Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn

LGR4GM

I will just say that my knowledge of these guys comes from the videos that LGR has posted about them in the past month.

I found Rossi underwhelming. I kept waiting for something to jump out and make me say "wow", to justify all the hype. I never saw it.

The vids of Quinn at least made me say, "Hmmm."

I'm hopeful,… and that's in short supply.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I’m not a hockey draft expert anymore.  

He is 19, pretty good size, ranked 7th in NHL Central Scouting.  Ranked mid-teens by about half the ratings places .  Ehhh let’s give him a chance.  

Well we have to give him a chance now.  It's not like we're going to root against him.  But this was not smart.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, Curt said:

In full disclosure, ranked 7th among N American skaters.  That excludes several higher ranked Euro players and Askarov.

Ok. Definitely helps to know that.  

This could be a Sabre-like pick, or maybe Adams knows something.  

57 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Cryptic

Cool. So nobody knows how good he’s going to be because he didn’t go through the “proper” hockey channels.

Sabres fans will be naming their sons Quinn in a few years.

Soooooooooo.... Casey?

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If Quinn had produced more last season I would have far less concerns than I do. Is this kid what he was the last 3 months of the season or is that a blip. He's a dangerous pick, and he isn't the Pegula's pick. This is a Adams guy. 

If we trade Reinhart, Pegula absolutely had a hand

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Quinn isn't 1 dimensional. That would be a mistake to say. He played the PK for Ottawa so he's got defensive chops. I think he needs to continue to work on his skating and muscles. 

The fact that you, Liger, can say so many good things about Quinn in this thread and still be disappointed to the level you are about what we passed up, says a lot about what we passed up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Soooooooooo.... Casey?

The fact that you, Liger, can say so many good things about Quinn in this thread and still be disappointed to the level you are about what we passed up, says a lot about what we passed up. 

Rossi played the game a way I really liked. Quinn does to an extent but I have more concerns with Quinn. There is a possibility that Quinn in 3 years is the better player, I just am not sure I believe that will be the case. However, Quinn is a good player and if he is what he was in the 2nd half of the season, much like Seth Jarvis you could have a player that we haven't actually seen their best yet. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Soooooooooo.... Casey?

You could also say the pandemic had a hand in it and the owner is just doing what all the other owners are doing.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

It says more about Liger's integrity, which is more impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

Some thoughts on Quinn courtesy of mynhldraft.com...

Jack Quinn's Player Profile

Jacob Barker - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 30th: "His scoring ability is one of the best in the draft class, which combined with his offensive instincts allow him to drive his line offensively and create scoring opportunities for himself and others"

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 21st: "There’s nothing in Quinn’s game to dislike. Add in dynamic ability as a mid-range shooter, impressive athleticism, and an eye for detail and anticipation, and it’s no wonder he broke the 50-goal plateau."

Mike Morreale - NHL.com - Aug. 25th: "The forward (6-0, 176) was second in the OHL with 52 goals and tied for eighth with 89 points in 62 games. Seven other OHL players have scored at least 50 goals in their NHL draft season since 2000-01."

Adam Kimelman - NHL.com - Aug. 25th: "His skating got better as the season went on, and he's confident it will continue to improve as he gets better off-ice training at the pro level. He is already strong enough to win battles along the wall and is tough to knock off the puck."

Steve Kourmianos - The Draft Analyst - Aug. 10th: "Although he shared power-play time with a talented playmaker like Marco Rossi, Quinn spent most of his 52-goal campaign on the 67’s second line away from his draft peer. He’s a serious threat no matter the strength, to include killing penalties and when transitioning quickly from a defensive-zone draw."

Chris Peters - ESPN - June 30th: "I was a very slow convert to Quinn's game, but the more I watched of his tape, the more I liked what I saw. His scoring ability pops, and his skating has gotten to a level that makes me much more comfortable projecting him as a top offensive contributor at the next level."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - June 25th: "Takes care of the little details that have helped improve his all-around game. Amongst the best-in-class goal-scorers."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - Apr. 1st: "It’s not too often we see a draft-eligible OHLer pop 50 goals. Quinn did it despite his season-ending abruptly thanks to Covid-19. He accomplished this while playing on a stacked 67s squad, but played his 5v5 minutes away from Rossi."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Mar. 20th: "Scouts have taken notice after a solid summer of training. He's versatile enough to play all three forward positions and has the offensive instincts to execute plays. He was second in the OHL with 52 goals and tied for eighth with 89 points in 62 games."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Mar. 6th: "Scouts have taken notice after a solid summer of training, his versatility at playing all three forward positions and instincts to execute plays."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Mar. 4th: "The goal-scoring pops (48 in 59 games), especially since he doesn’t play on Ottawa’s top line. The developmental curve year over year has scouts excited about Quinn’s potential."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Feb. 5th: "Scouts have taken notice after a solid summer of training, his versatility at playing all three forward positions and instincts to execute plays."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

It says more about Liger's integrity, which is more impressive.

Idk if I have integrity when it comes to drafts. I hope I have some. Drafts are hard and sadly this year I had less time than I do normally, so my knowledge from here to the end of the draft will be limited. I did spend some time today reading up on the players linked to Buffalo. Again, is Quinn the crazy goal scoring hard working 200ft guy he was in jan-march or is he the medicore player he was the previous year, idk. My gut tells me to lean towards hard worker who has untapped potential. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ve watched Quinn live a few times this year.

He is a solid player who I’ve seen score on the one timer, short handed breakaway deke and a wrister from the circle.

I didn’t think he was top 8 but he was a standout on a good team. I was surprised he was on the #1 PK and #1 PP units.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

I’ve watched Quinn live a few times this year.

He is a solid player who I’ve seen score on the one timer, short handed breakaway deke and a wrister from the circle.

I didn’t think he was top 8 but he was a standout on a good team. I was surprised he was on the #1 PK and #1 PP units.

thanks for the info!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

You could also say the pandemic had a hand in it and the owner is just doing what all the other owners are doing.

If it happens, can you point to any other teams that would be losing/trading a 24 year old, consistent 55-65 point scoring, bona fide first line RFA?

It's going to be a short list. If we trade Reinhart for low cost futures, it is *indefensible*. It hasn't happened, let's not go there further. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Really, Quinn is a player that quite frankly just started entering teams radars as he seriously made the most of his increased role for the Ottawa 67’s. Quinn is not the 67’s name that you’d expect coming up in conversations surrounding Ottawa’s pick at 5th overall, that is obviously Marco Rossi. Quinn’s name may have in fact began its ascension up people’s lists after scouts who were assigned to watch Rossi took notice. He’s a player you couldn’t help but notice for his lightning-fast release and his defensive prowess. He can play in every important situation and was more frequently utilized as the OHL season wore on.

The laziest criticism that I’ve heard about Quinn is that his production (52 G, 37 A, 89 PTS) this past season is thanks in large part, to non-other than, Marco Rossi. The fact is, Jack Quinn did not even play on the same line as Rossi (aside from the PP). “Yeah but Derek, he probably scored all of his goals on the PP, ” wrong again made up voice in my head, Jack Quinn lead the OHL in Even strength goals this season, with just 15 of his 52 coming on the man advantage (also had 3 SHG). Looking at the current construct and future of the Senators roster, there’s plenty of reason why they’d be interested in a pure goal scorer."

Scored 3 shorties I believe and played a lot of pk.  Was worried this was a Laine type one trick pony but don’t think that’s the case.  All around player who may have huge goal scoring potential.  I trust LGR and therefore wanted Rossi but let’s see what happens here, certainly potential.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Jävə Keith said:

So @LGR4GM, who do you like/hope for our next pic round?

IDK who will be there and @rakish and his model might have better answers but Tyler Tullio and Tristen Robins are 2 players that jump out for me. 

Sam Colengelo would also be another name with ties to USDP that might be there. 

• Thanks (+1) 1