Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn

LGR4GM

I don't have words anymore. Quinn shouldn't have been the pick. His 52 goals is not that impressive when you understand the team he was on and the fact he scored 18 of those on the pp. He did that in 62 games on the best team the OHL has seen in years. Context matters and I don't think they got this right. Maybe Quinn will surprise us but Rossi I think should have been the pick. The good news is that Quinn doesn't have any real issues. He's a good skater, decent passer, great shooter, and seems to work hard at both ends of the ice. He needs another full OHL season and a full AHL season IMPO. That may be wrong depending on how much work he has put in since play stopped 7 months ago. Rossi put in over 600 hours, Quinn did? I guess we will find out. 

• Like (+1) 2

Pronman’s thoughts: Quinn has elite skill, as he scored 50 goals and was a driver for a top junior team. I get why he went this high. He is very talented. The average foot speed worries me a bit at that size, and he doesn’t have a long track record of elite performance. If he is the guy he was the last three months of the season consistently, he’s a true top-end prospect, but I didn’t slot him top 10 because of the lack of consistent high-end performances over the years.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I think me and you are the only ones. The talking heads seemed to love the pick. But the guys here are also very fickle I’ve noticed...

The Buffalo Sabres drafted Ryan Johnson over Nick Robertson last year. Robertson is 8 days younger and outscored Quinn. I am fickle for several very good reasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Jokeman said:

I preferred Perfetti but understand liking Quinn's size which can't be learned and a more natural wing. I don't hate the pick like others. 

He's 6ft, it isn't like he's some massive 6'4" power winger.

• Like (+1) 1

Going way back....

Rossi - sounds like a member of the Galactic Senate

Holtz - sounds like a pod racer

Quinn - sounds like a smuggler

Sanderson - nope! Not Star Warsy.  (update: I hate Sand  erson)

Askarov - sounds like a planet in the Outer Rim

Lundell - sounds like a Rebel pilot who is shot down by turbolasers

Holloway - sounds like a Rebel officer

Jarvis - sounds like an Imperial officer

Hendrix Lapierre - sounds like a bounty hunter

Zary - sounds like a helpful pilot you meet in a cantina and go on a side-adventure with

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I think me and you are the only ones. The talking heads seemed to love the pick. But the guys here are also very fickle I’ve noticed...

And he’s got a huge motor and work ethic.  Great in front of the net.  Very creative and has a ridiculous shot.  What’s not to like?  We need a top 6 scoring winger.  Anyone picked here would of been a few years out anyways.  

7 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

I would have gone with Perfetti personally

Perfetti is such a lousy hockey name.  He won't amount to much with a name like that.  Quinn?  Quinn is a hockey name.  This kid's future is so bright we'll be wearing shades.

7 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

This screams to the Pegula's seeing that we didn't score enough goals, and going for a one dimensional player in Jack Quinn.  Quinn is a quality hockey player and a first round talent, but this is such a ***** microcosm of how terrible this team is run.  The Pegula's made this pick, our GM is a puppet and I ***** hate this team.  @Pegulas get out the sport of hockey, you kill the fans every single year more and more.  I hate this selection. 

One thing I’ll say for Quinn is that I don’t think he is a one dimensional player.

I think that NJ made a pick just as bad right in front of us.