Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

they swung for the fences on a guy they think hasn't maxed out his potential yet, that is my only logical conclusion. It is bold strategy

bold GIF

Swing for the fences at 28-32.  At 8OA, you need a player that will definitely move the needle. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m going to say that this pick isn’t an automatic fail, even though I would have rather had Rossi, Lundell, or Jarvis.

Good news: Quinn has definite goal scoring chops.  He isn’t just a lurker waiting for one timers either.  He scores in a lot of different ways.  He also isn’t one dimensional.  He plays a smart 200ft game with effort in all areas.

Not as good news:  He is an alright passer, but I don’t think he’ll be a real playmaker at the next level.  His skating is fine, but needs to get even better to really hit his potential.  He also needs to get stronger.

Skating and strength/weight are two areas that regularly improve a lot with pro instruction.  Looking on the bright side here.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Swing for the fences at 28-32.  At 8OA, you need a player that will definitely move the needle. 

I don't disagree. 

Quinn has a lot more questions than Rossi. I just hope Quinn spent the last 7 months hitting the gym hard. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

they swung for the fences on a guy they think hasn't maxed out his potential yet, that is my only logical conclusion. It is bold strategy

bold GIF

Agree.  Honestly I would have preferred they take a guy like Rossi or Lundell who are close to sure thing decent NHLers.  

12 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

All of that is BS that people throw because he's short. If he were 2 inches taller literally nobody would worry that he was too polished.

I don't even understand that. I'm sorry, you're too good right now. I don't know what we could possibly do with you. Let's take someone that we ourselves acknowledge isn't as good as you but we think we can make him better than you despite the fact that we haven't developed prospects for crap in a decade and a half.

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, I hate it when prospects are too good and too polished.  That’s the worst.

It can be a valid criticism. If someone lives the perfect hockey player lifestyle such that there is nothing they could do to improve their fitness, lifestyle, practicing, gym routine, eating etc. etc. then the only way they improve is through ageing and experience.

I'm not saying you dont pick them because they're near their potential, but they could be seen as a safe pick. They'll probably play in the NHL because of it, but maybe they'll top out as an average 2nd line centre because they dont quite have that x factor.

In comparison Quinn basically never went to the gym until like last year.

Also worth remembering Adam's comment about dreaming on players and imagining where they could be not just where they are 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the question is, does Quinn have more in the tank than what his CHL numbers show. Is there another level there that he's reaching that will be at or above Rossi. I would be very skeptical of that but Leon Draisaitl had major skating questions going into his draft and was really behind Reinhart and Bennett... he's better than both now. 

1 minute ago, Trettioåtta said:

It can be a valid criticism. If someone lives the perfect hockey player lifestyle such that there is nothing they could do to improve their fitness, lifestyle, practicing, gym routine, eating etc. etc. then the only way they improve is through ageing and experience.

I'm not saying you dont pick them because they're near their potential, but they could be seen as a safe pick. They'll probably play in the NHL because of it, but maybe they'll top out as an average 2nd line centre because they dont quite have that x factor.

Also worth remembering Adam's comment about dreaming on players and imagining where they could be not just where they are 

My guess is they projected Rossi out to a 2nd line player with his skills and they projected Quinn out to a first line player. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Trettioåtta said:

Yeah, I get it.  I was partly joking.  

If you are going to bet on a guy making major improvements, you better be sure you are betting on the right guy.  I hope Quinn is that guy.

17 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm furious, I absolutely despise the pick since it was not only over Rossi and Perfetti but spits in the face of practically everything Adams and staff said they were doing.

We took a one dimensional goal scorer that will take at least 2 years to work his way up to the team and will more than likely flame out like many before him.

Wrong.  Every single write up has him as a exceptional 2 way player 

Here is Brock Otten's Write up from his mock draft (best guy covering the OHL by far)

Quinn ahead of Rossi? Are you insane? I have Rossi ahead of Quinn in my own personal rankings, but this is a mock draft and I do think that NHL franchises are going to put more value into what Quinn brings to the table. Elite goal scorers who play both ends of the ice do not grow on trees. Quinn is the type of player that the Jets seem to love and if the team does decide to move on from Patrik Laine, he could fill his shoes. Just look at what Mark Stone did for Vegas in the playoffs. Quinn has the potential to be that sort of impact two-way forward.

• Like (+1) 4