't know what he was doing when Chevy made Scheif his 1st pick at 7.

1 minute ago, bunomatic said:

I’m starting to warm up to this pick. Keep the positive aspects of this kid coming folks. 

Well, up until he was about 15, Quinn was a 3 sport athlete and it was only in that 15-16 year that he focused in on hockey as what he wanted. I mention this because there's a chance he is still on that steep incline we see when prospects go from DY-1 to DY to DY+1

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Why do you think they will trade reinhart when it will be 2 or 3 years before he makes the team?

He migh push him down the lineup in 5 years but where will Reinhart's game be in 5 years.

As far as grabbing Quinn at 8........... people were absolutely shocked and thought the rookie GM didn't know what he was doing when Chevy made Scheif his 1st pick at 7.

Maybe Pegula wants to save money. Not saying I think it will happen, just calling it out now. 

Yes, sometimes players who weren't the consensus guys end up the right pick. We'll have to see. It doesn't mean that the numbers didn't say there were better guys available. Also lots loved the Scheifele pick at the time, me being one of them. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, SDS said:

This list has quotes from people around the hockey world. Several people comment that he actually played a lot of minutes and both PK and 5v5 away from Rossi.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Jack-Quinn

His 5v5 was almost entirely away from Rossi. PP they definitely were together and I have no idea about the PK but I was happy to hear that Quinn was used on it. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

This list has quotes from people around the hockey world. Several people comment that he actually played a lot of minutes and both PK and 5v5 away from Rossi.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Jack-Quinn

I don't think people are saying Quinn is a byproduct of Rossi, merely that Rossi was the better player. 

Hmm. like the rest of you, not what i expected. Button likes him and I usually disagree with Button so.........  IDK, I like size but he's not all that big, just bigger than Rossi. It's interesting that his ranking varied wildly from 7 to 20 or so. Really, I have no idea. 

I was surprised Raymond went so high. I was pretty sure we;d end up picking him at 8. Wait and see I guess. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

His 5v5 was almost entirely away from Rossi. PP they definitely were together and I have no idea about the PK but I was happy to hear that Quinn was used on it. 

I misread that. My fault.

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Hmm. like the rest of you, not what i expected. Button likes him and I usually disagree with Button so.........  IDK, I like size but he's not all that big, just bigger than Rossi. It's interesting that his ranking varied wildly from 7 to 20 or so. Really, I have no idea. 

I was surprised Raymond went so high. I was pretty sure we;d end up picking him at 8. Wait and see I guess. 

But isn’t that the nature of NHL prospect ranking? Once you get past the first couple players they start becoming equivalent in bunches?

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don't think people are saying Quinn is a byproduct of Rossi, merely that Rossi was the better player. 

I think for those for follow things closely like you and a few others that may be true. I bet there’s a bunch of people like me who don’t dig into the details who think that he may have played with Rossi.

• Like (+1) 2

Corey Locke, Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jeff Skinner, Alex DeBrincat and Arthur Kaliyev are the only other players to score 50 goals in the OHL in their draft year.

Some pretty good hockey players. And Corey Locke

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, ubkev said:

Corey Locke, Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jeff Skinner, Alex DeBrincat and Arthur Kaliyev are the only other players to score 50 goals in the OHL in their draft year.

Some pretty good hockey players. And Corey Locke

Nick Robertson might as well be tossed into that list. 

Jack Quinn wears #22.  This is obviously the reason that Larsson won’t be returning.  Facts.

Other realer news.  Quinn sounds mature and confident in his post draft media Q & A.  Plus, I like his suit and his video chat background is cool and more professional than 42% of the Buffalo media members interviewing him.

Also, he thinks he might need one more year in juniors, if the team thinks so, but after that will definitely be NHL ready.

Edited by Curt

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

I misread that. My fault.

But isn’t that the nature of NHL prospect ranking? Once you get past the first couple players they start becoming equivalent in bunches?

I think for those for follow things closely like you and a few others that may be true. I bet there’s a bunch of people like me who don’t dig into the details who think that he may have played with Rossi.

Totally get that, that's why I mentioned it.

Was he the BPA when the Sabres drafted him?  I've seen him ranked at 10 so theoretically it's not much of a reach based on rankings, but BPA says to me at least that Rossi and Perfetti are better players. 

This feels like more of a need pick then a BPA pick.  He is a RW which we need in our system.  He is a "pure" goal scorer, which we also need in our system.  Jbot only drafted one RW (Pekar) in his 3 seasons to go with 4 LW, 3 C (all in the top 2 rounds), 2 G and 8 D (3 in the top 2 rounds).  He also added centers like Oglevie, DiPietro plus LW/C Routsalainen, and LWs Biro and Murray to the system.  I'd say RW is a definite system need.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Was he the BPA when the Sabres drafted him?  I've seen him ranked at 10 so theoretically it's not much of a reach based on rankings, but BPA says to me at least that Rossi and Perfetti are better players. 

This feels like more of a need pick then a BPA pick.  He is a RW which we need in our system.  He is a "pure" goal scorer, which we also need in our system.  Jbot only drafted one RW (Pekar) in his 3 seasons to go with 4 LW, 3 C (all in the top 2 rounds), 2 G and 8 D (3 in the top 2 rounds).  He also added centers like Oglevie, DiPietro plus LW/C Routsalainen, and LWs Biro and Murray to the system.  I'd say RW is a definite system need.

BPA is tricky because it depends on the evaluation criteria.  BPA in whose eyes?  I’m sure Buffalo thinks he was the BPA.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That it looks needs based is part of why it's such a bad pick. Again, it's all relative. He could be good. Selection right now looks pretty bad. There isn't going to be new information coming to light that has the potential to change that for years. 

If we think he's their 'BPA' the term is likely so loose as to be almost meaningless. Need factored in here. 

• Thanks (+1) 1