Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the question is, does Quinn have more in the tank than what his CHL numbers show. Is there another level there that he's reaching that will be at or above Rossi. I would be very skeptical of that but Leon Draisaitl had major skating questions going into his draft and was really behind Reinhart and Bennett... he's better than both now. 

I think so.

He's got room to physically develop and develop different aspects of his game, probably moreso than currently 95% physically developed Rossi.  Rossi, because of that development, can probably put up more points and make a bigger impact until Quinn develops, but the possibility of plugging Quinn into our unique situation right away could mitigate some of that difference.

I think Adams' staff sees Quinn's potential growth and ability to be plugged in right away.  If it doesn't work, whoever sold the rest of the staff on Quinn could get fired, but there's as good a chance as any 4-10 pick in this draft that this works.

Scajaqueda Line? Skinner-Cozens-Quinn.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the question is, does Quinn have more in the tank than what his CHL numbers show. Is there another level there that he's reaching that will be at or above Rossi. I would be very skeptical of that but Leon Draisaitl had major skating questions going into his draft and was really behind Reinhart and Bennett... he's better than both now. 

You hit on the essential question: What is the upside? The Sabre staff projects that he will be a better prospect in time. As you keenly point out that Draisaitl was evaluated behind Reinhart and Bennett and he is better than both now. It seems that his size and potential to add to his frame was a factor in his selection over some of the other prospect that went right after him. Only time will tell whether this was the right pick. 

I agree with you that this was an Adams selection and not an owner's pick. 

53 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I like the pick honestly.  A pure scoring right winger. Fills a huge need.  All the talking heads thought it was a very smart pick.  

If you think not drafting by BPA is smart

50 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I think me and you are the only ones. The talking heads seemed to love the pick. But the guys here are also very fickle I’ve noticed...

The talking heads love every pick. I'm not kidding. It's tv - they are salesmen. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Except work ethic is an X factor and if you have a player like Rossi who has been in the gym and has lifted in a real way and understands what that means he's not going to stop doing that now. We said the same things about Mittlestadt. Oh he just needs to get in the weight room and work the baby fat off. We are still talking about his lack of improvement in that area.

And not for nothing if you take a #2 center for a team that has Jack Eichel you've done a good thing.

Steve Ott, Adam Mair, Matt Ellis, Mark Weber all worked really hard too. If you can get your Pasta or Stone on Eichel's wing. That's better than a Bozak in 2C. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Quinn isn't 1 dimensional. That would be a mistake to say. He played the PK for Ottawa so he's got defensive chops. I think he needs to continue to work on his skating and muscles. 

I appreciate you not crapping all over the selection and helping fans like me understand the pick better.  I know you wanted Rossi leading up to tonight and even now.  That is making the information you're providing more credible by each of your posts.  Much appreciated.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 7+6=13 said:

I appreciate you not crapping all over the selection and helping fans like me understand the pick better.  I know you wanted Rossi leading up to tonight and even now.  That is making the information you're providing more credible by each of your posts.  Much appreciated.

Trying and thank you. I don't hate the pick but I don't like it. I just don't know if Quinn has that higher level or if he's really just more of a mid 6 winger who can probably give you some pk time. 

12 minutes ago, YouDigg said:

We picked Quinn so that Minnesota could pick Rossi with the next pick.  Now the Staal trade makes a lot more sense for Minny.  (“Future considerations”) 

I suggest this earlier in the thread. I think people are just sparing my feelings. LOL

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

I suggest this earlier in the thread. I think people are just sparing my feelings. LOL

I honestly thought it was a fair point, but Staal is at best a 2 year place holder.  I want to think it had little to nothing to do with the trade, and their ultimate assessment was Quinn > Rossi.

Just now, Shmuffalo said:

I honestly thought it was a fair point, but Staal is at best a 2 year place holder.  I want to think it had little to nothing to do with the trade, and their ultimate assessment was Quinn > Rossi.

Let’s assume the silly notion is true. If so, the question is would you rather have Rossi or Staal and Quinn?

Interesting parallel between this pick and the Thompson signing.

With Thompson, they could have signed him to a one year, ~$1M QO, kicking the can down the road in a “let’s see” manner.  Instead, they bet on the player.  Bet that one or two years down the line they will have themselves a bargain.

With Quinn they could have made a “safe” pick on a more developed player.  They took they guy who they think has more growth potential.  The guy who might make them look clairvoyant a couple years from now.  They bet on the player.

My take away is that they are more than willing to bet on guys who they believe in long term.  I don’t yet know if that’s going to be good or not.

• Like (+1) 2

Listening to the press interview with him now. Sounds solid, impressed with his maturity. Spent past 6 months in gym to get even bigger/stronger so he can still make plays/score while big NHL-ers are trying to knock him off the puck. 

While like many here, I wanted his linemate, Rossi, I am more comfortable with this pick. A solid piece to the TEAM puzzle.  Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

We couldn't have taken a very good centre that they didn't want?

6 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Steve Ott, Adam Mair, Matt Ellis, Mark Weber all worked really hard too. If you can get your Pasta or Stone on Eichel's wing. That's better than a Bozak in 2C. 

This may be the thinking.  Having a Eichel centre a top line with good 2-way wingers might be the aim; alternatively, have a 2nd line like Ramsay-Luce-Gare with, say, Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart is this version of Martin-Perreault-Robert.  (We can dream, right?)

1 minute ago, Jävə Keith said:

Listening to the press interview with him now. Sounds solid, impressed with his maturity. Spent past 6 months in gym to get even bigger/stronger so he can still make plays/score while big NHL-ers are trying to knock him off the puck. 

While like many here, I wanted his linemate, Rossi, I am more comfortable with this pick. A solid piece to the TEAM puzzle.  Time will tell.

I am really curious to hear about his size (weight) and if he worked on his foot speed. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Pimlach said:

I’m not a hockey draft expert anymore.  

He is 19, pretty good size, ranked 7th in NHL Central Scouting.  Ranked mid-teens by about half the ratings places .  Ehhh let’s give him a chance.  

In full disclosure, ranked 7th among N American skaters.  That excludes several higher ranked Euro players and Askarov.

I have never seen the kid play until watching the highlights today . . . but what is there not to like about "the best goal scorer in the draft" comment on NBCSN.  

We should give the kid a break and see what he can do.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1